Author Topic: Writing Straight on Opaque Paper/Envelopes  (Read 6586 times)

Offline AnasaziWrites

• Super Hero Member
  • Ad astra, per aspera
    • View Profile
Writing Straight on Opaque Paper/Envelopes
« on: November 13, 2015, 12:12:40 PM »
Writing in a straight line on opaque paper (where a lightbox and guidelines beneath the paper won't work), and where drawing pencil lines and erasing them is too time consuming or impossible to erase without disturbing the paper (or they can't be seen, as on some metallic papers), this method works for me.

Using an envelope as an example,

1. place envelope atop a guideline sheet, aligning the lower edge with any straight line such that you can see guidelines on both the left and right side of the envelope. (If the piece is so large as to cover the guidelines completely, tape two sheets together side by side to create a larger guideline sheet)

2. place the laser level such that it follows a guideline across the envelope. In this example, I'm aligning it with an x-height line.

3. Write your first line along the laser light. (By lucky coincidence this particular level shoots a beam 1/16th wide, so I confine my miniscules to the width of the beam if I am writing this size).

4.  Move your work up up one guideline, keeping the guideline sheet and laser positioned as originally. This keeps you writing in the same position. Write your second line. Move your work up a line, write your third line, and so on until finished.

5. You're done, or ready for a new envelope, with no marks on the finished envelope.

There is a device called a SliderWriter which does a similar thing, but is more expensive ($60 on Amazon) vs. about $15 for the level. You're also limited in the size of your work with the SlideWriter--about the size of an 8.5 x 11 inch sheet, whereas with the level, any size is possible, even wall size or a wall itself. Also, the Slidewriter has a big footprint on your desk--the level is small, and can be positioned any distance from your work, as long as you don't block its light.

I'll often use the level without the guidelines at all, just making sure the light is parallel with the bottom of the envelope, but if you want exactly equal spacing between the lines, use the guidesheets.

Offline SunnyMoni

• View Profile
Re: Writing Straight on Opaque Paper/Envelopes
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2015, 12:17:26 PM »
I do something similar where if I can't see the guidelines beneat I place guidelines above the sheet I'm working on and constantly reference it as I'me writing. It works well for keeping the slant as it should be.
Monica

Offline handmadeletters

• Janice Reyes
    • View Profile
    • Handmade Letters
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2015, 12:47:57 PM »
Is your laser level noisy? We have one that we use for hanging up pictures and such, and it is SO noisy. That would be quite disruptive to the zen writing atmosphere.

Offline AnasaziWrites

• Super Hero Member
  • Ad astra, per aspera
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2015, 01:45:24 PM »
Is your laser level noisy? We have one that we use for hanging up pictures and such, and it is SO noisy. That would be quite disruptive to the zen writing atmosphere.
It's absolutely, totally silent.

Offline garyn

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2015, 02:31:01 PM »
I use the Phantom Lettering Guide
This is it in use.  But the guy making the video got the base backwards, the horizontal piece of the guide is supposed to be OPPOSITE the work, not under it.

Gary

Offline Marcia Aronow

• View Profile
    • Calligraphy by Marcia Aronow
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2015, 03:57:52 PM »
I've confiscated my husband's Black & Decker Angle Pro laser level for dark or opaque papers with much success.  It's completely silent.  When I use it on my light table, I place it just to the left of my guide sheet, on a rubber jar opener to keep it from sliding.
Enjoy your day!
Marcia

Offline handmadeletters

• Janice Reyes
    • View Profile
    • Handmade Letters
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2015, 01:29:30 PM »
Very cool, thanks for chiming in, Michael and Marcia! Off to Home Depot I go.

I'll have to try this out on darker paper/envelopes, but I was pleasantly surprised to see that a strong shadow can also act as a line guide. ;D

Offline garyn

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2015, 04:41:02 PM »
My problem is that, I'm not good like you guys, I need ALL the other lines, not just the base line; I also need the x-height, accender and decender lines.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2016, 03:56:47 PM by garyn »
Gary

Offline KartiniM

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 26, 2015, 07:20:37 PM »
This is GENIUS!!! Thanks so much for sharing. Now I just need to find our laser level.  ;)

Offline K2

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2018, 07:58:27 PM »
You guys are the BEST!  So appreciate your time in responding.  Thank you!  This helps a lot.