Author Topic: Recommend Supplies for Beginners  (Read 78876 times)

Offline Heebs

• View Profile
Re: Recommend Supplies for Beginners
« Reply #75 on: October 23, 2015, 02:36:08 PM »
I don't personally have any experience so I couldn't say :/ Someone else might be able to shine some light on that.

Offline AnasaziWrites

• Super Hero Member
  • Ad astra, per aspera
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: October 23, 2015, 06:29:09 PM »

Will the flat grooves of the Ziller hinder the lettering experience, do you think?
It didn't for me. It did break at the flange after about 2 months use, though. Perhaps I overstressed it. It was subsequently useful as an ink stirrer.

Offline Heebs

• View Profile
« Reply #77 on: October 23, 2015, 07:26:46 PM »
The few reviews I've read seem to suggest it is prone to breaking more often than other holders.

Offline dimins

• View Profile
    • Unravellations
« Reply #78 on: October 24, 2015, 03:11:52 AM »

Will the flat grooves of the Ziller hinder the lettering experience, do you think?
It didn't for me. It did break at the flange after about 2 months use, though. Perhaps I overstressed it. It was subsequently useful as an ink stirrer.

The few reviews I've read seem to suggest it is prone to breaking more often than other holders.

Wow, I wouldn’t have thought that. It looked pretty sturdy! I’ll keep that in mind. Perhaps I should consider other brands then. It’s unlucky that so many brands are OOS on Paper Ink & Arts.
- Mandy

Blog: Unravellations | Instagram: @dimins | Twitter: @unravellations

Offline unscripted

• View Profile
« Reply #79 on: October 24, 2015, 03:53:42 AM »
Wow, I wouldn’t have thought that. It looked pretty sturdy! I’ll keep that in mind. Perhaps I should consider other brands then. It’s unlucky that so many brands are OOS on Paper Ink & Arts.

Indeed! Scarcity increases desire, perhaps? Wait for the one you want. You can also add OOS items to your cart, checkout, and PIA will ship everything when the item arrives. Probably best to email and check with them. For the item I wanted, it was a 2-week wait.

Offline dimins

• View Profile
    • Unravellations
« Reply #80 on: October 24, 2015, 07:08:48 AM »

Indeed! Scarcity increases desire, perhaps? Wait for the one you want. You can also add OOS items to your cart, checkout, and PIA will ship everything when the item arrives. Probably best to email and check with them. For the item I wanted, it was a 2-week wait.

Thank you! If all else fails, I think that's what I have to do. I'm always so impatient after placing orders though, that 2 weeks seems like eternity to me. Haha.
- Mandy

Blog: Unravellations | Instagram: @dimins | Twitter: @unravellations

Offline garyn

• View Profile
« Reply #81 on: April 18, 2017, 04:24:18 PM »
Two years later, has the problem with the Hiro 41 been solved?
That was a really nice nib, and I would like to use it again.
Gary

Offline Erica McPhee

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • Be brave. Love life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: April 20, 2017, 08:28:16 AM »
Good question Gary @garyn  I was just wondering the same thing. On a side note, I ordered some Blanzy 2552s and they had the same problem. They are made from the same type of metal. (And look very similar.) I'm wondering if there is a connection there. I will order some Hiro 41s to see if they are better.
Warm Regards,
Erica
Lettering & Design Artist
Flourish Forum Shop
Instagram

Offline Tushar

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: September 07, 2020, 05:44:37 PM »
Hello,

I have a small question regarding the inks to be used in daily usage. At the moment I'm using my fountain pen inks for daily practice in my exercise notebook. But I really find them too liquidy. They are not very thick. Kindly suggest some generic low budget inks for daily use.

Regards
Tushar

:) :)

Offline Erica McPhee

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • Be brave. Love life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: September 07, 2020, 10:12:06 PM »
Hi Tushar,
My favorite practice ink is Tom Norton’s walnut ink. It lasts a long time and works well for both pointed pen and broad edge. I also like Higgins Eternal Ink for beginners.

Also, check the threads here: https://www.theflourishforum.com/faq/ Under Inks. You may find some more good info.

Good luck!
Warm Regards,
Erica
Lettering & Design Artist
Flourish Forum Shop
Instagram

Offline InkyFingers

• All creations not equal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: September 07, 2020, 11:06:54 PM »
+1 to Erica

Personally I haven't tried it and everyone on this forum recommends it.  Like yourself, I used fountain pen inks.  Somewhere on this forum, it is said to mix water with the fountain pen ink.
Use a different container to add water to the fountain pen inks (ratio matters.)  Fountain pen inks have sulfactant to lower the surface tension, hence, making it flow nicely for fountain pen use.
Adding water dilutes both ink and sulfactant, hence making the ink "less" liquidy.

In the past, I have added sugar, honey, and glycerine.  All worked well and when dried, a light shine can be seen at an angle, and a bit sticky.  Now I just add a thickener to my ink, gum of arabic liquid. 

What appears as "liquidy" might also have to do with the way your nib is prepared.