Author Topic: When to change nibs ?  (Read 2094 times)

Offline Tales from the Nib

• View Profile
When to change nibs ?
« on: February 19, 2017, 02:10:27 PM »
I wondered if I might ask a question ? Hope I posted in the right section ?
I write Engrossers script, and my favourite nibs are the Nikko G, Zebra G and the Baignol & Farjon Incomparable nibs.
I do change nibs when I feel I must, but how long can you use a nib for, I mean, Is there an obvious sign that my nib is ready for the trash ?
After changing nibs I then think, "Erm, can I get a few more days/weeks out of the nib, then I feel wasteful ?
I am most probably being silly worrying about a nib, But I do feel bad for wasting whatever could be left in the nib.
Many thanks for ant replies, you advice is very welcome.
Take Care
S x
« Last Edit: February 19, 2017, 02:15:10 PM by Tales from the Nib »

Offline AndyT

• Super Hero Member
    • View Profile
Re: When to change nibs ?
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2017, 02:57:56 PM »
This has been discussed here on and off since the forum's beginning, I should think.  It's a good question, but it's a personal decision so probably the best answer is "when it gets annoying".  That varies from one person to another - for instance I'm prepared to put up with a good deal of scratchiness but others will chuck a nib as soon as it starts to head that way.  Chubby hairlines I can't abide, however.

The main signs of a nib which is on its way out are scratchiness, a tendency to pick up paper fibres, thickening hairlines and a general feeling that it's not much fun to write with.  Sharp, highly flexible pens have a much shorter life than blunter, stiffer ones.  The latter are susceptible to a little careful polishing to extend their life if you can be bothered, whereas the former are not really worth the hassle in my opinion.  In the end pointed nibs are consumables, after all - but edged nibs can be resharpened many times and may potentially be kept going for years.  Your G nibs are likely to last quite well; I've no idea about the Incomparable though.

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2017, 03:28:15 PM »
Thank you Andy, I usually swap to a new nib when my hairlines get thicker, and I just get a feeling, but wasn't sure if this was correct, or I was being panickerty, sometimes it just feels like its the wrong nib, even if I've used it the previous day ?
But as I Saud wasn't sure if this was wasteful or not.
The Incomparable is really nice, I wasn't familiar with writing with Vintage nibs, but I'm really fond of it, it's lovely to write with.
My pet hate is a nib picking up paper, it is quite horrible arghhhhh, not fond of thick hair lines either  :)

Offline vonking1980

• View Profile
    • MyAmari
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2017, 04:10:33 AM »
This has been posted before, but you can always make earrings with the old ones  :D
I'm with you; I hate wasting stuff. I don't have great advice on this since I'm still learning the ropes and have probably run my Nikko into the ground, but you might switch out and keep the old one. Come back to it in a couple of days and if it's still that much worse, it's probably done.

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2017, 06:34:00 AM »
This has been posted before, but you can always make earrings with the old ones  :D
I'm with you; I hate wasting stuff. I don't have great advice on this since I'm still learning the ropes and have probably run my Nikko into the ground, but you might switch out and keep the old one. Come back to it in a couple of days and if it's still that much worse, it's probably done.

Thank you Yvonne, it turned out I had a faulty nib, my current nib is great, and lasting well, the last one was terrible after two days,
I know I write a lot, but that was just plain old silly ha ha  :)   

Offline Starlee

• Super Hero Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2017, 09:10:56 AM »
I use Leonardt Principal almost exclusively, and I wear it down to the bone. It can catch, splatter, pick up fibres all it wants, but if it is still produces the gorgeous swells I love so much, I keep using it....sometimes for months. Since I'm just a 'doodler' of a calligrapher anyway, the nib has to be really bad for me to throw it away. But this only applies to nibs that were working really well for a period of time. As you discovered, some nibs are just duds. If they don't write well from the start, I give them a chance and try to break them in, but if after a few sessions I haven't warmed up to its feel, I move on.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2017, 09:12:52 AM by Starlee »
Star

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2017, 09:37:39 AM »
I use Leonardt Principal almost exclusively, and I wear it down to the bone. It can catch, splatter, pick up fibres all it wants, but if it is still produces the gorgeous swells I love so much, I keep using it....sometimes for months. Since I'm just a 'doodler' of a calligrapher anyway, the nib has to be really bad for me to throw it away. But this only applies to nibs that were working really well for a period of time. As you discovered, some nibs are just duds. If they don't write well from the start, I give them a chance and try to break them in, but if after a few sessions I haven't warmed up to its feel, I move on.

I'm with you STar, it was awful, but just kept thinking Oh I am having a bad couple of writing days, you know.......Nope the nib was definitely a DUD  ;)

Offline Elizgadus59

• I LOVE LETTERS!!!
    • View Profile
    • Elizscriptscalligraphy
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2017, 12:06:38 AM »
Im so glad that someone put this to the board.

I love a good nib, but when it makes noise, skips, then I usually change.... but..... put it aside. I also find that ink, paper can affect the quality . Sometimes if I just change the ink, paper.... it helps. but if your in the middle of a wedding envelope...that's kind of hard to do. What Ive learned is that certain nibs, inks work best with certain papers.
As if a burned out nib wasn't enough.

A good example is  Cranes..... they are highly fiberous and always catch my nibs so I had to change to a more round point so I didn't get that problem. Lightly sanding your paper can also help( very fine sandpaper or nail file).

I will now get off my soap box......
Elizabeth

ash0kgiri

« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2017, 08:08:56 AM »
Since I have started writing much more my nibs are not lasting that longer. So few symptoms that mostly all of them said were, much scratchy, catching up on paper, splatter, ink holding problems & breaking. I usually keep them for warmup sessions so that I can freely do my flourishes without worrying about the new nib getting damaged.

Hope this helps Sarah.

Keep writing,
-Ashok