Author Topic: Recommend Supplies for Beginners  (Read 78868 times)

Offline patweecia

• View Profile
    • Patty Paperie
Re: Recommend Supplies for Beginners
« Reply #15 on: July 09, 2014, 03:26:02 AM »
Hello, :D
I'm new to the art and I'm a left-handed writer, just wanna ask if it is advisable to buy a left-handed oblique holder? Or will the usual work just as fine?

Hi Patzy,  I'm not a leftie but I've read that you can use the regular nib holders as well :)
patricia
instagram    |   blog    |   facebook

Offline AndyT

• Super Hero Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 09, 2014, 03:33:30 AM »
Me neither, but theoretically being left handed should confer an advantage when it comes to writing slanted styles - which must come as a pleasant surprise.  :)  A straight holder may well be fine, Patzy, but you could always get a basic Speedball oblique to experiment with because those can be used either way up.  Might come in handy for upright scripts, funnily enough.

Offline Heebs

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 09, 2014, 12:06:47 PM »
Also depends what kind of lefty you are, i've got friends with some interesting lefty writing arm positions  :o

Offline AndyT

• Super Hero Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 09, 2014, 05:44:23 PM »
That's true, I got talking to a lefthanded over-writer recently.  Very strange indeed - what do you do?  Use a right handed oblique holder, angle the paper like a right hander ... and write upside down?   ???

Offline PatzyMD

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 25, 2014, 02:47:58 PM »
Hello, :D
I'm new to the art and I'm a left-handed writer, just wanna ask if it is advisable to buy a left-handed oblique holder? Or will the usual work just as fine?

Hi Patzy,  I'm not a leftie but I've read that you can use the regular nib holders as well :)

Thank you! I'm currently using a straight nib holder and am experimenting on a variety of nibs. I always fear the upstrokes, it seems like the  nibs are going to snap in half... it snags the paper when I write. Maybe I'm holding it the wrong way..? >m<

Offline PatzyMD

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 25, 2014, 03:02:53 PM »
Me neither, but theoretically being left handed should confer an advantage when it comes to writing slanted styles - which must come as a pleasant surprise.  :)  A straight holder may well be fine, Patzy, but you could always get a basic Speedball oblique to experiment with because those can be used either way up.  Might come in handy for upright scripts, funnily enough.

Thank you! I decided to buy a straight holder and I'm now using it for practice :D though I'm having some snagging problems (I'll be able to get over it with practice, I hope). I do have a slanted penmanship but it's hard to maintain when I'm using a dip pen. Without the warm-ups, I always end up with combined slants and uprights. And I always get smudges. But I'm having fun learning. XD

Offline Ergative

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 25, 2014, 03:19:58 PM »
Patzy, I had some terrible problems with snagging when I first started. My suggestions:

1. Make sure the paper you have is very very very smooth! It was a revelation when I finally switched to a Rhodia pad and everything suddenly got better.
2. Get a nib that's known for being smooth. The Gillott 303, which I started with, is pretty snaggy. The Nikko G, which I'm using now, is incredibly smooth.
Clara

Offline PatzyMD

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 25, 2014, 03:42:53 PM »
Patzy, I had some terrible problems with snagging when I first started. My suggestions:

1. Make sure the paper you have is very very very smooth! It was a revelation when I finally switched to a Rhodia pad and everything suddenly got better.
2. Get a nib that's known for being smooth. The Gillott 303, which I started with, is pretty snaggy. The Nikko G, which I'm using now, is incredibly smooth.

so it's the paper that I need to change rather than the nib holder..? I'll take note of that. I was thinking that since I'm left handed, maybe I'm positioning the nib incorrectly, which brought the idea of getting the left-handed holder.
Anyways, I'll probably try Nikko G too. Thank you very much! :D

Offline PatzyMD

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 25, 2014, 03:45:05 PM »
Also depends what kind of lefty you are, i've got friends with some interesting lefty writing arm positions  :o

Oh, I think I'm an overwriter. And yes, some lefties have not-so-ordinary writing positions. Even the grip is weird sometimes. X)
I'm currently practicing with a straight holder but there is inconsistency with the slants...and smudges.

Offline Heebs

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 25, 2014, 03:47:12 PM »
It can be a combination of nib/paper/angle but a sharp nib tends to cause beginners problems (happened to me!). Something like the Gillott 303, Brause 66 EF or Principal is better saved till after you get used to having a lighter hand. Although all of those are good at forcing you to have a light touch.

Offline PatzyMD

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 25, 2014, 04:07:24 PM »
It can be a combination of nib/paper/angle but a sharp nib tends to cause beginners problems (happened to me!). Something like the Gillott 303, Brause 66 EF or Principal is better saved till after you get used to having a lighter hand. Although all of those are good at forcing you to have a light touch.

Snags! XD
More practice will make it better. I have Brause 66 EF and it's the only nib that works for me. But it makes sense that I have to work on the light strokes first. Thank you very much! :D

Offline garyn

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 28, 2014, 01:15:13 AM »
@PatzyMD
A couple good practice paper that I've used are:
- Staples, Sustainable Earth 20# sugar cane paper.  It may not feel that smooth, but my nibs do not snag in this paper, under normal writing.
- HP 32# premium.  Some people say this is similar to Clairefontaine, but a lot cheaper.

Developing a light touch is HARD.  But if you keep at it, you will get there.
Gary

Offline Veronica. H

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 10, 2014, 12:03:42 AM »
Hi,

Does anybody use  Rohrer & Klingner Calligraphy Ink before or their Antik ink?
I learned that they are an old ink manufacturer from Germany since 1892.

I searched online regarding the ink review vs Dr. ph martin, Higgins and other calligraphy inks such as Mc Caffery's and etc but couldn't find any.
I am curious about Rohrer & Klingner's ink consistency and quality when you use it with pointed nibs. Do they produce a fine thin lines?

Anyone care to share?

Thanks!

-Veronica-

Offline Cam N.

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 09, 2015, 11:12:52 PM »
I just ordered some two weeks ago and the batch I received definitely is better. Still not 100% though. They take a little bit longer to break in and for that weird finish to wear off. But nothing as bad as it was.

Do you think they have fixed the problem yet? I am using that nib now, and am experiencing problems with it. I bought it back in June/July of last year in case you are wondering.

Offline Erica McPhee

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • Be brave. Love life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 10, 2015, 01:08:20 AM »
Hi Cam,
I think they are better but not like they were way back when. Perhaps they changed what they are using to coat them or something. I find I have to work hard to take the coating off. But then they work as they should.  :)
Warm Regards,
Erica
Lettering & Design Artist
Flourish Forum Shop
Instagram