Author Topic: Hello from western NY state!  (Read 1158 times)

Offline JessicaC

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
    • My card-making gallery
Hello from western NY state!
« on: April 08, 2014, 01:50:51 AM »
I'm so grateful that the Lord led me to this wonderful forum!  Thank you, Erica, for creating such a warm and welcoming environment. 

I've been primarily a rubber stamper and card maker for the past 16 years and have amassed quite a collection of stamps, paper, and ink!  Through rubber stamping, I've discovered artistic talent I never knew I had.  I've learned to use watercolors, colored pencils, and my beloved Copic markers. 

I took a 6 week Foundational calligraphy course 15 years ago with a wonderful teacher, but I didn't keep it up unfortunately.  Partly because it wasn't really my style and partly because my health took a turn for the worse.  I struggle with Myalgic Encephalomyelitis, which causes severe exhaustion, poor stamina, the inability to recover normally from mental or physical exertion, and affects every system of the body.  It literally took me all day to write this post because I had to take a break between almost every sentence.  Despite all this, I think I can devote 10 minutes a day to learning Copperplate and can't wait to get started on Erica's awesome tutorials.  Now and then I hope to post my progress for gentle critique.  :)

Offline thistledesignstudio

• View Profile
Re: Hello from western NY state!
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2014, 11:26:30 AM »
Welcome!  Erica's forum is a fantastic resource!  :)  Would love some watercolour help so maybe you can help me!  LOL!
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Blog  |  Instagram

Offline Erica McPhee

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • Be brave. Love life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2014, 01:46:05 PM »
Hi Jessica,
Welcome to the forum! I did a lot of rubber stamping some time ago (still have a huge bin of rubber stamps sitting in the garage). It's great your creativity has blossomed from this craft. It's a perfect gateway to other art forms.

You are lucky to have had foundational as a good foundation (haha) to learning calligraphy. I'm not a huge fan of the hand either (I'm more the flourishing type!) but it is monumental in terms of developing a good foundation for learning other styles.

I also have a lot of experience with ME/CFS so I understand very well how difficult it is. I think it is great you have the determination to learn in small segments.  :)

We look forward to seeing your work!
Warm Regards,
Erica
Lettering & Design Artist
Flourish Forum Shop
Instagram

Offline JessicaC

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
    • My card-making gallery
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2014, 01:30:31 AM »
Welcome!  Erica's forum is a fantastic resource!  :)  Would love some watercolour help so maybe you can help me!  LOL!

Thanks for the welcome!  I would be much better help at rubber stamping and coloring with Copics!  Watercoloring doesn't really allow for second chances and I have a tendency to work the paper to death.

Offline JessicaC

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
    • My card-making gallery
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2014, 01:34:59 AM »
Hi Jessica,
Welcome to the forum! I did a lot of rubber stamping some time ago (still have a huge bin of rubber stamps sitting in the garage). It's great your creativity has blossomed from this craft. It's a perfect gateway to other art forms.

You are lucky to have had foundational as a good foundation (haha) to learning calligraphy. I'm not a huge fan of the hand either (I'm more the flourishing type!) but it is monumental in terms of developing a good foundation for learning other styles.

I also have a lot of experience with ME/CFS so I understand very well how difficult it is. I think it is great you have the determination to learn in small segments.  :)

Thanks, Erica.  Yes, I was very lucky to learn the basics of Foundational.  My teacher got to learn from Bill Lilly, so I was doubly lucky!  I find now that I'm practicing it again, I'm better at it, even with such a large time gap.  Maybe I just got smarter.  ;)

That's neat that you're familiar with M.E. (I hate the name CFS so I'm boycotting it!)   I'm looking into some alternative treatments right now, including Terry Wahl's protocol.  Not sure I can do it, because it's so drastic!
We look forward to seeing your work!