Author Topic: Has anyone heard from Sybille?  (Read 2373 times)

Offline Elisabeth_M

• View Profile
    • Instagram
Has anyone heard from Sybille?
« on: March 22, 2016, 07:39:54 AM »
I just woke up and saw the news about the bombings in Brussels and that made me think of sybillevz. Has anyone heard from her?  I hope she is safe!
Science is a way of thinking much more than it is a body of knowledge.  --Carl Sagan

Instagram

Offline valerie a.

• Freshman Member
  • Frenchie.Leftie.Translator & Jewelry artist
    • View Profile
Re: Has anyone heard from Sybille?
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2016, 08:17:15 AM »
she's allright, you may go over to IG to check her last post  :)
My other IG account: @lune_hiver
Twitter/Periscope: @ferrogallique

Offline Elisabeth_M

• View Profile
    • Instagram
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2016, 08:28:40 AM »
Thanks, Valerie!  I sent her a PM just before I posted here and have heard back from her that she and her close relatives are safe.
Science is a way of thinking much more than it is a body of knowledge.  --Carl Sagan

Instagram

Offline valerie a.

• Freshman Member
  • Frenchie.Leftie.Translator & Jewelry artist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2016, 09:21:57 AM »
You're welcome! This is just horrifying...
My other IG account: @lune_hiver
Twitter/Periscope: @ferrogallique

Offline sybillevz

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2016, 03:29:24 PM »
I don't know how I missed this post earlier, but thanks for your concern @Elisabeth_M , I am really touched !
Sorry for bringing this post up again, I know it's a very old one  ;)

Offline Elisabeth_M

• View Profile
    • Instagram
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2016, 11:24:36 AM »
I don't know how I missed this post earlier, but thanks for your concern @Elisabeth_M , I am really touched !
Sorry for bringing this post up again, I know it's a very old one  ;)

@sybillevz

I'm glad you saw the post and commented on it because it reminded me to ask how things are in your country since the bombings.  In the US, we had the 15th anniversary of the attacks on the World Trade Center and it made me think how things have changed in the US since then. Most of it has not been for the better, unfortunately.  There were two paths we could have taken as a country after that tragedy, we could become paranoid and fearful and allow that to rule our thinking and actions, or we could band together in support of each other and be determined not to let the tragedy change the good things we had.  Unfortunately, we took the former. 

So, I was wondering how you and your family and your country as a whole have been faring since the bombings.  Do you feel like you all have fully recovered or are you still feeling the effects?  Have there been changes in the way things are done and if so what do you think about the changes?

Instagram

Offline sybillevz

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2016, 04:11:54 AM »
That's a big question  ;) !

I think Belgians are mostly friendly, peaceful and quiet. There is no doubt that the migrant situation has caused tensions, specially in bigger cities, but the bombings didn't really change us.
They changed the way some people travel (there are many more bikes in the streets) and I am sure that people are more cautious in the metro... For a time there were more policemen and soldiers in the street, we still can't have big scale parties without proper security, but as far as I can tell Belgians don't want to drop bombs wherever. We never liked war, never actually wanted to take part in any war (but you know how it is with international treaties)... And that hasn't changed.
I think most of us fought the paranoia and fear, and we learned to get past our (many) differences for some time... But Belgium is a complicated country, I can't say we banded together. We support each other in tragedies, but in everyday business and politics nothing has changed and the bosses are still as selfish and stupid as they were. In a way, a lot of us forgot what happened by not allowing ourselves to get angry.

I live in the countryside and have lost interest in everyday news : I just listen to the radio in the morning to learn about the most important things but I don't like getting sucked in the endless political zizany. I am grateful to be able to live without fear, but I know that whatever happens it will finally catch up with me...

Offline sybillevz

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2016, 03:21:58 AM »
I forgot to tell you about our very particular sense of humour that has helped us deal with the most difficult episodes of our history, be it the end of our colonial "empire", war occupations and every inconvenient that came with these, even death and horror... I think we all believe that if we don't want to cry about something, we might as well just laugh about it... a lot !
So it didn't take us a lot of time after the bombings to come up with distasteful jokes...
I know not everyone will understand that, but it's just the way we are and I have to say it really does help a lot !