Author Topic: The Curious Artisan - Oblique holders worth the price?  (Read 14930 times)

Offline darrin1200

• View Profile
    • Timber Elegance Pens
Re: The Curious Artisan - Oblique holders worth the price?
« Reply #45 on: March 27, 2017, 08:09:39 AM »
@FirebirdArts  You sound disappointed that it might be polyester resin. Is there something about polyester resin that you are not fond of? As a maker, I am always interested to know artist's likes and dislikes when it comes to materials.

I have never worked with it before, from what I have been told, is its only draw back is that it is more brittle and and harder to machine. From a makers perspective, it's  advantage is that it does not require high pressure to mix.

Darrin McArthur
Timber Elegance ~ Handcrafted Writing Instruments

Offline melanie jane

• View Profile
    • English Pen Crafts
« Reply #46 on: March 27, 2017, 08:38:07 AM »
Well, as a fellow penmaker, I'll give you my opinion. 

Whilst polyester is indeed easy and cheap to make, I personally wouldn't use if for my pens.  I would never feel comfortable sending a pen out, knowing that if it happened to be dropped on a hard floor it could shatter, or if was accidentally bent a little too much it could snap.  I know that any pen could break accidentally, but the more I can minimise the risk, the better.  My customers are valuable to me, and I wouldn't want to ruin my relationship with them over trying to cut corners (or costs) through using an inferior resin. 

Custom penholders aren't cheap, and the least we can do, as penmakers, is invest in the proper equipment to make pens which are worth the price tag. 
Permanently distracted making penholders

English Pen Crafts  Instagram

Offline melanie jane

• View Profile
    • English Pen Crafts
« Reply #47 on: March 27, 2017, 08:55:41 AM »
@FirebirdArts I should also say, I'd be surprised if Tom's Studio was using polyester.  His holders are lovely and look well made. Give him a little more time to reply.

Offline FirebirdArts

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: March 27, 2017, 09:04:30 AM »
@darrin1200 : My thing is, I want something that's going to stand up to my lifestyle.  Learning that polyester resin is more fragile and knowing how things get thrown at me, I like to anticipate my needs by buying things that are going to stand up to what gets thrown at me.  Now I'm not saying I want an indestructible pen, but rather I'd like to know that per se it falls off my desk onto tile (due to one earthquake or another) I'd like to find out it's still useable, not completely shattered.  That said I've seen some really nice pieces of resin and now I know why they break.

@melanie jane : I am totally happy to pay your prices (when I can afford them) because of not only the work you put into it but how much consideration you put into your products.  Also I haven't written him off yet...but it has been a few days...and if they're not they're really pretty, I'd definitely consider getting at least one...:)

Offline darrin1200

• View Profile
    • Timber Elegance Pens
« Reply #49 on: March 27, 2017, 09:32:08 AM »
@melanie jane I couldn't agree more with you. I have turned a few PR (polyester resin) blanks, and found them to be very chippy while turning. I have not made anything thin with it, so no experience with its flexibility. It's good to hear your experiences.
Up until no,  I have only used the "Water Clear", which does have quite a bit of give. I have a batch of Alumilite's newer "Clear Slow" which is supposed to have a longer open time, is harder and polishes better. However, life just keeps getting in the way every time I plan to give it a try. Hopefully I will soon, and I will let you know.

@FirebirdArts I checked out Tom's page. Those are some beauriful holders with the copper swarf in resin. I have a box of alluminum swarf thats been waiting about two months for me to try out this technique. I think its time to jump off the procrastination train and get to it. Thanks for this threa,  to give me that extra push.
Darrin McArthur

Offline FirebirdArts

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: March 27, 2017, 09:49:52 AM »
@darrin1200 : I honestly loved the copper in the resin...it was absolutely gorgeous...that's why I'd be disappointed if it was a polyester resin...because I want it...hahahaha!!  ;D ;D ;D

Offline melanie jane

• View Profile
    • English Pen Crafts
« Reply #51 on: March 27, 2017, 10:15:37 AM »
@darrin1200 I've spoken to trade suppliers of resins, and they've all recommended polyurethane resin as being far superior to polyester, which has also been my experience.  I've also been through LOTS of polyurethane resins, trying to find the best one for my needs.  Of course polyurethane isn't 100% break proof, but I'm confident that it's the best product available for our needs.  There is also, no doubt, the case to be made that not all polyester pens are going to shatter as soon as you look at them - I'm sure that many will provide years of trouble free service.

Maybe I will do a break test comparison on instagram one day.

Offline FirebirdArts

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: April 01, 2017, 12:50:49 PM »
@melanie jane : That would be something to see...I'd like that...some home tests to see how the different resins stand up to different things...of course in the shape of the pen...;)

Offline darrin1200

• View Profile
    • Timber Elegance Pens
« Reply #53 on: May 03, 2017, 08:46:50 AM »
Darrin, yes my experiences are similar - I only wish that I could get Alumilite in large quantities over here in the UK (I can get Alumilite White, but not Clear).  Instead I've had to go through the lengthy and expensive process of trying out various clear polyurethane resins, to find one which suits my purposes.  Fortunately, I think I've found one with a long open time, so I can use a vacuum chamber, rather than a pressure pot, to remove the bubbles.  (I have the equipment for both, but am happier using the vacuum, for the reasons you stated).

Hi @melanie jane. I know you have a hard time finding Alumilite in the UK.  I just came across this link in another forum, in case you hadn't seen them.
http://www.metalclay.co.uk/alumilite-clear-resin-940ml-32-fl-oz/

Darrin McArthur

Offline melanie jane

• View Profile
    • English Pen Crafts
« Reply #54 on: May 03, 2017, 08:57:33 AM »
@darrin1200 Hi Darrin, thanks very much, yes I am in contact with them...I was hoping that they'd order in larger quantities but they just got those little bottles which work out expensive.  Luckily, I've found an alternative resin which I'm happy with at the moment.  But thanks again :-)