Author Topic: San Francisco stores?  (Read 1893 times)

Offline Scap

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
San Francisco stores?
« on: February 09, 2016, 07:00:45 PM »
I am going to spend the next week and a half in San Francisco (business travel) and will be right around Union Square. Any good calligraphy related stores to check out?

Thanks.

Offline Bianca M

• Super Hero Member
  • Tempus Fugit
    • View Profile
    • Bianca Mascorro Calligraphy & Art
Re: San Francisco stores?
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2016, 07:42:00 PM »
Well, the best one I know of was Flax, but they are moving to Oakland by 2/15 at earliest.  They have opened up a smaller store in Fort Mason, but I have yet to visit it and check out if they've carried over any of their ink/nib/paper supply to that location.  If they haven't moved from their Market Street location by the time you're there (seems unlikely that they will), definitely consider going - the whole store is glorious!  www.flaxart.com

Other than that, I know Bellocchio (www.bellocchio.com/catalogue/papeterie/) has a lovely stationery selection, as well as some ink and nib offerings, but I can't speak for the extent of it since I refuse to let myself go in there - I've been told by friends that it will obliterate my bank account. 

I hope there is someone here that can provide another option - I've been on the hunt!  About a year ago I was told by someone at the art supply store that I usually go to in SF that "calligraphy is a dying art" and they weren't going to restock their nibs (he no longer works there, thank god, and there is a decent supply still, but not great). 

Have a good trip!

Offline schin

• Super Hero Member
  • Las Vegas
    • View Profile
    • Openinkstand
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2016, 11:36:22 PM »
I was just around there last weekend, and spent way too much time at Castle in the Air, which is next to Miki's paper. But this is at Berkeley, not San Fran.

The San Fran public library has a calligraphy collection worth checking out too.
OPENINKSTAND // website | blog |instagramyoutube

Offline Scap

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2016, 11:43:05 AM »
Thanks for the input. I also found Blick Art to be around the corner from my Hotel so I will check them out as well.

Offline Bianca M

• Super Hero Member
  • Tempus Fugit
    • View Profile
    • Bianca Mascorro Calligraphy & Art
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2016, 01:03:14 PM »
I was just around there last weekend, and spent way too much time at Castle in the Air, which is next to Miki's paper. But this is at Berkeley, not San Fran.

The San Fran public library has a calligraphy collection worth checking out too.

Schin, isn't Castle in the Air awesome???  So is Miki's Paper, of course.  But, yes, it's a trek across the bridge.