Author Topic: nib snagging on paper  (Read 5770 times)

Offline heatherly

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
nib snagging on paper
« on: December 05, 2013, 04:55:18 PM »
I am a major newbie here and I have been starting with the tutorials on this forum. I seem to have a lot of trouble with the nib snagging on the paper (and sometimes splattering ink around in the process!).  Just wondering if this is more a matter of my inexperience that will improve in time, or is it more my choice of nib/paper?

Offline Erica McPhee

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • Be brave. Love life!
    • View Profile
Re: nib snagging on paper
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2013, 07:12:38 PM »
Hi!

It  can be any number of factors. First, make sure you have prepared your nib properly as I demonstrated in the tutorial here: http://theflourishforum.com/forum/index.php?topic=63.0. This can make a difference. Also, check your nib tines and be sure they are even and not bent.

Second, nibs will start to skip and splatter when they are worn out. So if you have been using your nib for some time, it could be time to move on to the next one. I find nibs have a sweet spot, meaning they take a bit to warm up and go smoothly, then they sail across the page, then when they are wearing out they start to skip again.

Third, make sure your paper isn't too porous or textured.

Fourth, vary your pressure to see if you are pressing too hard (or too soft).

Lastly, make sure you are going in the right direction. If you look at the worksheets, there are little arrows and numbers to show the proper direction. The nib will fight back if you are going in the wrong direction.

I hope others will chime in with their tips, too!  :D
Warm Regards,
Erica
Lettering & Design Artist
Flourish Forum Shop
Instagram

Offline Erica McPhee

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • Be brave. Love life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2013, 07:14:10 PM »
Almost forgot -- sadly, some nibs are duds right out of the box/bag. So no matter what you do, they won't write well. This doesn't happen often but I find when it does, it is usually several in the batch. I gave up on EF 66s once because of a bad batch.  :o
Warm Regards,
Erica
Flourish Forum Shop
Instagram

Offline heatherly

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2013, 08:56:46 PM »
Thanks Erica! I guess I am finding it happening mostly on the thin up strokes. I will take a closer look at the paper/nibs to see if I can figure this out. Thanks so much for all your suggestions. :-)

Offline Erica McPhee

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • Be brave. Love life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2013, 10:54:47 PM »
Yes, the trickiest part (those upstrokes)!  :D
Warm Regards,
Erica
Flourish Forum Shop
Instagram

Offline schin

• Super Hero Member
  • Las Vegas
    • View Profile
    • Openinkstand
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2013, 11:37:34 PM »
Michael Sull suggests to gently run a nib up against your thumb. A good nib will be able to run though with no problems, but a nib that needs replacing will prick into the little grooves on the thumbprint. I find this is a good rule of thumb (sorry can't resist the pun)!
OPENINKSTAND // website | blog |instagramyoutube

Offline Sherry Lu

• View Profile
    • Sherry Lu Photography
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2013, 01:50:38 AM »
I find that happens more with my more flexible nibs (Brause Rose, Brause 66EF), and rarely with my stiffer nibs (Nikko G). It also depends on if I'm having a heavy handed day or not... :/ Haha.

Offline Letterlady

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
    • Louisville Calligraphy & Art
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2014, 05:58:17 PM »
When I first tried pointed pen lettering, the only nib I could get was Hunt 101.  It was too sharp for my (then) heavy hand.  I had spatters, torn papers and broken nibs.  It was total frustration for me and I put pointed pen aside for many years.  All the above tips are good.  I also do the 'thumb' test, and the paper can also play into the snagging.  Try a little gum sandarac on the paper if none of the other tips solves the problem.  And try early on to develop a light touch.

Offline Erica McPhee

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • Be brave. Love life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2014, 09:26:27 PM »
Those are great tips! I just dug out some of my old Hunt 101 and 22 and 56 nibs to do a nib comparison chart. I have become so spoiled with the Nikko G and Hiro41! I forgot how temperamental those other nibs are!  :o
Warm Regards,
Erica
Flourish Forum Shop
Instagram

Offline YokePenCo

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2014, 08:38:12 PM »
Also one more thing is to adjust your nib to paper angle. Too steep of an angle can result in snagging.

A great video from Dr. Joe Vitolo is at this link...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eqF5-dKmViQ
« Last Edit: January 14, 2014, 08:46:08 PM by YokePenCo »
Christopher J. Yoke
www.yokepencompany.com