Author Topic: Calligra-blessings  (Read 1270 times)

Offline Elisabeth_M

• View Profile
    • Instagram
Calligra-blessings
« on: July 28, 2017, 11:39:38 AM »
Two of your calligraphy friends have decided to tie the knot.  They met about a year and a half ago when you and your calligraphy friends and a rival calligraphy gang accidentally ran into each other at a bar.  They managed to slip away just before the shin kicking started and have been joined at the hip ever since.  The match left you all shaking your heads since they fall on opposite sides of *that* argument, but “a rose by any other name…” etc., etc.

Their wedding rapidly became the calligraphy event of the year, second only maybe IAMPETH.  The invitation design process almost caused the happy couple to stop speaking to each other, but every relationship has its challenges.  As with many couples, they wanted their special day to reflect their tastes and interests and so the reception is like some sort of crazy tribute to calligraphy with each table named after a different style of script (with the place cards reflecting the table names), the favors are a dip pen, two nibs, and a small vial of walnut ink crystals, and the guestbook signatures are so over the top, guests are taking pictures of them.  To avoid arguments, the calligraphers are all sitting at tables with typewritten place cards, except for @Scarlet Blue  whose place card is in uncial because the newlyweds have a twisted sense of humor.

There is also a beautifully done sign at the bar declaring, “No Shots for Calligraphers,” causing the calligraphers to look a bit sheepish and change the subject quickly when someone asks them about it.

The couple registered for calligraphy supplies of all things (because who needs more dishes when you could have a bespoke dip pen?).  Of course, nothing but a handmade card would do for such an occasion and you have put a lot of time and effort into designing The Perfect Card complete with a blessing for the happy couple.  With such a wedding, and such a card, the blessing is, of course, related to calligraphy.

So.

What do you write for the calligra-blessing for your card?

May your hands always be steady,
Your nibs never rust,
Your bleedproof white never grow mold,
And may you always be willing to donate spit to each other
(On your nibs, get your minds out of the gutter)
Science is a way of thinking much more than it is a body of knowledge.  --Carl Sagan

Instagram

Offline Scarlet Blue

• I do joined up writing.
    • View Profile
    • Wonky Words
Re: Calligra-blessings
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2017, 11:47:54 AM »
My blessing will probably be heavy on the descender rather than the ascender due to the Uncial place card debacle. I will have a think about it  ;)

Offline Elisabeth_M

• View Profile
    • Instagram
Re: Calligra-blessings
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2017, 02:08:28 PM »
My blessing will probably be heavy on the descender rather than the ascender due to the Uncial place card debacle. I will have a think about it  ;)

You're rethinking giving them those vintage Gillott Principality nibs you lucked out on finding at a flea market, aren't you?  ;)
Science is a way of thinking much more than it is a body of knowledge.  --Carl Sagan

Instagram