Author Topic: Zaner-Bloser Penmanship Collection (Inc Business Educator Issues)  (Read 8431 times)

Offline Andrew H

• View Profile
This is an absolutely incredible resource for pointed pen lessons and exemplars! Not to mention history, trivia and the occasional quirk. The University of Scranton has scanned, in extremely high resolution, almost all the issues of the Business Educator, along with many other examples of brilliant penmanship from the Zaner-Bloser collection.

http://digitalservices.scranton.edu/cdm/landingpage/collection/zanerbloser

I had assumed this must have been posted before—it seems like such an incredible resource—but I couldn't find it in a search here and I've never seen anyone so much as mention it on IG. My apologies if this is something everyone except me is aware of, it wouldn't surprise me! ;)

You can download any of the pages to your own computer for free and I've gone through and done this with most of the copperplate lessons and exemplars. It does take quite a while, but worth doing to have them at your fingertips. I could share a Dropbox link, but I'm not sure if that's permissible use of the resource? For anyone interested in some of the best copperplate lessons in existence, look up Vols 14 and 20 for lesson series' by Willis Baird; these are the same lessons on Dr Vitolo's site (zanerian.com) but in much much higher quality.

There's also Horace Healey's collection of original work: http://digitalservices.scranton.edu/cdm/search/collection/zanerbloser/searchterm/The%20Horace%20G.%20Healey%20Collection/field/relati/mode/exact/page/1

You can search by penman from a dropdown menu, but I find you get much better results from typing a penman's name i.e. "Lupfer", or a term such as "coppperplate" or "engrosser" directly into the search box.

I'll probably make a second post collating some of the best stuff, but I hope you guys find this as useful as I have/am!
« Last Edit: June 20, 2015, 07:15:57 PM by Andrew H »
Andrew

@andrewdh

Offline FlowerCityLetters

• View Profile
    • Flower City Letters
Re: Zaner-Bloser Penmanship Collection (Inc Business Educator Issues)
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2015, 07:20:11 PM »
I had no idea about this!

*off to get lost in this website*

Thank you Andrew!

Offline Andrew H

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2015, 07:21:56 PM »
Neither did I!!!!!!! I've been going through it for a fortnight in a sort of stunned amazement going "why is this not popular"!??
Andrew

@andrewdh

Offline prasad

• Super Hero Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2015, 09:46:07 PM »
Thank you so much Andrew.
Yet another download to do :)

Beautiful stuff

-Prasad
Never be afraid to try something new
Remember - An amateur built the Ark and Professionals built the Titanic
My Instagram

Offline Brad franklin

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2015, 12:25:04 AM »
Good Stuff definitely will bookmark that, thanks.

Offline AndyT

• Super Hero Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2015, 04:27:01 AM »
That's splendid: thank you very much Andrew.

Offline AnasaziWrites

• Super Hero Member
  • Ad astra, per aspera
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2015, 12:08:06 PM »
This is an absolutely incredible resource for pointed pen lessons and exemplars! Not to mention history, trivia and the occasional quirk. The University of Scranton has scanned, in extremely high resolution, almost all the issues of the Business Educator, along with many other examples of brilliant penmanship from the Zaner-Bloser collection.

As an aside, also from this site, in the store department, is offered a set of three old penmanship instruction books, donated to the museum to help raise funds for the collection, which is pure gold. Three brilliant penmanship manuals. Check it out. The notebooks are nice as well.

Offline Andrew H

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2015, 07:32:29 PM »
I forgot to say that I think there are additional issues of the Business Educator, Penman's Art Journal etc available to view and download at the internet archive:

https://archive.org/details/university_scranton?&sort=-downloads&page=2

I'm not sure why these issues have been uploaded to a different place than the rest. Haven't really had a chance to look through any of them yet because life n' stuff… ;)
Andrew

@andrewdh

Offline tashadeguzman

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
    • Instagram
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2015, 06:27:15 PM »
I love this! I've been hesitating if I should jump into Engrossers and this might give me the push I need lol. Thanks so much for sharing!

Offline Andrew H

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2015, 06:52:52 PM »
Because you don't know enough styles already, Tasha! :P Haha. You definitely should! …I'm not biased at all… ;)

If you do go for it, check out my other post with Willis Baird's lessons in it, it would hopefully save you a bit of time digging through all the issues! :)
Andrew

@andrewdh

Offline Starlee

• Super Hero Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2015, 07:31:03 PM »
My god Andrew, this is a fantastic find!!! Thank you for sharing this! :) :) :)
Star

Offline tashadeguzman

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
    • Instagram
« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2015, 10:16:29 PM »
Because you don't know enough styles already, Tasha! :P Haha. You definitely should! …I'm not biased at all… ;)

If you do go for it, check out my other post with Willis Baird's lessons in it, it would hopefully save you a bit of time digging through all the issues! :)

You hit the nail right on the head haha. I'm trying to do too much! Anyway, this is awesome. I'll definitely bug you when I do start on it!  ;D ;D

Offline sumiphile

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2015, 12:11:02 AM »
I finally saw your post, Andrew! I'm currently checking out the site and saw other volumes of The Business Educator.   ;D

Thank you for sharing another calligraphy resources.  :)

Offline Andrew H

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 25, 2015, 12:16:46 PM »
Thanks everyone, I hope you get as much help and inspiration from this as I have!

As an aside, also from this site, in the store department, is offered a set of three old penmanship instruction books, donated to the museum to help raise funds for the collection, which is pure gold. Three brilliant penmanship manuals. Check it out. The notebooks are nice as well.

Thanks for pointing this out, I hadn't noticed those! I've ordered the full set, I don't think an opportunity like that will come along again!

You hit the nail right on the head haha. I'm trying to do too much! Anyway, this is awesome. I'll definitely bug you when I do start on it!  ;D ;D

Uh oh! :P Cool, I'll definitely be happy to pass along what little I've picked up. :)

I finally saw your post, Andrew! I'm currently checking out the site and saw other volumes of The Business Educator.   ;D

Thank you for sharing another calligraphy resources.  :)

Brilliant! Glad I could share it with you. You probably already saw it but this thread has some of the lessons already collated: http://theflourishforum.com/forum/index.php?topic=3119.0
« Last Edit: June 25, 2015, 12:18:22 PM by Andrew H »
Andrew

@andrewdh

Offline FlowerCityLetters

• View Profile
    • Flower City Letters
« Reply #14 on: June 25, 2015, 12:57:31 PM »

Thank you for bringing that to my attention. I bought a set of the reprinted manuals, couldn't pass that up - it's great that is goes to support the collection as well!