Author Topic: I found a dog  (Read 1886 times)

Offline ultraQuiche

• View Profile
I found a dog
« on: May 20, 2014, 02:56:17 PM »
Hi guys...

So I live by a stormwater pond (it's really nice, it has ducks and geese and sometimes foxes and things). It's practically my backyard. The other day, though, I saw a husky kind of prowling there with a pink collar and nobody near her. Now I don't own a dog and I don't really know how to greet one if it's a first encounter.

But I approached her after she had a swim and bugged the ducks in the pond. She flipped over and let me rub her tummy. I couldn't see the number on her collar, as it was on the other side. I was impatient to call the number, though, so I reckon I should have turned the collar around as she wore it kind of loosely. But no.

I tried to turn the whole darn dog. :/

I guess she didn't like that, so she kind of ran off between two houses. I went around asking if anyone owned a husky, with negative answers, and I haven't seen her since (I might have, being walked by two people, but they were too far away for that to be conclusive). I wish I'd tried to turn the collar instead of the dog.

I think that if she likes the water and she hasn't been found yet, she'll come back to the pond. She hasn't yet though. I've found and returned two dogs over the past year... people should be more watchful over theirs!

Offline Scarlet Blue

• I do joined up writing.
    • View Profile
    • Wonky Words
Re: I found a dog
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2014, 03:00:58 PM »
Ack, I would be worrying about the dog like you are... actually I will now worry with you! It's probably fine, dogs are resourceful characters.

Offline Nickkih

• Be Brave
    • View Profile
    • Amore Paper and Ink
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2014, 04:00:18 PM »
As a dog owner and lover of all pets I just can't imagine loosing a pet. I know my youngest Lab would get lost out there by herself and so I insure that she never gets out. My oldest lab would never leave the property. She would be too busy peeing on our lawn. Lol

Anyway I worried with you as well. I hope the dogs okay and returned home safely.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2014, 04:01:52 PM by Nickkih »
Mom, Grandma, and Calligrapher

Offline Lori M

• Calligraphy will prevail!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2014, 12:20:47 AM »
Aww! I'm a suckered for lost animals. I've kept several at our house until the owners could be contacted. Maybe this one was just out exploring and found her way home on her own.

Offline Faeleia

• Bloop
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2014, 03:18:41 AM »
Really nice of you to try to return lost animals! Most people wouldn't go to that extent. I think that dog must have been alarmed and took off. In hindsight, perhaps a calm and contented dog would be more willing to show you their tags.

I would, in your situation then read and watch more pet documentaries to get to know more breeds and animal psychology how to interact with them to prevent panic (and educate their owners when you successfully return them!), since scared animals can act rather impulsively and suddenly that's beyond the imaginations of their owners.

What I've learnt about dogs and most pets is that rather than approaching them face on which can seem like a challenge, esp if you hold prolonged eye contact as you do so, it's better to stay beside them (not facing them) to introduce yourself as a non threatening new comer, in a calm manner and let them greet/smell you after they've adjusted to this new scent and presence of this new person. Dogs are a bit like energy conductors, so they can sense things like nervousness, frustration, happiness etc. As such, being calm yourself will help calm them down too.

Those high squealy noises people love to make to babies? Dogs won't get that. I'm very quiet and kind of a loner most times deep in my thoughts, so it's not hard to imagine if I were in their position; people looking and walking straight in my direction, squealing and trying to turn me in circles can seem rather wtf. :P

Offline ultraQuiche

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2014, 05:12:32 PM »
That's nice if you're right about the squealy thing, I have too much of an ego to do that within parsecs of civilization. I heard somewhere that they respond better to higher pitch noises, but I think that was Jenna Marbles talking about cats... Very reliable source -.-

My thinking is that the husky was willing to let me in as she rolled over and exposed her tummy for a rub... I might have been a little forceful trying to roll her over to see that tag, that was just stupid. Thanks for the advice, I should doubtless watch dog psyche info videos, but then again I first need to educate myself about what to do in the even that someone has a heart attack / stroke, emergency procedures for giving a diabetic some glucagon... too many things! I don't realize what I need to inform myself of until there is a direct need for the knowledge.