Author Topic: Hello from Sunny San Diego!  (Read 1096 times)

Offline Vicky

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
Hello from Sunny San Diego!
« on: July 12, 2019, 08:23:49 PM »
Hello!

First, thank you Erica for accepting me into the group, and for setting up this wonderful site!

I started studying calligraphy when I was about 11 years old. My elementary school teacher was an accomplished calligrapher and every name tag, banner and poster in our classroom was done in her own hand. She agreed to teach me, starting with Chancery Cursive, one letter at a time, and eventually added a form of Old English to my studies. I continued on my own for a few years doing award certificates and name tags which helped to fund schooling, but let it slide by the wayside as life took over art. I am now picking back up my pens and searching for a path to redevelop my skills. My goal is to learn Spencerian (and possibly Copperplate)  for pen and ballpoint.

I am now a genealogist and find that my early pen training has given me an advantage in reading handwritten manuscripts and archival materials -- we know how letters are supposed to be formed, blotches avoided -and made-, and approximate time periods per hand. I hope to be able to create my own company logo with a flourish, and look forward to being inspired and informed by those of you here…

With admiration,
Vicky

Offline Erica McPhee

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • Be brave. Love life!
    • View Profile
Re: Hello from Sunny San Diego!
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2019, 06:42:54 PM »
Hi @Vicky
Welcome!
We share much in common. I also was inspired by an elementary teacher. (I also went to school in San Diego many moons ago!).

It’s great you were given such a strong foundation and have now found your way back again. I hope you are enjoying the resurgence.

Geneology is so interesting to me. Fascinating and it’s great your previous studies play into it.

Welcome to Flourish!
Warm Regards,
Erica
Lettering & Design Artist
Flourish Forum Shop
Instagram

Offline Bianca M

• Super Hero Member
  • Tempus Fugit
    • View Profile
    • Bianca Mascorro Calligraphy & Art
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2019, 11:58:27 AM »
Welcome to the forum, Vicky!  Genealogy - how fascinating!

Offline Vicky

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2019, 08:35:36 PM »
Thanks for the welcome, and shared San Diego experience!

I am already in awe of the work, tutorials, and generosity of everyone on this site...

Offline KacyBG

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2019, 05:48:07 PM »
Vicky, welcome! San Diego is so beautiful--hope you're having a wonderful time checking out the forum!