Author Topic: Shelia Waters : Foundations of Calligraphy  (Read 1497 times)

Offline Mike A

• View Profile
Shelia Waters : Foundations of Calligraphy
« on: July 11, 2015, 08:16:46 AM »

Hello to all - my first posting :)
I'm just starting to get interested in calligraphy, and I've already benefited from reading many posts here, so thanks to all who so generously share their knowledge and advice :)

I'm interested in broad edge styles. I live in the UK and I've picked up a few books from local libraries, however I see that  Shelia Waters : Foundations of Calligraphy is often cited here as the 'go to' source. With international shipping the cost is not insignificant. I'd therefore like to get a slightly better idea of what I'm buying before I place an order.

Is it possible that someone who owns the book could scan and post a few reduced size sample pages so I can get a feel for the style and content? I don't know the copyright rules in the US, but here in the UK doing this isn't a problem as long as you don't copy more than a small proportion of the book.

Thanks in advance,

Mike

Offline Erica McPhee

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • Be brave. Love life!
    • View Profile
Re: Shelia Waters : Foundations of Calligraphy
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2015, 09:17:52 PM »
Hi Mike
Welcome to Flourish! Unfortunately, you cannot copy the book in any way in the US. But if you look at this google search, you can see some of the images others have posted:

Sheila Water's Foundations of Calligraphy Google Image search
Warm Regards,
Erica
Lettering & Design Artist
Flourish Forum Shop
Instagram

Offline thundy84

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2015, 12:01:34 AM »
Hi Mike!

Foundations of Calligraphy was my very first calligraphy book. I bought it from JNB directly.

I found the sections on Foundational and Italic incredibly helpful and thorough. She also touches on layout and design, which is helpful for, erm, less artistically inclined people like myself. :) So, if you're particularly interested in Foundational and/or Italic, I would 100% recommend this book.

Offline Mike A

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2015, 06:42:44 AM »
Erica, thundy84 - thank you both.
I looked for any reviews - but didn't think of doing an image search - doh!  Yes, I can see that it looks exactly the sort of book I'm looking for. I'll be placing an order today : )
« Last Edit: July 13, 2015, 10:04:03 AM by Mike A »

Offline Scarlet Blue

• I do joined up writing.
    • View Profile
    • Wonky Words
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2015, 03:24:27 AM »
Hi Mike,
I'm also in the UK... and that book is definitely worth the expense.