Author Topic: NEW MEMBER, LOS ANGELES AREA  (Read 62 times)

Offline ymnovak

• View Profile
NEW MEMBER, LOS ANGELES AREA
« on: July 28, 2022, 12:47:51 PM »
I'm so excited to have found this forum. I did calligraphy with a fountain pen years ago, 38+years ago when my kids were small. I'd call it Italic. I loved it but life got in the way with 3 small children. I became a watercolorist about 20 years ago, finding a hidden talent I didn't know I had. I was on IG last April and took a free class with Shinah of Crooked Calligraphy and fell in love all over again. I signed up for her course and made progress but I have found that I am needing more guidance now, feeling stuck! I beat myself up feeling as though my lettering isn't getting any better. I recently did a seating chart and place cards for a friends wedding and it all came out beautifully, but since then I feel like my progress has become stagnant. I've gone back to drills etc. I think one of the problems I am encountering, it I love all the different styles, and can't seem to master any of them  ;)

Hoping to learn from all of you.
Yvonne
[email protected]

Offline Erica McPhee

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • Be brave. Love life!
    • View Profile
    • Dasherie Magazine
Re: NEW MEMBER, LOS ANGELES AREA
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2022, 06:24:24 PM »
Yes, it’s so hard when there are so many styles to try! My grandmother used to call me Jack of All Trades, Master of None. LOL. But it’s ok to try new things and find what you are really like. Let us know how we can help you make progress. I find when that happens (I get stuck), it is right before a big breakthrough is going to happen and then I hit a good groove.
I find it best to stick with one hand (like Copperplate OR Spencerian) until I feel comfortable. This prevents confusion (at least for me).
Let us know if we can help. Welcome!
Truly, Erica
Lettering/Design Artist, Homeopath, Photographer, Mom, Wife
Dasherie Magazine | Paperwhite Studio | Instagram | Facebook

Offline Zivio

• Foment Compassion, Practice Peace
    • View Profile
Re: NEW MEMBER, LOS ANGELES AREA
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2022, 11:46:16 PM »
Welcome, @ymnovak!  In the short time I've been a member, the experience and guidance from others has been so uplifting ... and valuable!  Take a look at some of the topics and threads here that may be of interest to you.  And post any specific issues or questions you have -- while the work some members share is spectacular, many have come to this beginner's aid and responded to the most elementary questions and concerns. 

Wishing you peace and happy moments,
~Karl
Foment Compassion, Practice Peace