Author Topic: Supplies in Europe?  (Read 15446 times)

Offline Inked botanicals

• View Profile
    • My Instagram
Supplies in Europe?
« on: January 24, 2015, 09:14:50 AM »
Hi everyone! I know most of you are from USA, but maybe there is some one that could help me. Do you know any place where I can order calligraphy supplies in Europe? I am from Spain, and shipping costs from USA are killing me! It is only worth it for quite big orders and it ends being almost the same amount for shipping than the actual goods  :( I am very happy with John Neal and Paper&Inks, they both ship quite fast (in less than 2 weeks generally I got my order), and I had never a problem, but... Maybe there is a place nearer and more affordable for me. What do you think? Thanks a lot in advance!
Alba.

Instagram: @inked_botanicals

Offline AndyT

• Super Hero Member
    • View Profile
Re: Supplies in Europe?
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2015, 09:56:57 AM »
Hello Alba!  :)

Here are a few EU suppliers I've used or had recommended - the list is UK heavy because that's where I am.  The one thing which remains hard to get without importing from outside the Union is a decent oblique pen holder at a sensible price, but on the other hand we're quite fortunate when it comes to paper.

General calligraphy people:
Blots
Scribblers
Penman Direct
J&T
Kallipos
Kalligraphie.com
Comptoir des Écritures
Cornelissen

My usual sources for paper, stationery etc:
Cultpens
Bureau Direct

For exotic paper:
Shepherds / Falkiner

Hope that's a helpful start.  I know that Estefa has some good recommendations for materials in Germany, likewise for Cecilia in Italy.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2015, 03:52:19 AM by AndyT »

Offline Estefa

• Super Hero Member
    • View Profile
    • Federflug
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2015, 03:31:17 PM »
Haha, Andy, I think you got the ones I use already ;)!! There is only

http://www.blotspens.co.uk

I'd like to add, they were superfast and they have Dr. Martins Bleedproof white, I think?? Which is not so easy to get in Europe.

And

http://www.kunstpark-shop.de/Kuenstlerbedarf/Gouache-Tempera/Schmincke-CALLIGRAPHY-Gouache.html?listtype=search&searchparam=Calligraphy%20gouache

They have Schminckes's famous calligraphy gouache (among tons of other stuff).

Andy btw, did you get my Christmas card??
Stefanie :: Website :: Blog :: Instagram

Offline AndyT

• Super Hero Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2015, 06:10:18 AM »
Hi Stefanie, I did indeed receive your splendid card ... I thought I'd emailed you to say thanks, but it appears not.  :(  Sorry, but a letter will be in the post soon.

Blots do indeed stock Dr. Martin's, and Schminke too.  Did you not mention an outstanding paper supplier in Berlin a while ago?

Offline Estefa

• Super Hero Member
    • View Profile
    • Federflug
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2015, 02:41:18 PM »
I am not sure what you mean, Andy? Maybe Manufactum, they have that beautiful 100% cotton crown mill paper?

Glad the card arrived!!

Offline AndyT

• Super Hero Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2015, 02:59:52 PM »
Maybe - I thought it was a general art supplier though.  Can't find any trace of it in the emails, so there's a chance I'm imagining things!

Agreed about that Crown Mill Paper - splendid stuff.  :)

Offline Inked botanicals

• View Profile
    • My Instagram
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2015, 04:51:18 PM »
Lots of than you, guys! You are the best. And google traslator! German almost seems easy with google  ;D I am now lost in vintage nibs!
Alba.

Instagram: @inked_botanicals

Offline FrancescaV

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2015, 02:50:59 AM »
Does any know of any alternatives to amazon when buying walnut ink?  Or am I just missing it on the usual calligraphy supply sites?
A pen is to me as a beak is to a hen -J.R.R Tolkien

Instagram

Offline AndyT

• Super Hero Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2015, 04:22:46 AM »
Does any know of any alternatives to amazon when buying walnut ink?  Or am I just missing it on the usual calligraphy supply sites?

Amazon is a good bet for walnut ink as it happens, if you buy Vandyke crystals and make it up yourself.  This isn't a substitute, and it's very good indeed.  Also preposterously cheap, as in a fiver a gallon or thereabouts.  There's a thread on making walnut ink if you care to search for it, but the short version is that 1 gram to 15ml of hot water makes a strong solution which flows well and gives decent hairlines.  Just stir and leave to cool.  :)

Offline FrancescaV

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2015, 06:58:10 AM »

Amazon is a good bet for walnut ink as it happens, if you buy Vandyke crystals and make it up yourself.  This isn't a substitute, and it's very good indeed.  Also preposterously cheap, as in a fiver a gallon or thereabouts.  There's a thread on making walnut ink if you care to search for it, but the short version is that 1 gram to 15ml of hot water makes a strong solution which flows well and gives decent hairlines.  Just stir and leave to cool.  :)

Thanks for the tip - I'll look into that : ) it was just in case the calligraphy supply sites sold the ink - I would rather give the money to them rather than amazon!!
« Last Edit: January 28, 2015, 01:34:05 PM by Cescav123 »
A pen is to me as a beak is to a hen -J.R.R Tolkien

Instagram

Offline AndyT

• Super Hero Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2015, 07:33:05 AM »
J&T have been out of stock of ready made walnut ink for ages; I can't recall anybody else offering it (or having the brass neck to offer the crystals at a markup ... in the UK).  You can get the Vandyke crystals from wood finishing suppliers, or ebay if you want a small quantity.  A 50g packet will make a wine bottle's worth for £3.31if you don't want enough to make a bucketful.

It's worth mentioning that Kalligraphie.com in Switzerland do sell both ready made and crystal walnut ink.  From what I hear it's a bit different and probably has a carbon content: it's definitely darker.  Once again, Stefanie is the source of wisdom on that.  :)

Offline Dominik

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2015, 01:53:08 PM »
Hello, of course you can find something better than a**zone (I can't write that name)

I buy everything I need there:

http://www.comptoirdesecritures.com

very reliable, not too expansive, they sell quite everywhere !
What else?

Offline Estefa

• Super Hero Member
    • View Profile
    • Federflug
« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2015, 02:41:46 PM »
No wisdom really, Andy :) – but yes, the ink from A. Schenk is definitely darker than the Vandyke crystals – as you said, I think it's not a 'pure' walnut ink. I love it though, it's my daily practice ink!

Offline AndyT

• Super Hero Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2015, 03:50:26 AM »
I've just added Cornelissen to the list above - bit of an oversight, that.   :-[

When it comes to colourful stuff, Cornelissen appear to sell everything, including the Scriptorium walnut ink and Vandyke crystals at a sensible price.  They're tucked away in the traditional inks section.

I buy everything I need there:

http://www.comptoirdesecritures.com

Also added, thanks.

Offline Estefa

• Super Hero Member
    • View Profile
    • Federflug
« Reply #14 on: January 30, 2015, 07:54:59 AM »
Wow, I didn't know this shop!! And that at a moment where I am in a stop-bying-new-toys period ;D!