Author Topic: Greeting Card Paper  (Read 2933 times)

Offline marilyns

• View Profile
Greeting Card Paper
« on: July 08, 2016, 09:20:38 PM »
What is the best weight of paper to use for greeting cards--like Hallmark or American Greetings might use?  Any sources would be appreciated.

Offline Bianca M

• Super Hero Member
  • Tempus Fugit
    • View Profile
    • Bianca Mascorro Calligraphy & Art
Re: Greeting Card Paper
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2016, 03:10:10 PM »
I'd look for 100lb stock- sturdy, but still scores and folds nicely.

Offline AnasaziWrites

• Super Hero Member
  • Ad astra, per aspera
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2016, 05:40:05 PM »
Specifically, I use Strathmore Bristol vellum surface 100 lb (270g/m2). Widely available in art supply stores.

Offline JanisTX

• Super Hero Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2016, 06:46:54 PM »
I buy blank cards at Michaels.  http://www.michaels.com/recollections-bright-colors-cards-and-envelopes/10416545.html#q=cards&start=36  They also come in white & beige, and other colors, as well!   They are very well-behaved cards. - They don't have any "tooth" to grab nibs & they do not cause the ink to spread into the fiber of the cards.  I use them all the time & buy them with the 40% off coupon that Michael's usually has available!

Janis

Offline Erica McPhee

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • Be brave. Love life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2016, 10:54:18 AM »
I find Strathmore Writing Wove 110# in soft white to be very similar to the stock used for greeting cards. The only problem is it is difficult to find and expensive. Your best bet is to visit a local print shop and see if they will sell you a reem. Staples sells it online for $45. Strathmore Writing
Warm Regards,
Erica
Lettering & Design Artist
Flourish Forum Shop
Instagram

Offline AnasaziWrites

• Super Hero Member
  • Ad astra, per aspera
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2016, 12:04:58 PM »
I find Strathmore Writing Wove 110# in soft white to be very similar to the stock used for greeting cards. The only problem is it is difficult to find and expensive. Your best bet is to visit a local print shop and see if they will sell you a reem. Staples sells it online for $45. Strathmore Writing
Just to note, it's cheaper if you buy a case (10 125 sheet reams) for $179. That's a lot of cards.
Also to note, I usually buy the 11x14" size, as most of my cards are 5x7 and I can get two folding cards (or 4 postcards) out of each sheet. Good suggestion on buying it from a printer.

Offline Estrella

• Estrella
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2016, 05:11:29 PM »
Great suggestions! My family members now just about *expect* a calligraphed greeting card on their birthday.

Offline marilyns

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2016, 09:43:14 PM »
Thanks to everyone for the suggestions.  Now I'm off to shopping.

Offline Susan C

• View Profile
    • Susan M. Carter Photography
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2016, 04:58:34 PM »
What do you use to cut and score your cards? Doing each one manually would quickly get tedious.

Offline Bianca M

• Super Hero Member
  • Tempus Fugit
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2016, 05:14:39 PM »
What do you use to cut and score your cards? Doing each one manually would quickly get tedious.

I have one of these, as well as the larger version: https://www.amazon.com/Martha-Stewart-Crafts-Scoring-Board/dp/B008X09DZM

You still have to do one by one, unless you score two at a time on a large sheet on the larger board and trim them down to size with a cutter, but with the rules and score guides on the board, you can do them really pretty quickly.  100 might take me 20 minutes or less.

Offline Susan C

• View Profile
    • Susan M. Carter Photography
« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2016, 07:08:13 AM »
I have one of these, as well as the larger version: https://www.amazon.com/Martha-Stewart-Crafts-Scoring-Board/dp/B008X09DZM

You still have to do one by one, unless you score two at a time on a large sheet on the larger board and trim them down to size with a cutter, but with the rules and score guides on the board, you can do them really pretty quickly.  100 might take me 20 minutes or less.

Thanks, that definitely looks to be an improvement on my current tools: a ruler and a butter knife!

Offline Estrella

• Estrella
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2016, 01:08:39 PM »
Another item added to my Amazon cart! ;)

Offline Bianca M

• Super Hero Member
  • Tempus Fugit
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2016, 05:53:48 PM »
It is REALLY handy!  It also provides envelope templates/instructions- which I've never used, but, hey, they're there!