Author Topic: Diamine Inkvent 2022  (Read 5461 times)

Offline K-2

• View Profile
Re: Diamine Inkvent 2022
« Reply #90 on: January 24, 2023, 08:21:45 PM »
What a compliment, @AnasaziWrites - I think you really like the way these inks break to make sky-scapes (kind of like with Ghost). You should give it a try - it's not hard to do: start with quality water color paper, wet it down on both sides, get some puddling on the front side, and then brush some ink on in concentration and let it bleed out.  When it's "damp-dry" you can dab on more ink to make those trees you liked from the Dusted Truffle picture.

21. Cosy Up (standard) - Rosy red, evenly shading down to blushing pink.  Good line control for broad edge and pointed pen, but a little difficult to draw with.  Sharp white reaction to bleach.

The drawing shows my youngest a few years back, cozying up to the post.  The mid-tone pink is one of his favorite colors, and the bright-red in saturation is the color of the first hat he ever knitted, taking a cue from the legendary goalie and dedicated knitter, Jacques Plante.  So there's your "cosy" two ways.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2023, 08:28:54 PM by K-2 »

Offline AnasaziWrites

• Super Hero Member
  • Ad astra, per aspera
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: January 28, 2023, 11:58:36 AM »
What a compliment, @AnasaziWrites - I think you really like the way these inks break to make sky-scapes (kind of like with Ghost). You should give it a try - it's not hard to do: start with quality water color paper, wet it down on both sides, get some puddling on the front side, and then brush some ink on in concentration and let it bleed out.  When it's "damp-dry" you can dab on more ink to make those trees you liked from the Dusted Truffle picture.
@K-2
I might give it a try one of these days. When you say "wet both sides," do you mean with a big brush, spray bottle, or something else?
21. Cosy Up (standard) - Rosy red, evenly shading down to blushing pink.  Good line control for broad edge and pointed pen, but a little difficult to draw with.  Sharp white reaction to bleach.

The drawing shows my youngest a few years back, cozying up to the post.  The mid-tone pink is one of his favorite colors, and the bright-red in saturation is the color of the first hat he ever knitted, taking a cue from the legendary goalie and dedicated knitter, Jacques Plante.  So there's your "cosy" two ways.
You certainly have a multitalented family. Good action shot. Other hockey players in the family? These days, every goalie in the NHL wears a mask, but that wasn't always so, as you possibly recall. "Jake the Snake" was (one of) the first. Such a good idea. Probably saves a lot of faces/teeth.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2023, 12:03:12 PM by AnasaziWrites »

Offline K-2

• View Profile
« Reply #92 on: February 03, 2023, 03:40:30 PM »
I'm still plugging along here!

@AnasaziWrites - when I work wet on wet, I usually wet the back of the paper using a sponge, so that it's damp but not puddling, and then wet the front side down with a big brush, letting it puddle in areas that I want to have the ink flow through.  But others use a sponge or a brush on both sides - and sometimes I use a fine mist spray bottle to keep everything wet while I work (important during these very cold, dry periods in the winter).

And thank you for your thoughts about my hockey picture!  I occasionally play myself in an over-40 league, but my last concussion and torn meniscus have put that on hold for a bit. I only once played in nets though - it's the most rigorous position, and also I ended up with dinner-plate sized bruise on my chest. Really thank Jacques Plante for those goalie face masks though!  Not only was he an avid knitter, he invented the face mask and brought it into professional play (because he got tired of getting his face broken).  One of the all time greats!

22. Deck the Halls (chameleon) - a saturated purple ink, leaning every so slightly to the red-violet side of the spectrum. stupendous chromatography with lavender, mauve, and lilac, up through a dark grape. Neon gold reaction to bleach. And SHIMMER. I put a couple different angles on the swatch card to show how the chameleon shimmer appears bright pink to champagne gold.  Pity it blobbed up on the blackletter script.  Good hairlines and control for pointed and italic though.

As for the drawing -- every year they give us a really great purple ink, and every year I draw a picture of Prince with it.

Offline Erica McPhee

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • Be brave. Love life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: February 04, 2023, 03:55:54 PM »
That’s incredible!
Warm Regards,
Erica
Lettering & Design Artist
Flourish Forum Shop
Instagram

Offline K-2

• View Profile
« Reply #94 on: February 04, 2023, 09:56:20 PM »
Thanks, @Erica McPhee - it's such a cool ink; the "chameleon" effect on it is really pronounced. It made a nice halo around one of Minnesota's patron saints. Rendering the crushed velvet on the jacket was rather challenging though.

Oh, and @AnasaziWrites - I would like to affirm that my younger kid indeed has many skills: he ended his hockey career after Bantams, but doubled down on music. He's a classical pianist and trumpeter (in orchestra and in jazz band).  We used to joke that he was the best ice hockey goalie who was also a classical pianist, trumpet player, and straight-A student in the state of Minnesota, maybe in the country.  ;)

23. Celebration (shimmer) - a warm peach loaded with coppery rose-gold shimmer. clean white reaction to bleach, a little difficulty with line control on the writing, but beautiful shading from a vivid peach down to a pale pink champagne.

A quick drawing celebrating the Lunar New Year: Happy Year of the Rabbit!

Offline Cyril Jayant

• View Profile
    • https://twitter.com/jaycyril
« Reply #95 on: February 05, 2023, 11:03:36 AM »
Lovely work and lovely this colours. Very impressive. :)

Offline K-2

• View Profile
« Reply #96 on: February 08, 2023, 06:24:08 PM »
Thanks, @Cyril Jayant - and also thanks for following along, @Gary and @Zivio and @tiffany.c.a and @Tasmith and everyone else who's been hitting the like button on all our posts!

@Aries M and @AnasaziWrites have been terrific collaborators, and of course, none of this would be possible without @Erica McPhee

24. One More Sleep (standard) - a medium blue-violet ink. no shimmer, no sheen. a little on the thin side, and not a great ink for calligraphy in any form. neon white reaction to bleach, and a sort of moody, etherial feel to the shading and chromatography that came out with robin's egg haloing in the swatch.

@AnasaziWrites was underwhelmed by this ink, for obvious reasons, but suggested that I might find some sort of art use for it. So here's my drawing - the paper and water saturation made all the difference in bringing out the chromatography. Also the application of salt produced nebula-like results! Mike - is this what you had mind?

Drawing depicts the astrophysicist, Dr. Katie Mack (b.1 May 1981) - a theoretical cosmologist who holds the Hawking Chair in Cosmology and Science Communication at the Perimeter Institute.  And the author of The End of Everything (Astrophysically Speaking), Scribner, 2020 - her work on the end & beginning of the universe, that gave me the thematic hook for "One More Sleep".

And now I only have one more ink to go!

Offline AnasaziWrites

• Super Hero Member
  • Ad astra, per aspera
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: February 10, 2023, 05:33:01 PM »
@AnasaziWrites was underwhelmed by this ink, for obvious reasons, but suggested that I might find some sort of art use for it. So here's my drawing - the paper and water saturation made all the difference in bringing out the chromatography. Also the application of salt produced nebula-like results! Mike - is this what you had mind?

Drawing depicts the astrophysicist, Dr. Katie Mack (b.1 May 1981) - a theoretical cosmologist who holds the Hawking Chair in Cosmology and Science Communication at the Perimeter Institute.  And the author of The End of Everything (Astrophysically Speaking), Scribner, 2020 - her work on the end & beginning of the universe, that gave me the thematic hook for "One More Sleep".

And now I only have one more ink to go!
Very interesting effect with the salt. Very unexpected.
Love the drawing.
Looking forward to the next.
@K-2

Offline K-2

• View Profile
« Reply #98 on: February 10, 2023, 09:27:11 PM »
Thanks, @AnasaziWrites - I use the salt for "outer-space effects" quite a bit. Morton's kosher salt, Diamond kosher salt, Maldon sea salt, and regular table salt all give slightly different effects, due to the different shapes of their crystals. It's fun to play with.

And now I'm finally done with Inkvent!

25. Best Wishes (shimmer & sheen) - a dark forest green with a strong coppery sheen, bright green shimmer, a neon gold reaction to bleach, and beautiful chromatography, bleeding out grass greens and cerulean blues. Nice sharp lines for broad edge and pointed pen. And it comes in a 30ml bottle!

The drawing is a tribute to our local pond hockey culture - Best Wishes to all our amateur teams - from Mites to D1 - as the regular season comes to an end this month.  Remember where you came from and keep true to the spirit of the land of 10,000 lakes!

Offline Erica McPhee

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • Be brave. Love life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: February 11, 2023, 01:30:02 AM »
Beautiful color. It is truly astonishing how you can capture a moment. Delighted in, and envious of, your skill.  :-*
Warm Regards,
Erica
Flourish Forum Shop
Instagram

Offline K-2

• View Profile
« Reply #100 on: February 11, 2023, 04:26:50 PM »
Gosh, @Erica McPhee - what a compliment! I'm honored by your esteem! I've seen your watercolor florals and figurative flourishing though, and you've got really enviable skills too.  :)

Inkventors - @AnasaziWrites @Aries M and everyone following along - Now that we're all the way through, I'm curious about which inks rose to the top of the collection for you? The last two Inkvent collections eventually came out individually in 50ml bottles. Anyone tempted?

I'm personally interested in a big bottle of "Spiced Apple" and "Olive Swirl" for calligraphy purposes; maybe "Three Kings" for drawing (but it's probably redundant in my really too-large collection of ink). Maybe "Flame" just because I like orange so much.

(and I swear that I am not working for Diamine to promo their products - but Diamine, if you like my ink drawings, I'm for hire!)
--yours, K

Offline AnasaziWrites

• Super Hero Member
  • Ad astra, per aspera
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: February 11, 2023, 08:59:28 PM »
Interesting that you mention Spiced apple. I have a little project, very minor, that I do about every three weeks or so, and two days ago I chose spiced apple to do it. A great ink. more later, with comments on your body of work during Inkvent 2023. No time at present, remembering that unsolicited advice is worth what you pay for it.
@K-2

Offline K-2

• View Profile
« Reply #102 on: June 07, 2023, 03:00:29 PM »
Dear Ink Fanciers - @Aries M @AnasaziWrites - and those who followed along with Inkvent 2022 - @Erica McPhee @Zivio @Cyril Jayant @tiffany.c.a @Gary etc. The 50ml bottles of Inkvent 2022 inks are now available in the US! Cult Pens UK quietly released them earlier this week.

I did a little side-by-side comparison of a couple of the Inkvent 2021 shimmer+sheen blues that I bought, to make sure my impulses weren't completely redundant. But it turns out that "Tempest" (2021) and "Stargazer" (2021) are quite different from "Serendipity" (2022) and "Upon a Star" (2022) in terms of how the shimmer works. Honestly, I'm not using "Tempest" as much as I thought I would.

(but do I want two more dark blue inks with shimmer? should I try to just choose one? what would you do?)

In addition, I came back to "Deck the Halls", "Spiced Apple", and "Olive Swirl" - and maybe I don't need "Spiced Apple" as much as I thought I did? (but how nice would it be for Xmas cards!). I didn't think I would covet "Deck the Halls" so much, but then I spilled half the 12ml bottle while doing a project, and my heart told me I loved it and needed a big bottle to make up for it. "Olive Swirl" has been at the top of my list since I opened it and started drawing with it though.

Here are my picks in two different lighting conditions (lamp vs sunlight). Look at that shimmer & sheen!

(You say "hoarder"; I say "collector"; tomato-tomahto; but in my defense, I do use a lot of ink for drawing, and those Pilot Parallels are thirsty thirsty pens)

Does anyone else have some favorites? a wish list?

Offline Erica McPhee

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • Be brave. Love life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: June 07, 2023, 03:04:58 PM »
Stargazer and Upon A Star - love them!
Warm Regards,
Erica
Flourish Forum Shop
Instagram

Offline AnasaziWrites

• Super Hero Member
  • Ad astra, per aspera
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: June 08, 2023, 05:20:50 PM »
@K-2
I guess we have similar tastes.
Were I to pick only one, it would be Upon a Star.
Were price no object, I'd add Solar Storm, Spiced Apple, Cardinal, Pick Me Up, Serendipity, and Arctic Blast.
I also like Appletini and Olive Swirl, but have similar 30 ml bottles of J. Herbin ink.

I recently bought a mixed bag of inks, all used to some extent (hence the price was great), with these colors.
(Please excuse the poor penmanship--just dashed these off to see the colors)
« Last Edit: June 08, 2023, 05:23:25 PM by AnasaziWrites »