General Categories > The Library

Foundations of Calligraphy by Sheila Waters

(1/3) > >>

Erica McPhee:
Jean Wilson gave this excellent recommendation for Foundations of Calligraphy by Sheila Waters - available from John Neal Bookseller.

Jean wrote:
It is $35 (free shipping in the US) but you get detailed information on italics and variations. Sheila is not only a master of broad edge, but she is a master at teaching. John Neal deserves a ton of credit for publishing this book.

Besides italic, you also get foundational, blackletter, gothic cursive, uncial and half-uncial, carolingian - and variations. There are also chapters on analysis and practice, design and layout, and more. It is the most comprehensive, well-written and illustrated book you can imagine for broad edge. There is much more than what I have listed here. If you take time to self study with Sheila, you will be very pleased with the results.

Broad edge is *less forgiving* than the script styles. With scripts, you can do quirky, non-traditional writing and add some flourishing and it can be charming. With broad edge, there are people who do wild, contemporary variations (Luca Barcellone  http://www.lucabarcellona.com/ )  But, if you look at his work, you can tell that he mastered the traditional forms before he cut loose.

Sheila Waters has a section on How to practice followed by How NOT to practice -and- How to avoid calligraphic depression. That section -along with how to analyze- really explains the nuts and bolts of how to make progress with self study. Even if you have no interest in broad edge, that section (along with the 3 chapters on design, layout, and how to complete actual projects) is worth the price of the book.

Lucie Y:
Oh I this book looks lovely, but the shipping to France is 30 bucks :( Do you happen to know if it contains material on French roundhand?

Erica McPhee:
I have it upstairs… will get it and check.  :)

AnasaziWrites:

--- Quote from: Lucie Y on October 09, 2022, 09:45:20 AM ---Oh I this book looks lovely, but the shipping to France is 30 bucks :( Do you happen to know if it contains material on French roundhand?

--- End quote ---
@Lucie Y
Are you looking for examplars/examples of french roundhand?
If so, check out this thread from 4 years ago:
https://theflourishforum.com/forum/index.php?topic=6689.msg77705#msg77705

I also have more leaves from Verharne's book. I consider him to be the best of the best, FWIW.

Erica McPhee:
I checked and it does not. It has an extensive section on Foundational.

I also put together this Ronde Hand board on Pinterest.  :)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version