Author Topic: DAY 29 - 2022: Uh-Oh  (Read 785 times)

Offline Erica McPhee

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • Be brave. Love life!
    • View Profile
DAY 29 - 2022: Uh-Oh
« on: October 29, 2022, 12:13:12 PM »
Love this word. Can’t wait to see others’ interpretations!
Warm Regards,
Erica
Lettering & Design Artist
Flourish Forum Shop
Instagram

Offline AnasaziWrites

• Super Hero Member
  • Ad astra, per aspera
    • View Profile
Re: DAY 29 - 2022: Uh-Oh
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2022, 12:21:16 PM »
@Erica McPhee
Hah! Just about to post mine--we think alike on this one.

Offline AnasaziWrites

• Super Hero Member
  • Ad astra, per aspera
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2022, 12:36:03 PM »
Lots of uh-oh's here. Dittography in the Erica envelope, haplography in the Lupfer piece, misspelling misnumering, blobs, upsidedown envelopes, wrong addressee, wrong address, running out of space on an envelope or piece, smudges, and on and on. I have a whole box of this stuff. The Odom envelope took 4 tries (the record is seven). I save this stuff to practice using different inks on similar envelopes. Sometimes "uh-oh turns into oh s#*@. I should have stopped the Lupfer pice after themistake i line one, but didn't beccaus that mistake was correctable. Not so in the last line--couldn't fit the "and" in before running out of space. Atleast I wasn't working on vellum, like the old scribes.

And then there is the intentional mistake (uh-oh) meant to send a message, as in one of my earlier Inktober posts, meant to say that it's ok to post something with a mistake, or something that is not "perfect." or even good. You all were too kind not to mention it. (That will be corrected after the end of Inkvent 2022.)

« Last Edit: October 29, 2022, 05:59:29 PM by AnasaziWrites »

Offline Cyril Jayant

• View Profile
    • https://twitter.com/jaycyril
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2022, 12:52:07 PM »
Lots of uh-oh's here. Dittography in the Erica envelope, haplography in the Lupfer piece, misspelling misnumering, blobs, upsidedown envelopes, wrong addressee, wrong address, running out of space on an envelope or piece, smudges, and on and on. I have a whole box of this stuff. The Odom envelope took 4 tries (the record is seven). I save this stuff to practice using different inks on similar envelopes. Sometimes "uh-oh turns into oh s#*@. I should have stopped the Lupfer pice after themistake i line one, but didn't beccaus that mistake was correctable. Not so in the last line--couldn't fit the "and" in before running out of space. Atleast I wasn't working on vellum, like the old scribes.

Lovely one Mike !!!

Great one and very expressive .  ;D

Offline tiffany.c.a

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2022, 04:53:08 PM »
Erica - so funny, and maybe a little de-stressing to throw some ink around? Have been loving all your flourishes.

Anasazi - I think the way you handled adding “and” still looks very nice.

Offline K-2

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2022, 06:20:23 PM »
The calligraphers definitely have the clever responses to this prompt!
@Erica McPhee - love the splatters!  And Oh what an O!
Mike - what a great idea for a collage of "uh-oh"

This bit of pedantry goes out to @Zivio - missing you, pal!

One of my favorite things to look for in manuscripts is how scribes dealt with errors.  Many scribes simply didn't care all that much if there were things we might call "errors".  Spelling didn't get codified until the end of the 18th century; punctuation as we know it also didn't exist...  For instance, the Book of Kells, lauded as one of the all-time artistic masterpieces of Europe, actually contains a fairly crappy text of the gospels, full of errors and omissions and redundancies.  Some of them they fixed, but some dropped or repeated words or letters or mis-conjugated verbs just stayed in as is.

Still, I really like how the Book of Kells scribes added this passage they left out at the bottom of the page - they put a dotted red cross where it should go: https://digitalcollections.tcd.ie/concern/folios/j3860713x

Sometimes scribes would scrape the dried ink off the parchment.  And in this way, parchment is superior to paper @AnasaziWrites - you can get ALL the visible ink off, and reuse it for something else.  In this miniature depicting the 12th Century writer, Marie de France, she has a quill in her right hand (writing) and a knife in her left hand (scraping): https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marie_de_France#/media/File:Marie_de_France_1.tif

But the heavy metals in the ink would penetrate into the skins, and when you shine a UV light on it, they'll fluoresce!  It's how we found the earliest extant manuscript copy of Cicero's "De re publica" - as a palimpsest, scraped off and written over with a copy of St. Augustine's exposition on the Psalms: https://spotlight.vatlib.it/palimpsests/about/vat-lat-5757-inf

Maybe some of my favorite corrections are from the Saint John's Bible - check out the bee error treatment on this page from the book of Wisdom: https://sites.up.edu/saintjohnsbible/correction-bumblebee-2015/

/pedantry

I'll admit that I conceptualized this picture in response to the prompt (like black cats being a bad omen), but with the secondary intention of using it for my Halloween card to my god-children!

Offline Erica McPhee

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • Be brave. Love life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2022, 08:54:57 PM »
I love that you keep all the “uh-oh” s - great idea. I’m actually preparing for a class that I am teaching for our guild this coming weekend on preparing envelopes and I will be going over guides, scale, spacing, and layout to avoid running out of room. It’s a topic I didn’t realize included so much! Like you, I sometimes just keep re-doing an envelope until I get it close to how I envisioned it.

I would have kept that Lupfer piece with the notched in “and” - I think it looks great!

@Cyril Jayant  - thanks so much for your kind words and for following along with us and offering support! It means so much to all of us!

Thanks @tiffany.c.a ! Yes, always fun to get some splats - when it’s intentional of course!  ;D

@K-2 - so fascinating! I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE the bee example! I am enamored with whimsical things like that. It has a kind of botanical steampunk feel to it. What a great Halloween card!
Warm Regards,
Erica
Lettering & Design Artist
Flourish Forum Shop
Instagram

Offline InkyFingers

• All creations not equal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2022, 12:44:12 AM »
@Erica McPhee & @AnasaziWrites I only wish to have uh-ohs like yours.  They are beautiful.
@K-2 I don't see any uh-oh's in your wonderful water colors!

Exactly 6 yrs ago, my daughter lost her very first baby tooth.  She didn't cry holding her first tooth between her fingers.
Here's to that occasion:

Offline Cyril Jayant

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2022, 12:31:55 PM »

And then there is the intentional mistake (uh-oh) meant to send a message, as in one of my earlier Inktober posts, meant to say that it's ok to post something with a mistake, or something that is not "perfect." or even good. You all were too kind not to mention it. (That will be corrected after the end of Inkvent 2022.)

@Erica McPhee & @AnasaziWrites I only wish to have uh-ohs like yours.  They are beautiful.

Exactly 6 yrs ago, my daughter lost her very first baby tooth.  She didn't cry holding her first tooth between her fingers.
Here's to that occasion:

The calligraphers definitely have the clever responses to this prompt!
@Erica McPhee - love the splatters!  And Oh what an O!
Mike - what a great idea for a collage of "uh-oh"

This bit of pedantry goes out to @Zivio - missing you, pal!

One of my favorite things to look for in manuscripts is how scribes dealt with errors.  Many scribes simply didn't care all that much if there were things we might call "errors".  Spelling didn't get codified until the end of the 18th century; punctuation as we know it also didn't exist...  For instance, the Book of Kells, lauded as one of the all-time artistic masterpieces of Europe, actually contains a fairly crappy text of the gospels, full of errors and omissions and redundancies.  Some of them they fixed, but some dropped or repeated words or letters or mis-conjugated verbs just stayed in as is.

Still, I really like how the Book of Kells scribes added this passage they left out at the bottom of the page - they put a dotted red cross where it should go: https://digitalcollections.tcd.ie/concern/folios/j3860713x

Sometimes scribes would scrape the dried ink off the parchment.  And in this way, parchment is superior to paper @AnasaziWrites - you can get ALL the visible ink off, and reuse it for something else.  In this miniature depicting the 12th Century writer, Marie de France, she has a quill in her right hand (writing) and a knife in her left hand (scraping): https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marie_de_France#/media/File:Marie_de_France_1.tif

But the heavy metals in the ink would penetrate into the skins, and when you shine a UV light on it, they'll fluoresce!  It's how we found the earliest extant manuscript copy of Cicero's "De re publica" - as a palimpsest, scraped off and written over with a copy of St. Augustine's exposition on the Psalms: https://spotlight.vatlib.it/palimpsests/about/vat-lat-5757-inf

Maybe some of my favorite corrections are from the Saint John's Bible - check out the bee error treatment on this page from the book of Wisdom: https://sites.up.edu/saintjohnsbible/correction-bumblebee-2015/

/pedantry

I'll admit that I conceptualized this picture in response to the prompt (like black cats being a bad omen), but with the secondary intention of using it for my Halloween card to my god-children!

Here's to that occasion:

All I could say is ....OH LA LA....to all of you... It is always fabulous work and very inspiring. I wish I too joined this but I'll do it next time ...
Thank you for all of you !!! ;D Oh La La La la ....

Offline Cyril Jayant

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2022, 12:33:39 PM »

Lovely work Mike !!  ;D

Offline Lucie Y

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2022, 06:56:49 PM »
Lovely work everyone! I feel like I am learning from every post you share, and I love love love following everyone's inktober journey.
Here is my Uh Oh of the day, I set out to do a nice poem, and as I was painting the last details of the vines, and almost finished, with miniatum already laid, a drop of water fell on the text and smudged it.

Admittedly, the word I used was stronger than Uh-Oh.

Still I learned a lot from this one, albeit the hard way.

See you tomorrow friends!
Oh crêpe!