Author Topic: Ink that changes color as it dries??  (Read 5443 times)

Offline JanisTX

• Super Hero Member
    • View Profile
Ink that changes color as it dries??
« on: June 15, 2019, 03:40:23 PM »
My niece sent me a short video she found on Facebook of an unidentified (and very talented) calligrapher who was using an iridescent ink that changed color as it dried. Does anyone know what the ink is or who the calligrapher is??

Offline Bianca M

• Super Hero Member
  • Tempus Fugit
    • View Profile
    • Bianca Mascorro Calligraphy & Art
Re: Ink that changes color as it dries??
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2019, 09:14:52 PM »
Ooh, this rings a bell.  What did the color start off as, and what did it change to?  Fox and Quills has some clever inks, and I wouldn't be surprised if they'd put something like that out at one time as a limited edition.  https://www.etsy.com/shop/FoxandQuills?ref=simple-shop-header-name&listing_id=451637472&section_id=19210394

Perhaps you could contact Suzie to see if she had or has anything like that (orrrrr maybe wants to make it  ;))? 

Offline JanisTX

• Super Hero Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2019, 06:10:57 PM »
@Bianca M it was really interesting. Her video shoes various colors morphing into different colors. One was purple that changed to pink. Another was green that morphed to yellow. Another was brown that morphed into gold. She didn’t appear to do anything to make it change. It just changed as it dried.  The video came through Facebook Messenger. I wish that I could figure out how to post it here!  The ink is fantastic!

Offline Bianca M

• Super Hero Member
  • Tempus Fugit
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2019, 12:03:18 AM »
Interesting indeed!  I'd love to see that. I can never figure out how to share FB videos outside of FB!

Offline hzw8813

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2019, 09:21:48 AM »
There are a couple of fountain pen inks that have a "sheen" to other colors! J Herbin Emerald of Chivor is a great example. Organic Studio Nitrogen is another example. I would recommend specifically search for fountain pen inks that have a sheen or a glitter effect! Goulet pens and Jetpens both have a lot to choose from!

Offline JanisTX

• Super Hero Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2019, 02:23:00 PM »
@hzw8813 I'm going to check it out!  She (I assume it's a female because of the size of the hand) demonstrated both with a pointed nib and also with a broad edge nib (I think it was Blackletter).  She was very, very good at calligraphy.  I'm going to check out those inks.  Thanks for the hints!!

Offline Erica McPhee

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • Be brave. Love life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2019, 08:46:35 PM »
So gorgeous!~ This ink is Emerald of Chivor. You can find at @goldspotpens   ;D
Warm Regards,
Erica
Lettering & Design Artist
Flourish Forum Shop
Instagram

Offline JanisTX

• Super Hero Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2019, 08:02:10 AM »
@Erica McPhee You have saved my life! :-)  I have been relentlessly searching for that ink since my niece sent me the video!  I've spent hours upon hours searching the Internet!  I have ordered the ink & I am anxiously awaiting its arrival!  Thanks for your help!

Janis

Offline Bianca M

• Super Hero Member
  • Tempus Fugit
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2019, 03:44:57 PM »
Janis, the FB video you sent me is exactly the one I came across while searching!  What I didn't notice before is his Instagram handle in the lower left. 

www.instagram.com/made.by.edgar
and one example of that ink is https://www.instagram.com/p/BsEX8koDqaV/

However, if you read some of the comments, you'll see people have purchased the ink and don't have the same results, but he hasn't answered questions about that.  I haven't dug any deeper on his other posts with the same ink effect; perhaps he shares more in those.  It's possible they just didn't buy the same bottle!  I am not letting myself explore the source because I know that if I do, I will buy too many things, so I will just cross my fingers that you got the magic stuff. ;)

Offline JanisTX

• Super Hero Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2019, 05:11:15 PM »
@Bianca M The ink is stupid expensive, but I bought it anyway!!!  I'll let you know what I think!  I've got my fingers crossed that it works like the video.  I did miss the guy's Instagram link.  I'm going to go & look him up.  Is he a calligrapher, or just a videographer?? 

If the ink doesn't behave like the video, I wonder if adding a drop of alcohol might affect the ink?  When my friend, Google, couldn't find the morphing ink, I began to wonder if it was alcohol ink.  If you look at alcohol ink paintings, they are kind of similar.  It's rude of him to not answer people who are asking for help or more information.  Why make a video & then refuse to help people who are trying to do what you did in the video?

I don't know how long the company will take to ship the ink, but I'm sitting on the edge of my chair & very eager to try it!!

Thanks for your help!

Janis

Offline JanisTX

• Super Hero Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2019, 05:14:33 PM »
@Bianca M I found him on Instagram.  He is SERIOUSLY talented!!  Wow!

Janis

Offline Bianca M

• Super Hero Member
  • Tempus Fugit
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2019, 12:19:02 AM »
@JanisTX he really is talented!  And you have me digging deep - I found this video of him reviewing the ink.  It looks like it's a matter of shaking vs. not shaking the bottle to get those effects (as well as using the different color offerings they have, which he did not specify on this posts).

I don't know about alcohol inks - very curious!

Offline JanisTX

• Super Hero Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2019, 07:47:47 AM »
@Bianca M Thanks for the YouTube link!  It was super informative!  He really is a great talent!  I don't know why I haven't heard of him before!  I think that when the ink arrives, I will use my magnetic stirrer, to keep it mixed.  I'll post results!

Janis

Offline Inked botanicals

• View Profile
    • My Instagram
« Reply #13 on: June 19, 2019, 09:09:15 AM »
Hi! I have that ink! It is wonderful! You need a very wet pen and tomoe river paper for the best green-red-gold shimmer effect!! I use it on fountain pens for a really wow effect with letters!! But there are so many papers that only give the turquoise color and no effect, so do not desperate if you can’t achieve it, just try other paper!
Alba.

Instagram: @inked_botanicals

Offline jeanwilson

• Super Hero Member
    • View Profile
    • Pushing the Envelopes
« Reply #14 on: June 19, 2019, 01:00:51 PM »
Not color changing - just drying - but fun to watch

https://www.thisiscolossal.com/2019/06/asmr-calligraphy/