Author Topic: Photoshop VS Photoshop Elements?  (Read 5260 times)

Offline HappyHaley

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
    • Haley Ping Arts
Photoshop VS Photoshop Elements?
« on: December 11, 2015, 10:09:09 PM »
PS experts: I'm often frustrated with design type programs (it all goes back to being an illustration major and being told I wasn't techie enough and I should switch to printmaking...12 years ago now and I did switch and never really learned design software). My question is if I was to learn and buy one for my calligraphy, which should I get? Honestly, I prefer Elements because of the price tag but if it can't do what I want, it is a waste of money. 

What I want to do is:

1. scan my artwork (watercolor and calligraphy...mostly broad edge at this point) and save to send to a fancy printer to reproduce for me (possibly even for giclee prints at some point) - minimum 300 dpi and RBG color
2. adjust the color (levels) possibly using an adjuster like this for very close color: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0055MBQOM/?tag=w0834-20
3. scan and cut out calligraphy (probably not the right term) for sending out for making a letterpress plate

Can I do those things with Elements?

Thanks!
~Haley

Offline AmyNeub

• View Profile
    • 5th Floor Designs & Calligraphy
Re: Photoshop VS Photoshop Elements?
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2015, 06:28:37 PM »
I only have and use Photoshop. You can do those things. I haven't touched Elements.

I know Lynda.com has great tutorials with both programs. Maybe check it out. They let you have free trial period.

Offline HappyHaley

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
    • Haley Ping Arts
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2015, 03:41:54 PM »
Thanks! I just won't use it often so I hate to pay for an ongoing membership. I like to buy things outright. I'm using the free trial for PS right now to have my Christmas cards printed. I should try Elements trial and see if I can do the same things. Haven't heard of Lynda.com, I'll definitely check it out!

Offline SunnyMoni

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2015, 05:07:12 PM »
I'll second that Lynda.com has great tutorials on many, many things!
Monica

Offline Susan C

• View Profile
    • Susan M. Carter Photography
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2015, 06:08:59 PM »
Elements is a straight purchase, not a subscription. It is on sale right now for $69.99. http://www.adobe.com/products/photoshop-elements.html 

I use regular Photoshop and don't know what exactly Elements can do.

Offline SunnyMoni

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2015, 07:06:29 PM »
My knowledge of elements is a bit old because I haven't used it in nearly 6 years since I have the full version now. I do remember it being a little more basic and maybe not being as fine tuned as far as its capabilities. At the same time that could very well have been due to my very basic skills at the time compared the a year later when I got the full version.
Monica

Offline Erica McPhee

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • Be brave. Love life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2015, 08:14:30 PM »
Yes, you can definitely do those things with Elements. Elements is really all you need unless you are getting into some heavy duty photo manipulation/processing. It will even allow you do to actions like the full Photoshop.

Illustrator is the one that is trickier to learn but necessary if you want to vectorize your calligraphy for blowing it up larger (like sign or poster size) or even for some types of printing like Letterpress or Engraving.

Hope that helps!
Warm Regards,
Erica
Lettering & Design Artist
Flourish Forum Shop
Instagram

Offline SunnyMoni

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2015, 09:23:35 PM »
Yes, you can definitely do those things with Elements. Elements is really all you need unless you are getting into some heavy duty photo manipulation/processing. It will even allow you do to actions like the full Photoshop.

Illustrator is the one that is trickier to learn but necessary if you want to vectorize your calligraphy for blowing it up larger (like sign or poster size) or even for some types of printing like Letterpress or Engraving.

Hope that helps!

I love Illustrator! It does have a bit of a learning curve but there are some really cool things you can do with it.
Monica

Offline AndyT

• Super Hero Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2015, 06:05:32 AM »
Just putting in a word for Gimp and Inkscape.  The Gimp site doesn't seem to be loading at the moment (wouldn't you know it?), but no doubt it'll be back soon.  Here is an alternative download site for Windows.  They are free open source equivalents of Photoshop and Illustrator respectively, and available for Windows, MacOS and proper operating systems Linux/Unix/BSD.  ;)

Offline ekeyart

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
    • Admin
« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2015, 04:36:08 AM »
Just putting in a word for Gimp and Inkscape.  The Gimp site doesn't seem to be loading at the moment (wouldn't you know it?), but no doubt it'll be back soon.  Here is an alternative download site for Windows.  They are free open source equivalents of Photoshop and Illustrator respectively, and available for Windows, MacOS and proper operating systems Linux/Unix/BSD.  ;)

Proper operating systems...

That really made me laugh as it sounds sooooo old!!! hahaha (no disrespect)  ;D
Elayne x
Great ideas are meant to be shared
https://instagram.com/ekeyart

Offline dancingfish

• View Profile
    • dancingfish
« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2015, 02:29:23 PM »

Hey, Mac OS X is BSD....  (it's one of the main reasons (no joke) that I switched to it years ago)

I don't use Gimp since I have used Photoshop for a very long time and will probably continue with it.  But while I have Illustrator as well, I've started using Inkscape, as I'm trying to avoid the Adobe subscription deathtrap for everything except my essentials (mainly photography) and I don't have a ton of time invested learning Illustrator at this point.  Inkscape seems very capable for my needs so far. 

The reason I started using Inkscape was related to this forum.  Someone had posted a few months ago about Adobe Shape (iOS/Android) as a fast way to vectorize calligraphy, and I tried it out, but I wanted to get the results on to my laptop in SVG format.  I finally figured out how to get them out of the Adobe cloud, but then the files wouldn't open in Illustrator (it actually crashed).  I downloaded Inkscape, and it opened the files just fine.  So I just kept using it.

There's a Skillshare class on Inkscape that I'm planning to check out soon.