Author Topic: Worst Papers??  (Read 782 times)

Offline Karl H

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
Worst Papers??
« on: October 09, 2019, 03:43:11 PM »
Hi Forum Folke!

I'd like to come at this from a different direction: what papers have you had issues with, stuff that was just miserable to work with, didn't take ink well, bled, blotted, fibers pulling up, etc.  There's a whole list of "good" papers to use, but I can't find anything about which papers to avoid.  Anyone willing to share their disasters with us?

Offline K-2

• View Profile
Re: Worst Papers??
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2019, 09:43:42 PM »
Okay - I'll share.  I've had a little pressure from my local public library to serve on its board of directors, which I do not have time for.  Nonetheless, it was a very flattering and kind invitation, so I wanted to make them a little token of my appreciation in the form of some custom book plates for the executive committee.

I thought I'd take some Avery labels, spray them with matte fixative (my go-to for substandard paper), and make some fancy name plates for them.

People - they absorbed all that matte spray, curled up, and still bled and bled and bled - even with sumi ink, even with India ink. even with gouache.  Hard Fail.  the. worst. paper. ever.

Offline Daniel McGill

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
Re: Worst Papers??
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2019, 10:38:28 AM »
Honestly, the worst paper I have used was manuscript pen company calligraphy paper. Despite their name, they weren't good for anything other then their own stuff and it was so limiting.