Author Topic: Can you store ground Chinese ink?  (Read 400 times)

Offline Chessie

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
Can you store ground Chinese ink?
« on: April 03, 2023, 11:11:09 PM »
I've got some dinky dips that have nice screw-on plastic caps. 

I grind Chinese ink for my calligraphy each day and...frankly, it feels like I waste a lot of ink because I have to pour out a bit at the end of each day, then regrind it at the start of the next day.  Don't get me wrong - I love grinding ink, but this does feel a bit of a waste if I ground a BUNCH.

I know the general philosophy on ink is that you can't store wet ink in a covered ink-stone for more than a day, but those are porous.  Can you store wet ink in a plastic dinky dip and still use it for a few days in a row or is it going to separate terribly? 

Offline Erica McPhee

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • Be brave. Love life!
    • View Profile
Re: Can you store ground Chinese ink?
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2023, 11:59:34 AM »
That’s a great question. I don’t know the answer but why not give it a try? If you are just going to discard the ink anyway, throw it in a dinky dip. My question is whether there is anything to prevent it from molding already in the ink.
Warm Regards,
Erica
Lettering & Design Artist
Flourish Forum Shop
Instagram

Offline Chessie

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2023, 12:19:36 PM »
There's nothing to prevent it from molding specifically, but I think I can just use boiled water or distilled and that will extend the life of it.  I'm going to try storing it for a week.  I'll shake it once a day, then see in a week how it writes and report back. 

Offline Chessie

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2023, 11:49:22 AM »
That’s a great question. I don’t know the answer but why not give it a try? If you are just going to discard the ink anyway, throw it in a dinky dip. My question is whether there is anything to prevent it from molding already in the ink.

I've now tested it for a week and, no joke, the ink keeps fine.  It hasn't lost any color and I give it a quick shake each day to get it stirred.  Brilliant.  This simplified my 'getting to calligraphy' process considerably.

Offline Erica McPhee

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • Be brave. Love life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2023, 02:00:35 PM »
That is great news! Thanks for sharing!
Warm Regards,
Erica
Lettering & Design Artist
Flourish Forum Shop