Author Topic: Favorite Practice Paper  (Read 123736 times)

Offline Mark T

• No amount of evidence will ever persuade an idiot.
    • View Profile
Re: Favorite Practice Paper
« Reply #255 on: August 24, 2023, 01:05:39 PM »
Hello,

This is my first post in open forum, so be gentle with me.;D
I am brand new to calligraphy. I have all the gear, but at present, I have no idea.
I have bought countless practice paper, and each and every one I have tried has allowed ink to bleed through, or has been scratchy - with the exception of Clairefontaine (squared). That is until this week. I have purchased 'Evolution Premium 100% recycled 120gms white'.
To the point -
Used - Tom's Studio 'Bloom' dip pen with a Brause 361b Steno nib with Diamine 'Dark Orchid' calligraphy ink.
I wrote the usual, The quick brown fox,.... and 1-30 half a dozen times. When I turned the paper over there was very thin bleed through which was evident on the down strokes. I then did the same practice making a conscious effort not to press too hard on the down strokes. When I turned the paper over there was no bleed through. So, now all I have to do is remember to be lighter with my touch. It's not always the paper is the lesson learned. I'm getting their, which has made my day.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2023, 05:24:05 PM by Mark T »
Laughter is definitely the best medicine, but Wolves destroying WBA runs laughter close, and the Yankees winning the World Series is ................ laughter is the best medicine, remember?

Offline Erica McPhee

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • Be brave. Love life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #256 on: August 24, 2023, 03:32:39 PM »
Hi Carpio,
Welcome to Flourish! I have never tried that paper before so I will have to give it a go. My standard practice papers are in order:

1. Rhodia Notepads, blank, orange or black cover
2. Kokuyo Japanese inkjet paper, 64 gsm, white degree 80%
3. HP Premium Laser Jet, 32#, 100 brightness

Hope that helps!  ;D
Warm Regards,
Erica
Lettering & Design Artist
Flourish Forum Shop
Instagram

Offline Despoina

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #257 on: August 24, 2023, 04:34:20 PM »
I really love Rhodia pads also! For a change to the "normal" one, I am about to get the Pascribe's grey pad (and some kuretake vermillion ink, they say it goes wonderful together?). I hope it is just as great as Rhodia's ones for some smooth practise sessions  :D

Offline Cyril Jayant

• View Profile
    • https://twitter.com/jaycyril
« Reply #258 on: October 19, 2023, 08:15:11 AM »
I have a question for you @Erica McPhee ,
It is on papers again. I have inkjet photo papers Ilford gallery/ Permajet -(Fine art Perma jet) Inkjet Media papers , Hahnemühle Fineart paper.  They are all for photo laser and ink jet printing.

These kind of photo papers could be used for Calligraphy writing? Are those writing last longer as the pigment ink? Sound something silly to some but I am just curious.
You know I was into photography and I had my own home printing. Now I don't have a printer and have a considerable paper stock as leftovers. I am thinking to use those into Pen and ink and is it going to work? haven't tested any of the papers  under a printed pens and ink.
So as a Photographer You can tell me your experience  and knowledge based on your professional  use of papers on calligraphy , have you ever think of the combination of photo papers ( Some cotton rags photo papers )  be used on calligraphy?
I know those papers are very thick like Bristol board  finish. Cartoon type and have very different textures. Some will suits for Very broad edge calligraphy and Brush calligraphy or Automatic pen type calligraphy.

I like to see your point of view on this question Erika !!!  :( and thank you .. 

Offline Erica McPhee

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • Be brave. Love life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #259 on: October 19, 2023, 10:59:49 AM »
Excellent questions @Cyril Jayant . Unfortunately, it is difficult to answer. As you know, photo paper is specially treated to accept ink. However, not all inkjet papers will take calligraphy ink. So it is really a matter of trial and error. I have noticed even HP Laserjet paper has changed their sizing a few years ago and it isn’t as calligraphy friendly as it used to be. I only use inkjet paper as practice paper so I do not worry much about lightfastness or longevity. For art pieces, I lean toward Mixed Media paper which takes both ink and watercolors and has a smooth surface.

Cotton rag paper, depending upon the sizing and texture, can sometimes be beautiful for calligraphy but other times just a bleeding mess. There is a handmade paper I have purchased online that takes both calligraphy ink and inkjet. It is really surprising that it takes the calligraphy ink so well but it is sized properly.

Give it a try and let us know how it goes!  :)
Warm Regards,
Erica
Lettering & Design Artist
Flourish Forum Shop
Instagram

Offline paulette8

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #260 on: January 22, 2024, 12:11:40 AM »
Hi everyone!

On paper, HP 32 has worked okay for me but not that great when using EF nibs. I had HP24 on my printer when I started on calligraphy. I liked that paper better. It seems to be smoother.
Clairefontain is great, blank or grid Rhodes is awesome. My favorites are Canson XL, and tracing paper.
For crafts and cards, Marker paper works great. Watercolor paper creates a nice contrast due to texture. Two things to have in mind though to really make this work are 1) soft texture paper over ‘bumpy’ texture 2) type of ink. Bombay, Windsor and Newton, and Sumi work very well. Bombay works great on watercolor paper. One last thing when using watercolor paper, per my experience, small writing can be a true challenge. I have not find a way to achieve crisp and neat results.
Paulette