Author Topic: Buying a new oblique  (Read 9752 times)

Offline Empty_of_Clouds

• Seeker
    • View Profile
Buying a new oblique
« on: March 21, 2016, 06:06:12 AM »
Hey good people all.

As you may (or may not) recall, I had a bit of an unfortunate accident and smashed my obliques. All 3 of them.  Since then I've been moping around and doing nothing.  I scraped some cash together with a view to trying to get a vintage fountain pen with a flexible nib, but sadly the prices are currently rather disgusting. 

Anyway, as it is my birthday this week I thought I may divert what little money I have toward a new holder.  I get one present each year, that I buy for myself, although rather strangely this year I have a card from someone (not sure who yet, birthday's at the end of the week).  Normally don't get any card. Odd.  Pressing on, I was thinking about the ergonomic holders that Connie Chen makes.  They look quite robust as well as compact. Kind of like a warped carrot holder I suppose.

Has anyone got one of these holders, and how do you find it as a writing tool?

ps. I did try to make a holder out of some dowel, but my whittling skills nearly resulted in another trip to the emergency department, so it's probably best if I leave the sharp tools alone!

Offline melanie jane

• View Profile
    • English Pen Crafts
Re: Buying a new oblique
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2016, 07:52:03 AM »
Hi, I'm glad you've decided to give calligraphy another go!  I can't speak for Connie's pens, but I recently had a go at carving an oblique holder (pic here http://theflourishforum.com/forum/index.php?topic=4534.0)  It takes a bit of getting used to, but comparing it to an ordinary pen, it is more comfortable.  I can see that some may not like like it when they first pick it up, as it does feel weird, but I think that once they've used it for a while and are used to it, they'd like it.  I daresay Connie's pens are quite similar in feel.
Permanently distracted making penholders

English Pen Crafts  Instagram

Offline valerie a.

• Freshman Member
  • Frenchie.Leftie.Translator & Jewelry artist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2016, 04:44:59 AM »
Maybe you should check the thread Christo started about a cheap oblique from China ?
My other IG account: @lune_hiver
Twitter/Periscope: @ferrogallique

Offline Elizabeth O.

• View Profile
    • Elizabeth Oxenfeld
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2016, 07:26:03 PM »
Have you considered an hourglass adjustable oblique?

It can be found at Paper and Ink Arts.

I can't say enough good things about it!
All my best -- Elizabeth O.

Website | Instagram

Offline Empty_of_Clouds

• Seeker
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2016, 07:54:02 PM »
melanie.jane,  my last attempt at carving anything almost ended in a trip to ED.

valerie a., it's my birthday! I would like to get something interesting.

Elizabeth O., I like the hourglass. It was one of the three that I had that got sat on, alas.

Just fancied trying something different this time around.

Offline melanie jane

• View Profile
    • English Pen Crafts
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2016, 08:01:15 PM »
I wasn't suggesting that you carve your own this time!  You were asking for opinions of what Connie's ergonomic pens were like, since no-one seems to have been able to offer an opinion, I was just telling my experience of what an ergonomic pen felt like ;-)

Happy birthday, by the way!

Offline tintenfuchs

• Super Hero Member
    • View Profile
    • Instagram
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2016, 06:49:30 AM »
If you don't have much money, go for the hourglass oblique.
Natascha
My Instagram

Offline melanie jane

• View Profile
    • English Pen Crafts
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2016, 07:23:57 AM »
I don't know if it's just me, but I don't find the hourglass oblique comfortable at all.  I'm not exactly sure what it is, but I think it's partly that it's too thin and slippery, and that combined with the weight of the bullock flange keeps pulling the pen around in my hand.  Anyone else find this?

Offline FlowerCityLetters

• View Profile
    • Flower City Letters
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2016, 09:19:16 AM »
I don't know if it's just me, but I don't find the hourglass oblique comfortable at all.  I'm not exactly sure what it is, but I think it's partly that it's too thin and slippery, and that combined with the weight of the bullock flange keeps pulling the pen around in my hand.  Anyone else find this?

I'm glad I'm not the only one! I feel the exact same way. I used it for awhile, but I just could not use it for a long amount of time. I have really small hands so I thought it would be a good fit, but I guess it's too skinny for me lol.

EoC - You can get a pen from Christopher Yoke for as little as $45 I've seen. His holders are fabulous and done with such care - highly recommend if you're able.

Offline Tanvir Ahmed

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2016, 12:44:52 PM »

I'm glad I'm not the only one! I feel the exact same way. I used it for awhile, but I just could not use it for a long amount of time. I have really small hands so I thought it would be a good fit, but I guess it's too skinny for me lol.

EoC - You can get a pen from Christopher Yoke for as little as $45 I've seen. His holders are fabulous and done with such care - highly recommend if you're able.

Surprisingly, Hourglass Holder is my favorite at this time.  I like the grip section to be preferably around 3/8" (~10mm).    I have normal to large size hands.

Of all the currently manufactured pen holders, Chris Yoke, who is mentioned above put the Hourglass holder ahead of anything else in his youtube review.  However if someone does not like a particular writing instrument, there are plenty of other for different needs and tastes.

Thank you.
Tanvir
« Last Edit: March 23, 2016, 05:17:24 PM by Tanvir Ahmed »

Offline garyn

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2016, 06:46:54 PM »
Micheal Sull also sells an oblqiue holder for $45.  I got one at the SF Pen Show. 
http://spencerian.com/images/MichaelSullSpencerianCatalog2015.pdf
I did not think it would make a difference, but DANG if I was wrong.  That oblique though larger/fatter than the 'adjustable hourglass' and the Peerless obliques, was very comfortable to hold.
That made me think more openly about trying some of the other obliques on the market.
Gary

Offline Empty_of_Clouds

• Seeker
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2016, 06:26:15 AM »
I know that.  I think you are missing the point that it is/was my birthday.  I thought I might get something a bit more appealing to me, rather than just another generic holder.

Raayynuh, I don't think I've ever seen any of Mr Yoke's holders at that price.  Besides which, if I was to request one from him I would probably want to push the boat out a bit.  Of course I would first have to acquire a boat!

Offline YokePenCo

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2016, 08:54:50 PM »
Thanks everyone for the kind words. :)

In regards to Connie's Pens, or any other ergonomic pen holder for that matter, there is one thing to consider. It forces your hand into a traditional grip, whereas your knuckles are facing up. This is a wonderful thing to learn, but most of the world does not have that grip by default. Below is a video I did on ergonomic grips and demonstrates what I am referring to.

FYI, I do own one of Connie's Pens (which are made by her boyfriend Jon) and it is great for that traditional grip and cosmetically different from most.

https://youtu.be/4pUSLJ1vAKA

Christopher J. Yoke
www.yokepencompany.com

Offline Tanvir Ahmed

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2016, 09:23:38 PM »
In regards to Connie's Pens, or any other ergonomic pen holder for that matter, there is one thing to consider. It forces your hand into a traditional grip, whereas your knuckles are facing up. This is a wonderful thing to learn, but most of the world does not have that grip by default.
https://youtu.be/4pUSLJ1vAKA

Are you referring the hand position for spencerian script, ornamental or otherwise. at high speed?  For Engrosser script, Lupfer have the following directions.  "Shoulders up.  The hand may turn over on the side more than in ordinary writing.  By having it over on the side there is a firm foundation for the hand, which is necessary in slow writing, such as roundhand".  And from the writing I guess for slow Spencerian also like Michael Sull.  I have only seen Michael Sull writing in youtube and his index finder is to the right of the pen instead on the top of the pen.  Not sure about the position of the wrist.

Personally when I practicing Palmer method, I hold my pen in the way you have described above but when I am doing copperplate, I move the hand to Lupfer instructions.

Thank you.
Tanvir
« Last Edit: March 26, 2016, 06:02:44 AM by Tanvir Ahmed »

Offline YokePenCo

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 25, 2016, 09:36:25 PM »
Correct the grip now used for high speed OP & Spencerian. That was traditionally how all people were taught to hold and use the pen, predating the Lupfer instructions.

Christopher J. Yoke
www.yokepencompany.com