Author Topic: Found myself a new hobby  (Read 876 times)

Offline chaser27

• View Profile
Found myself a new hobby
« on: February 19, 2019, 11:06:03 AM »
Hey everyone! My name is Chas and I stumbled into this a few weeks ago and can't stop thinking about it, so I figured I'd join and give it a try. I'm not very artistic, I have an engineers mind and the only other forum I'm a part of is a car forum.

How I got here. Aka Story Time. Skip if you don't care.
I had a favorite pen (like I'm sure most of you do) Zebra F-701 with the clicker replaced by the F-402 to make it "full metal".  Definitely not the first person to do this modification, but recently found out that they are replacing the F-701 line with something new but essentially the same thing. I took the opportunity to search for something new and see if there was anything I wanted to go with instead. In my research, I watched A LOT of Youtube reviews on pens and in those reviews, they tend to demonstrate the writing ability of the instrument and more often than not demonstrate their terrible handwriting. It bothered me. Not that I have good handwriting either, but I felt that for whatever reason, if you are considering yourself an expert enough to review something you should at least be able to wield it well. From there, I started to look at videos to improve your handwriting, stumbled into calligraphy videos and then got mesmerized by all the videos of people doing it "live". Anyway, started playing with the different pressures with my ball point pen, dug out an old fountain pen I had bought years ago on a whim and have been practicing every chance I get. After writing and leaving a few letters to my wife around the house, she let me buy an oblique nib holder a few nibs and ink for Valentine's day and I'm not so patiently waiting on their arrival.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to hopefully getting better and being able to create something beautiful without having to be too creative, since I'm not. Flourishing is going to be really tough for me haha.

Offline Erica McPhee

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • Be brave. Love life!
    • View Profile
Re: Found myself a new hobby
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2019, 11:28:32 AM »
Hi Chas! @chaser27

Great intro! It’s like if you give a mouse a cookie ... one thing leads to another. I am predicting you will be very good at calligraphy as the engineer’s mind will serve you well. Breaking down the strokes, examining how things work together = key ingredients for success. I think that is why people who have an analytical mind can also do well with calligraphy.

You must be very excited for your new pen holder and nibs to arrive! What a treat! Welcome to Flourish!  ;D
Warm Regards,
Erica
Lettering & Design Artist
Flourish Forum Shop
Instagram

Offline Bianca M

• Super Hero Member
  • Tempus Fugit
    • View Profile
    • Bianca Mascorro Calligraphy & Art
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2019, 11:37:12 AM »
Welcome, Chas!

Offline CraigRuhl

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
    • Faith On Every Corner
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2019, 12:53:50 PM »
Welcome, Chas! And now you stand at the edge of the slippery slope of pens, inks, and papers. Have fun!
Craig Ruhl
A novice penman, seasoned writer, voracious reader, and all-around nice guy. I am a lifetime collector and user of fountain pens.

Offline lizabetht

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2019, 09:23:36 AM »
Hi Chas,

I'm a little late in welcoming you, but I'm wondering how you are doing with your Valentine's presents? 

Welcome to the Flourish Forum; there are lots of great people and great resources here!

Liz