Author Topic: Best place to get an oblique holder for a crow quill?  (Read 7565 times)

Offline Jamie

• View Profile
Best place to get an oblique holder for a crow quill?
« on: March 04, 2016, 08:52:31 PM »
I've really come to love using the occasional crow quills I find, but the only holder I've got is a straight one from John Neal Booksellers, which while it does the job, isn't perfect.

So I'm really hoping someone can tell me a good place to get a crow quill oblique holder, extra points if it's from within the US so I can get it shipped a little quicker. Or if you know of a really really nice straight holder for crowquills I'd be open to hearing about that too.

Thanks!

Offline AnasaziWrites

• Super Hero Member
  • Ad astra, per aspera
    • View Profile
Re: Best place to get an oblique holder for a crow quill?
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2016, 09:41:56 PM »
That's easy.

http://www.yokepencompany.com/

Chris can make anything and it will look good too.

Offline Jamie

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2016, 10:03:23 PM »
I guess I should have said preferably not handmade. While handmade is pretty it's almost always not worth the price for me. Not for a tool I will likely mistreat, and eventually break, lol.

Offline Salman Khattak

• View Profile
    • Toronto Pen Company
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2016, 10:46:05 PM »
Any holder with a Bullock flange will take a crowquill.

It will take a bit of fiddling but I think one can fashion a flange that will just hold a crowquill with the nib slot in the shape of a cylinder of appropriate size rather than the half-moon shape for regular nibs. If you are up to some experimentation with Brass, you can use one of your existing holders with a flange like this.

- Salman

ps. I gave it a go. It was fairly straightforward. I made the cylinder a bit bigger than the nib using a 9/64" drill bit and then squished it just a tiny bit so the nib fits in with friction. (The nib is 1/8" diameter).

« Last Edit: March 05, 2016, 01:41:58 PM by SMK »
I have an opinion and I'm not afraid to use it.

Copperplate Tutorial :: Toronto Pen Company

Offline Jamie

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2016, 11:42:04 PM »
Thanks Salman. I'll consider trying that. Maybe sometime this weekend.

Offline melanie jane

• View Profile
    • English Pen Crafts
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2016, 07:34:08 AM »
The trouble with crowquills is that there are so many different sizes, that even a bullock flange may not be the right size for the crowquill you have.  Therefore, I would suggest you follow Salman's advice, and try and adapt an existing holder to the size of your nib.  I can't see the picture he posted, but I assume he's just used the existing flange and either prised it apart to accommodate the crowquill inside the flange, or curled the whole flange around so that it creates a cylindrical hole the size of the nib.
Permanently distracted making penholders

English Pen Crafts  Instagram

Offline AndyT

• Super Hero Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2016, 08:46:55 AM »
Make one, definitely.  It needn't be anything fancy, although I must admit I pushed the boat out:

Offline Elisabeth_M

• View Profile
    • Instagram
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2016, 09:27:32 AM »
Andy, I think you need to sell those. I am so amused by the idea of taking a modern ballpoint pen and making it into a dip pen.  :)
Science is a way of thinking much more than it is a body of knowledge.  --Carl Sagan

Instagram

Offline AndyT

• Super Hero Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2016, 05:44:05 PM »
I don't much fancy getting into a dispute with Societé Bic, Elisabeth.  :)

Anyway ... it's not just a visual gag, although obviously I wasn't going to pass up the opportunity to play it for laughs.  The fact is I'm more comfortable with wooden pencils and Bic ballpoints than anything else just on account of having used them all my life, so it's quite a practical option for me.  Also, as a community we do tend to get a bit hung up on equipment and shopping!

Offline Jamie

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2016, 06:11:43 PM »
Andy, out of curiosity, how did you put that together? Is the bit holding the nib just the typical brass sheet I think most people use to make their flanges?

Offline AndyT

• Super Hero Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2016, 09:12:27 AM »
The brass is thicker than I've used for other flanges: 0.4mm - if memory serves it was 0.2mm for the conventional ones which need a sharp fold.  The slot in the pen barrel can be cut with the point of a scalpel if you're patient, or a fine saw of your choice if you aren't.  It's held together with metal reinforced epoxy putty, which just happened to be to hand.  It's good stuff, but unpleasant to work with, so maybe someone could suggest a better alternative.

Offline darrin1200

• View Profile
    • Timber Elegance Pens
« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2016, 09:40:13 AM »
My Etsy store has been seeing lots of traffic lately, now that i am adding more dip pens.

For my obliques, I mainly do Zanerian flanges, but I wanted to try my hand at a Bullock style. One of the reasons was to be able to accomodate crow quills. I have never used one myself, and currently don't have one (on the next JohnNeal shopping list).

From reading Melanie's post above, it seems that the crow quills come in varying diameters. But when I was reading this article, http://www.iampeth.com/lesson/about-nibs/crow-quill-pens , Robert Hurford indicates that they are a standard size.

Do the crow quills vary in size?
If so, which are the nibs that are different? I am slowly building my collection of regular nibs so that I can fit and adjust my Zanerian's before I ship them out. If there are different crow quills, I guess I will need to collect a few of them as well.

Darrin McArthur
Timber Elegance ~ Handcrafted Writing Instruments

Offline Elisabeth_M

• View Profile
    • Instagram
« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2016, 09:59:33 AM »
I don't much fancy getting into a dispute with Societé Bic, Elisabeth.  :)

I suspect it would be okay as long as you were upcycling used pens.  I know what you mean about being more comfortable with pencils and Bic pens.  That's what I used growing up until I ventured into the world of mechanical pencils in college and gel pens most recently.
Science is a way of thinking much more than it is a body of knowledge.  --Carl Sagan

Instagram

Offline AndyT

• Super Hero Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2016, 06:39:13 PM »
the world of mechanical pencils ...

Now, there's a subject.  When I was a kid there were always 2mm drop-lead clutch pencils around (I think they're known as lead holders in the US), because my father was a draughtsman.  They were either Eagle Turquoise or Staedtler Mars brands, and closely modelled on wooden pencils but with a knurled metal section at the bottom for easy twirling to maintain a constant line width.  Great: I still use them.  As well as those there were the new fangled thin lead mechanical pencils, despised by old school types like my dad but compulsory for the new ISO and DIN standards.  There was only one model used professionally, the Pentel 20x, and it was customary to have the set of four.  Again, they're much the same in the hand as a wooden pencil: fairly light and slim and very basic.  Pretty much anything designed before the mid 70s would have been drawn initially with a wooden or clutch pencil, and anything from then to the arrival of CAD and plotter with a Pentel.  And inked with a Rotring Isograph, but that's another story!

Cut to today, and I can hardly believe some of the over-engineered contraptions marketed as draughting pencils: automatic lead rotation, shake to advance, barrels hewn out of solid unobtainium and so on.  All these features supposedly essential for the professional.  As far as I can see, from the standpoint of someone who has spent a lot of time at a drawing board, this is pure stationery fetishism ... it's actually rather fascinating and would make a novel subject for a thesis, if there's an academic discipline which concerns itself with this sort of thing.  I've become deeply cynical about high end writing products, whether it's fountain pens made from "precious resin" or ink which costs £1 for 2ml - but fancy mechanical pencils really do take the biscuit.  My philosophy now is to save money on tools and spend it on paper.  :)

Offline Salman Khattak

• View Profile
    • Toronto Pen Company
« Reply #14 on: March 06, 2016, 07:35:30 PM »
My Etsy store has been seeing lots of traffic lately, now that i am adding more dip pens.

For my obliques, I mainly do Zanerian flanges, but I wanted to try my hand at a Bullock style. One of the reasons was to be able to accomodate crow quills. I have never used one myself, and currently don't have one (on the next JohnNeal shopping list).

From reading Melanie's post above, it seems that the crow quills come in varying diameters. But when I was reading this article, http://www.iampeth.com/lesson/about-nibs/crow-quill-pens , Robert Hurford indicates that they are a standard size.

Do the crow quills vary in size?
If so, which are the nibs that are different? I am slowly building my collection of regular nibs so that I can fit and adjust my Zanerian's before I ship them out. If there are different crow quills, I guess I will need to collect a few of them as well.

Darrin, they used to come in different sizes but I think most crowquills today would be about the same size i.e. 1/8". I have a William Mitchell's 0567 Crowquill that seems to be just slightly bigger than the Zebra crowquill but fits fine in the flange I made for the Zebra (pictured above). Another vintage crowquill I have (John Heath No. 7) is cleary thinner and will not fit in the flange for the Zebra.

I don't use crowquill nibs and am in no way an expert but I think you'll be fine if your flange takes the 1/8" nibs.

Regards,
Salman
I have an opinion and I'm not afraid to use it.

Copperplate Tutorial :: Toronto Pen Company