Author Topic: Input for Making A Oblique Flange  (Read 7737 times)

Offline Alphabetguy

• View Profile
Input for Making A Oblique Flange
« on: June 24, 2014, 12:42:08 PM »
I am posting this thread as I am hoping for input from anyone with knowledge of making flanges for oblique holders. I am curious about tools required for the process or input of how the pen body is accurately cut for the flange slot.

At present I am thinking a handmade jig is required to bend brass into the shape of a flange. Wondering if there is a better method to cut a thin slot for the brass flange than using a band saw. Perhaps a Dremel jig or thin kerf Japanese handsaw.

I know this is not a woodworking forum but any help or advice with oblique pens and flanges will be greatly appreciated. I have searched on Fountain Pen Network but can not find specifics. Perhaps someone with knowledge of this subject can point me in the right directions for answers.

Alan

Offline Heebs

• View Profile
Re: Input for Making A Oblique Flange
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2014, 01:33:53 PM »
I would assume a dremel would do the trick, I can definitely tell that my custom ones were cut with a round blade.

As for the flange you just need some rounded pliers and the brass, this video shows how to make it with some found items but the general technique works for the flange. If you use new brass and rounded pliers it comes out much smoother of course, you could probably make a jig to bend it as well but it's pretty easy to do by hand.

Offline AndyT

• Super Hero Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2014, 01:45:16 PM »
I've made a few flanges; it didn't strike me as very difficult really.  0.2mm brass sheet (that's about 0.008") seems about right, and it can be cut with sturdy scissors and bent in the fingers.  A pair of pliers and ideally a mechanic's vice will help a lot though.  I bent mine around the shank of a suitable drill bit with a piece of scrap in between to leave a nib-sized gap.  A press tool or even a wooden jig would be overdoing it unless you're going into production I reckon, because the final adjustment is easily done with the fingers or round nosed pliers.

A jig would be worthwhile for cutting the slot though, if you propose using a Dremel with a cut-off disc - I guess that would be the professional's tool of choice.  A razor saw from the model shop works okay though, but the slot will be very tight ... a Japanese dozuki could well be the ideal handsaw.  Since you propose a bandsaw, does that mean you're going to cut all the way through and fix the flange with a pin, epoxy or both?  Whichever way I'd prefer to do it by hand, mostly because I've had enough wood machining, noise and mess to last a lifetime, but it's also easy to cut at a slight angle if you want to give the nib a slight upward rake without bending the brassware.

Hope that helps.  :)

Offline Alphabetguy

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2014, 02:20:33 PM »
Thank you Heebs. I just viewed your video and luv it!. VEry nice homemade pen and beautiful lettering to go with it. Excellent source of info for what I am after.

Alan

Offline Alphabetguy

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2014, 02:31:07 PM »
Thanks AndyT!
I was wondering about the hand saw as a better method than a band saw. I had thought about a vertical pen jig to do a partial cut in the underside of the pen body but I think the kerf will be to wide. I have an oblique pen from John Neal that allows the flange to slide out for replacement. Perhaps this might be a stronger pen construction method than cutting  a slot into the pen and pinning the flange. Cutting by hand also makes sense if the flange is set at an angle. Another oblique holder I own has the flange angled into the pen body.

Excellent info you posted and I appreciate it.

Alan

Offline AndyT

• Super Hero Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2014, 03:48:40 PM »
Great video Heebs, wonder how that one got past me up till now?  :)

Alphabetguy: the hole-in-the-end type of fixing is often known as the Zanerian method.  It's been around for ages (a patent was registered in 1886), and if replacing the flange is desirable it's a good way to go.  The slot doesn't have to be particularly tight: usually the two layers of brass are splayed out inside the hole and the assembly is stablised by wedging a toothpick in there and breaking it off.  No glue required!  There's a video which is worth a thousand words here.

Offline Heebs

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2014, 03:54:16 PM »
My personal preference is towards the Zanerian method for its ease of removal but that's mostly because I've been spending a lot of time experimenting with flanges lately. If I had the know-how/equipment to turn my own pens I would probably make one every day and never come out of the house  ::)

So far I've converted a couple of straight holders into obliques for fun.

AndyT I think I bumped into that video over at FPN randomly, really great starting point. Using rounded pliers make a world of difference though  8)

Offline AndyT

• Super Hero Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2014, 06:06:53 PM »
Yeah, I've got mixed feelings about making them - after all it is woodwork and that's the day job.  And I strongly believe in supporting master craftspeople by giving them my custom if I can afford it.  But on the other hand I do own a lathe and it would be something different to, ahem, turn my hand to.   ::)

Offline Alphabetguy

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2014, 06:33:24 PM »
Andy,
Thanks for another excellent video reference. My pen milling skills will benefit from it.
I will definitely mill an oblique sometime soon and I owe to yours and Heebs input.

Alan

Offline SueL

• View Profile
    • Instagram Oliveleafcalli
« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2014, 08:16:29 PM »
That's a cool video, Heebs.

Offline Heebs

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2014, 08:52:59 PM »
Yeah, I've got mixed feelings about making them - after all it is woodwork and that's the day job.  And I strongly believe in supporting master craftspeople by giving them my custom if I can afford it.  But on the other hand I do own a lathe and it would be something different to, ahem, turn my hand to.   ::)

I know what you mean, I really enjoy my custom pens but I love crafting with my hands as well (It's probably a way of relaxing after staring at the screen doing graphic design for 8+ hours a day). So it's more about understanding the process and playing around with how different tweaks (in the case of flanges: metals, bend angles, etc.) will affect the overall experience (it's essentially what we do in graphic design).

Offline prasad

• Super Hero Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2014, 03:16:24 AM »
As for the flange you just need some rounded pliers and the brass, this video shows how to make it with some found items but the general technique works for the flange. If you use new brass and rounded pliers it comes out much smoother of course, you could probably make a jig to bend it as well but it's pretty easy to do by hand.

I used this video to make my first flange.  Like you said, brass would make a much better flange,  but I just had a can lying around and used it for the trial.

Andy,
Thanks for another excellent video reference. My pen milling skills will benefit from it.
I will definitely mill an oblique sometime soon and I owe to yours and Heebs input.

Alan

HI Alan,  You can use that guide to make a flange.  Just increase the length of the strip that you start with and you can fold in one more loop to take a crow quill too.

Like Heebs said, it's quite easy to do the basic shaping just with a needle nose plier and a screwdriver.  But of course it LOOKS home made.   :)  Good quality brass sheets and some jigs will give you a much more professional look for sure.
Hope it helps  :)
Never be afraid to try something new
Remember - An amateur built the Ark and Professionals built the Titanic
My Instagram

Offline Alphabetguy

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 25, 2014, 06:49:46 PM »
prasad1970,
Cool pen. I appreciate your input.

I am considering making a jig form a piece of hardwood. If I have success with it I will post a photo. With a series of pen holders a jig  might be the way to go for consistency. Fora a one of a kind pen the plier bending method looks excellent.

Alan