Author Topic: Getting rid of ink?  (Read 2269 times)

Offline Brad franklin

• View Profile
Getting rid of ink?
« on: May 11, 2015, 01:46:58 PM »
Not sure if this is posted anywhere a quick search came up null. My question is does anyone pour ink down the sink. I have read someone say when they do the sink gets dirty, well only imagine what it does to the pipes. Does it have the capacity to clog the sink? Most people don't think twice about what they put down the pipes but I do because I have had mine cleaned and know what was stuck in there. Plus my job has required me to go to a sewer plants and I see first hand some of the stuff that claims you can flush but does not. I will not go into detail but I no longer but ink down the sink even while cleaning. I am only familiar with American systems.

Offline AndyT

• Super Hero Member
    • View Profile
Re: Getting rid of ink?
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2015, 04:39:17 PM »
There are persistent stories about people attempting to flush away Noodler's Baystate Blue, and winding up with a permanently blue sink.  Most other water based inks will probably disperse easily enough, but it does you credit that you're unhappy with the idea of pouring the stuff down the drain willy nilly.

Anyway, it seems a shame just to get rid of it.  Perhaps you could have a go at brush lettering, which looks like a good way to get rid of a lot of ink quickly:

Offline Brad franklin

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2015, 04:51:23 PM »
Goodness that looks like women's hair. Yikes what a big brush. I do not pour good ink. Maybe old ink or some I did not mix quite right. Sometimes out of those little dinky dips. I only have so many and sometimes I want to change the color. So I just pour in the trash can because it's a minimum amounts anyways.

Offline elsa.d

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2015, 11:08:41 PM »
Andy: your posts always crack me up! I'm so pleased you're on the forum!

Brad: for small amounts of ink I always just pour them down the sink. I always make sure the water is running first though otherwise I run the risk of staining the porcelain.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2015, 03:04:14 PM by elsa.d »

Offline thelelmom

• View Profile
    • Instagram
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2015, 06:07:03 AM »
Wow Andy that photo gave me goose bumps! Hahaha. :)

Brad, I agree with Elsa on making sure that water is running when you pour the ink down the sink. And pour it exactly right in the sink hole. But sometimes I try to dilute the ink with more water on a container first before pouring it down the sink.
Ian (ah-yan)
wife. homeschooling mom. wahm. cat woman. lover of pretty things
My Instagram

Offline Milonguera

• View Profile
    • Instagram,  My blog
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2015, 11:50:10 AM »
There are persistent stories about people attempting to flush away Noodler's Baystate Blue, and winding up with a permanently blue sink.  Most other water based inks will probably disperse easily enough, but it does you credit that you're unhappy with the idea of pouring the stuff down the drain willy nilly.

Anyway, it seems a shame just to get rid of it.  Perhaps you could have a go at brush lettering, which looks like a good way to get rid of a lot of ink quickly:

LOL  You're hilarious, Andy. 
Debbie