Author Topic: Preparing Your Nib Properly by Schin!  (Read 51275 times)

Offline lynander

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
Re: Preparing Your Nib Properly by Schin!
« Reply #30 on: January 07, 2015, 10:13:26 PM »
This is amazing! So cute!
instagram @lynander

Offline Afreen Gaffar

• View Profile
    • Instagram
« Reply #31 on: January 14, 2015, 05:37:11 PM »
Schin you are amazing!! Is there anything you cant do? haha!  :D

Are you going to upload the pdf version somewhere ? I would love to take a print out and save it.

Btw since my Bday is coming up I am throwing hints left right an center at hubby to get me a Brian-Schin oblique holder. He finds the holders very fascinating too!!  :D 
Budding Calligrapher,Artist, Engineer, Adventurer... and a bunch of other stuff :-)

Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/afreengaffar/

Offline Pittipat

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 02, 2015, 01:06:26 AM »
Wow, thank you for this!  Not only is it informative, it's also entertaining  ;D Your illustrations are very nice.  I was kind of wondering if it was okay that the oblique holder gets a little ink on it whenever I dip it in, I guess it isn't.

Wife, Mother, Home Baker, Craft Geek, Bluemoon-Blogger, Frustrated singer and Calligraphy Newbie
mommy blog * instagram * twitter

Offline AndyT

• Super Hero Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 02, 2015, 05:14:56 AM »
I was kind of wondering if it was okay that the oblique holder gets a little ink on it whenever I dip it in, I guess it isn't.

Oh, I think you might get away with it once in a while.  ;)

Seriously, it's bound to happen, and how diligent you are about cleaning it off is up to you.  If ink creeps inside a brass flange that usually means that you'll have a struggle getting the nib out, but it's nothing that the studious application of a pair of pliers and a modicum of brute force won't sort out if necessary.

I wouldn't worry about it too much, after all pen holders are tools.  This gallery of well-used holders might be reassuring.

Offline Sarah K

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 16, 2015, 05:17:44 PM »
What a great illustration! I never seem to be able to remove all of the oil from my nib and I was about to start a thread about it. Then I found this, yay! So helpful!  :) I had been trying the tooth paste method to no avail, so I'll attempt using a flame and hopefully I won't harm the nib too terribly.  :o Wish me luck!

Offline adelina

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 20, 2015, 02:05:13 AM »
This is so awesome. Thank you so much! I just bought some new nibs - didn't prepare my previous ones and they got rusty real quick (or maybe I also didn't clean them good enough). Will do this now :)

Offline schin

• Super Hero Member
  • Las Vegas
    • View Profile
    • Openinkstand
« Reply #36 on: February 20, 2015, 02:16:30 PM »
Haha oh man, I'm glad you guys like it! But I think it's due for an update pretty soon :) This was made almost 3 years ago!
OPENINKSTAND // website | blog |instagramyoutube

Offline Chandra

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 20, 2015, 09:55:26 PM »
Haha oh man, I'm glad you guys like it! But I think it's due for an update pretty soon :) This was made almost 3 years ago!

Schin's going to UPPDDATEEE SOOONN ! HOORRAAAAAYYY

« Last Edit: February 20, 2015, 09:57:18 PM by Chandra »

Offline risharoll

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 02, 2015, 11:09:30 PM »
I love the illustrated guide! I'm a visual learner so anything with pictures is 100x more fun. My copperplate instructor told us to just use an eraser. Anyone else been told that?

Offline mescalito2

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 13, 2015, 02:52:28 PM »
Hi ladies (and some few gentleman)  ;)

I found this very insightful for a totally newbie like me, it is perfect for the "before", but I'm wondering what about the "after".

My question is:
After I finish using my nibs, Should I clean with just paper towels with water or no water? should I leave my nib in the flange and do nothing? rinse with alcohol? or should I leave the nib on water until next time I use? I really don't know how to take care of my nibs after I use them.

I receive advice :)

Thanks
Nico

Offline schin

• Super Hero Member
  • Las Vegas
    • View Profile
    • Openinkstand
« Reply #40 on: April 13, 2015, 09:23:43 PM »
Hi ladies (and some few gentleman)  ;)

I found this very insightful for a totally newbie like me, it is perfect for the "before", but I'm wondering what about the "after".

My question is:
After I finish using my nibs, Should I clean with just paper towels with water or no water? should I leave my nib in the flange and do nothing? rinse with alcohol? or should I leave the nib on water until next time I use? I really don't know how to take care of my nibs after I use them.

I receive advice :)

Thanks
Nico

Yes, when you're finished using your nibs, it's a good idea to remove it from the flange and clean it with clean water. Then dry with a paper towel. Never let ink or water dry on your nib. The idea is you don't want the nib to rust or get all gunked up with dried ink, because all that will show when you use it next! You want to keep it fresh and clean and ready for the next use.

Whenever I feel it's writing wonky, I give it a couple swirls in alcohol/windex and it's good to go again.

Offline rosana

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 05, 2015, 12:02:44 AM »
Thank you so much for the cool illustrations! Very helpful for a newbie like myself....I love it!

Offline thelelmom

• View Profile
    • Instagram
« Reply #42 on: May 05, 2015, 05:41:47 AM »
Wow! I love this! Very informative and the illustrations look so fun! Thank you for sharing! :)
Ian (ah-yan)
wife. homeschooling mom. wahm. cat woman. lover of pretty things
My Instagram

Offline Moya

• Super Hero Member
  • all your gold are belong to me
    • View Profile
    • Calligraphy by Moya
« Reply #43 on: May 05, 2015, 07:55:13 PM »
Schin, would you mind if I gave this out to students?  With links to you, of course!  I don't want to reinvent the wheel when you've made such a nice shiny clean wheel already ;D

Offline schin

• Super Hero Member
  • Las Vegas
    • View Profile
    • Openinkstand
« Reply #44 on: May 05, 2015, 11:15:24 PM »
Schin, would you mind if I gave this out to students?  With links to you, of course!  I don't want to reinvent the wheel when you've made such a nice shiny clean wheel already ;D

It would be an honor, but it's such outdated info! Yikes!