Author Topic: Customs  (Read 794 times)

Offline Mark T

• No amount of evidence will ever persuade an idiot.
    • View Profile
Customs
« on: September 12, 2023, 09:17:55 AM »
Hello,

Customs.
Not the type of customs such as the 'custom of rubbing noses' by way of greetings like Maoris do in New Zealand.
Customs as in, 'Customs and Excise'.
Somebody very kindly introduced me to 'John Neal Books'. I spent hours just browsing, and then it happened.
'OOOOOOO, that is so much cheaper than in the UK. I have to have that (Walnut Crystals).'
'OOOOOOO, those nibs are so much cheaper than the UK. I have to have 5 of each of them.'
'OOOOOOO, McAffreys Ink. Look how cheap that is compared to the UK.'
Eventually, I decided to stop. $249.00 and I'm thinking I have a bargain.
So, I happily paid on 30th August 23 and waited to see where the box of goodies were by way of tracker,....
a couple of days in Nashville, then to Palm Beach for a day, Fort Lauderdale then Atlanta before arriving in the UK on the 5th September. Great. I should get it in a couple of days. Nope. Not happening. The parcel has been sat at a depot here in the UK and today, the postman, bless his cotton socks, posted a card through the letterbox informing me that I have to pay 'Customs and Excise' £50.08 for the parcel to be delivered.
$311.00 in total. I don't have the heart to go looking for the same items here in the UK to total up to see how much/if indeed I did/have saved money.
When I was reading what can be charged for and what constitutes C&E, I gave up in the end what with the conniving British government squeezing every last penny out of the guts of everything. Bah,... humbug.;D I wont get caught out again. I'll find a wooden-legged pirate willing to smuggle in an opaque and straight dip pens for me at a cost of a handful of seed for his parrot.
Gripe over!
 ;D :P

« Last Edit: September 14, 2023, 07:35:52 PM by Mark T »
Laughter is definitely the best medicine, but Wolves destroying WBA runs laughter close, and the Yankees winning the World Series is ................ laughter is the best medicine, remember?

Offline TeresaS

• View Profile
Re: Customs
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2023, 12:52:09 PM »
Geez!   
Teresa

Offline KacyBG

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2023, 01:54:37 AM »
Ouch! So sorry! I hope you do find that you've saved some money after all.

Offline Erica McPhee

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • Be brave. Love life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2023, 02:51:33 PM »
Oh my word. That stinks! They always get theirs.  :'(
Warm Regards,
Erica
Lettering & Design Artist
Flourish Forum Shop
Instagram

Offline Mark T

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2023, 03:41:16 PM »
Hello,
I've climbed out of the pram that I threw my toys out of and aimed at the tax man. ;D ;DIf the goods I brought into the UK were clothes or electrical goods, I could understand paying tax, but everything was educational. My education I know, but educational items all the same. :P
Anyway, the parcel will be here Saturday and I'll be writting/practising real hard within 10 minutes of it arriving. My wife, bless her, has been given strict instructions to not disturb, but seeings as she's the boss, I'm not holding out much hope of that happening.
Laying here waiting I can promise is not fun, and it isn't the easiest way to write/practise, but I'm so looking forward to mixing Walnut crystals and trying out my new posh 'straight' nibholder, and 'oblique' nibholder.
Today, tomorrow and Friday I intend to draw lots of pads of paper with 55 degree lines and hopefully my order of HP 32lb and tracing paper will be here so as I can draw up lots of guidelines.
The last time I was this excited, I was waiting to collect my puppy dog, and that was 26 years ago.
Roll on Saturday.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2023, 07:35:20 PM by Mark T »
Laughter is definitely the best medicine, but Wolves destroying WBA runs laughter close, and the Yankees winning the World Series is ................ laughter is the best medicine, remember?

Offline Erica McPhee

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • Be brave. Love life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2023, 08:46:57 PM »
Haha! I’m excited for you! I know you will have so much fun! Looking forward to seeing your newest creations once you receive all the new supplies!
Warm Regards,
Erica
Flourish Forum Shop
Instagram

Offline JanisTX

• Super Hero Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2023, 04:58:26 PM »
I order some calligraphy supplies from someone I “know” from the Forum. She was in Australia. I got hit with a tariff by the US Customs office. I was mighty surprised, & not in a good way!  The government always wants its two pounds of flesh!!

Janis

Offline Erica McPhee

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • Be brave. Love life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2023, 08:09:04 PM »
Oh no @JanisTX ! That is something I never thought about. I cannot get over the prices of mailing packages to Canada and Australia though.  :o
Warm Regards,
Erica
Flourish Forum Shop
Instagram

Offline JanisTX

• Super Hero Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2023, 11:43:40 PM »
It’s nuts to have to pay a tariff on things that I order from outside the US!  WHO is making up these rules?? I live in a country where I pay my taxes. WHY the heck should I have to pay customs for calligraphy supplies? ?  It makes me so mad!!

Offline Mark T

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2023, 11:39:04 AM »
@JanisTX
It isn't fair, is it. Over here, the Tax men and women are on the same par as Traffic Wardens. So low that they could quite easily limbo under a rattlesnake belly.

Since my previous post, I read the 'smallprint' on the card that Royal Mail left. I was left cursing. They had added £8.00 for handling charges. On top of the delivery charges with USPS. Always somebody wanting something for nothing. To cap it off - the parcel was delivered an hour ago. I was excited to smell the walnut crystals. Yummy ;D but there is a downside of sorts. I ordered one straight penholder and one oblique penholder. Two penholders arrived in the parcel, but both are straight penholders. Don't get me wrong - both are really pretty pens, but I really was looking forward to the oblique. I have contacted John Neal's explaining what has happened and asking what the next thing to do is. I'm not looking for something for nothing, but if they wish me to send the penholder back for a replacement, I think it only fair they pay postage for me sending, and them sending an oblique. Sat here typing tho, and the straight brown does look very nice. Oh, what a quandary ;D (I know what I would do, but I think my wife would be, ermmmm, a bit narky) Maybe if I don't tell her ;D ;D
Regards

Offline JanisTX

• Super Hero Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2023, 04:00:28 PM »
Do you want a “fancy” oblique holder? My kids have gifted me several beautiful oblique holders made by people I “know” from here at the Forum. But, I learned how to letter using a plain, little plastic Speedball holder. Guess what I use, if I’m not just showing off? 😃. If you want a plain one, I can pop it in the mail to you!

Offline Erica McPhee

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • Be brave. Love life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2023, 08:41:55 PM »
I thought I was the only one with this kind of luck.  :'( :'( :'(

Two penholders arrived in the parcel, but both are straight penholders.

@JanisTX That is so kind of you. I just love our members!  :-*
Warm Regards,
Erica
Flourish Forum Shop
Instagram

Offline JanisTX

• Super Hero Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2023, 10:17:52 PM »
If you can accept a “plain” plastic Speedball holder, I’ll gladly buy one locally! I have lots of local options!

Janis

Offline Mark T

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 17, 2023, 04:29:20 AM »
Wow!
I've been here two minutes and somebody is willing to do that for me. Goosebumps.
Thank you so, so much for the wonderful offer. I am lost for words (trust me - that happening is as rare as putting a tooth under your pillow for the tooth fairy to deliver a penny, and waking up in the morning to find a full set, top and bottom, of hens teeth instead) ;D
I truly hope not to offend you, but my youngest boy (boy? he's 33) :o has said he will buy me an oblique of my choosing for Christmas (when will he learn - 'anything of my choosing' is asking for trouble. ;D)
I only know of two handmade wooden penholder makers - Mr Smith and Colbycline, so I'm guessing it will be from one from one of those two gentlmen. That said, I would be obliged to find other makers who sell their creations.
Once again - thank you so much for your offer @JanisTX.
Kind regards,
Mark.

Offline Erica McPhee

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • Be brave. Love life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 17, 2023, 12:47:00 PM »
Ask and you shall receive here at Flourish.  ;D

List of Custom Pen Makers
Warm Regards,
Erica