Author Topic: How to make corrections (follow on)  (Read 1418 times)

Offline Ken Fraser

• Super Hero Member
  • Calligrapher
    • View Profile
How to make corrections (follow on)
« on: August 31, 2023, 05:17:14 PM »
Following on from Erica McPhee's  topic "How to make Corrections" from a couple of years ago. I'd  like to suggest this solution.
I've used this simple technique on an important one-off scroll for presentation with success with an invisible repair. 
If the word "year" for example is written by mistake as "yaer" write ea over ae. Allow to dry completely and with a new scalpel blade carefully scape off the parts of the original wrong letters which show. With a soft eraser rub over the new letters. If carefully done, the correction is impossible to detect.
In the example I cited, I was near the conclusion and saved many hours of rewriting with this simple method of correction.   

Offline Erica McPhee

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • Be brave. Love life!
    • View Profile
Re: How to make corrections (follow on)
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2023, 09:00:22 PM »
Excellent tip @Ken Fraser ! I never would have thought to write the proper letters over while still wet but that makes perfect sense. Thank you for sharing!
Warm Regards,
Erica
Lettering & Design Artist
Flourish Forum Shop
Instagram

Offline JanisTX

• Super Hero Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2023, 09:02:40 PM »
Hi, Ken!  I hope that you are well and happy!

I’m going to try this! - Unfortunately I make plenty of mistakes! 😃

Offline Ken Fraser

• Super Hero Member
  • Calligrapher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2023, 03:17:40 AM »
Excellent tip @Ken Fraser ! I never would have thought to write the proper letters over while still wet but that makes perfect sense. Thank you for sharing!
Thanks Erica
However, this only works if the first writing is completely dry. Sorry - I didn't make that clear!
« Last Edit: September 01, 2023, 05:54:36 AM by Ken Fraser »

Offline Despoina

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2023, 03:34:11 AM »
Thank you for the tip! If I got it right, we let the "yaer" dry, we write "ea" on top of "ae" and let it dry. After, we use the blade to "erase" any old letter that is visible?

Offline Ken Fraser

• Super Hero Member
  • Calligrapher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2023, 04:25:02 AM »
Thank you for the tip! If I got it right, we let the "yaer" dry, we write "ea" on top of "ae" and let it dry. After, we use the blade to "erase" any old letter that is visible?
Correct!
In my experience this method is usually very successful. It avoids trying to rewrite on top of erased, scratched paper which is usually disastrous , resulting in ink spread.

Offline AnasaziWrites

• Super Hero Member
  • Ad astra, per aspera
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2023, 09:27:23 AM »
Correct!
In my experience this method is usually very successful. It avoids trying to rewrite on top of erased, scratched paper which is usually disastrous , resulting in ink spread.
@Ken Fraser
I remember when you first posted this correction method some 5-10 years ago, and have used it since then to great effect. Saved many an envelope. I use a new exacto knife for the blade, and a white gum eraser for the erasure part. I also "settle" the erasure part with my fingernail at the end, although an agate burnisher would be better. Need to get one of those.
Anyway, thanks again Ken.

Offline Ken Fraser

• Super Hero Member
  • Calligrapher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2023, 10:12:12 AM »
Correct!
@Ken Fraser
I remember when you first posted this correction method some 5-10 years ago, and have used it since then to great effect. Saved many an envelope. I use a new exacto knife for the blade, and a white gum eraser for the erasure part. I also "settle" the erasure part with my fingernail at the end, although an agate burnisher would be better. Need to get one of those.
Anyway, thanks again Ken.
Thanks, Mike
I'd forgotten all about my earlier post!

Offline brose

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2023, 11:52:27 AM »
I have had success with this on smoother, more vellum like paper, and not so much on softer paper. Are there any extra tricks for corrections on something like Arches Text Wove?

Offline AnasaziWrites

• Super Hero Member
  • Ad astra, per aspera
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2023, 05:34:20 PM »
@Ken Fraser @brose
The post bears repeating, and thank you for it. Your original post appeared on June 30, 2014, reply #16, And I doubt there is anyone still around from that time other than you, me, and Erica, so all the current members will not have seen it.
https://theflourishforum.com/forum/index.php?topic=1064.0
 Brose, you may find something here.

« Last Edit: September 01, 2023, 05:50:26 PM by AnasaziWrites »

Offline Zivio

• Foment Compassion, Practice Peace
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2023, 09:39:10 PM »
Good stuff, right here!  I love non-intuitive hacks, and embracing the original error, in a way, by not trying to eliminate it first is a type of acceptance of what is.  But yeah, making the bad stuff disappear is also appealing.  ;D
Foment Compassion, Practice Peace