Author Topic: My article on John Turner (Turner & Harrison)  (Read 2745 times)

Offline AAAndrew

• Super Hero Member
    • View Profile
    • The Steel Pen Blog
My article on John Turner (Turner & Harrison)
« on: August 01, 2017, 01:22:25 PM »
Wasn't sure if I should put this in show and tell, but it's so modest that I didn't think it would be right. So, here it is.

The latest issue (Summer 2017) of Pentalk, the publication from The Pen Museum in Birmingham, England, contains my short article on John Turner, one of the founders of Turner & Harrison. For those unfamiliar with vintage pens, Turner & Harrison was one of the largest and most successful steel pen makers in the US, second only to Esterbrook. The reason the article is in Pentalk is that John Turner was a Birmingham chap who did his apprenticeship and later worked in the pen works there. He was one of the Birmingham-trained pen makers who Richard Esterbrook brought from Birmingham to the US to found his new company. You can read the rest in the article below.

You can also visit the museum's web site, and if you're ever there, I suggest it as a great way to both enjoy yourself, as well as torment your traveling companions. http://penmuseum.org.uk/

Andrew
Check out my steel pen history blog
https://thesteelpen.com/

Offline sheila247

• View Profile
Re: My article on John Turner (Turner & Harrison)
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2017, 02:05:42 PM »
That is so awesome.  Congratulations!!

Offline Elisabeth_M

• View Profile
    • Instagram
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2017, 09:27:51 AM »
I love these historical articles, thank you so much for sharing them with us!

I actually stumbled upon a mixed lot of pointed pens at an antique store about a year ago.  They were priced for next to nothing, so I figured I had little to lose in buying them.  After seeing the ad attached to your article, I looked at them more closely and I have quite a few of these two styles:

1.  Esterbrook and Co. Falcon Pen 04
2.  L. Isaacs and Co. Glucinum No. 1

Both are the same shape as the Falcon nib in the ad.  If you haven't tried them before @AAAndrew and would like to do so, I would be happy to send you a couple of each.  Send me a PM if you are interested.
Science is a way of thinking much more than it is a body of knowledge.  --Carl Sagan

Instagram

Offline AnasaziWrites

• Super Hero Member
  • Ad astra, per aspera
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2017, 10:11:04 AM »
Wasn't sure if I should put this in show and tell, but it's so modest that I didn't think it would be right. So, here it is.

The latest issue (Summer 2017) of Pentalk, the publication from The Pen Museum in Birmingham, England, contains my short article on John Turner, one of the founders of Turner & Harrison. For those unfamiliar with vintage pens, Turner & Harrison was one of the largest and most successful steel pen makers in the US, second only to Esterbrook. The reason the article is in Pentalk is that John Turner was a Birmingham chap who did his apprenticeship and later worked in the pen works there. He was one of the Birmingham-trained pen makers who Richard Esterbrook brought from Birmingham to the US to found his new company. You can read the rest in the article below.

You can also visit the museum's web site, and if you're ever there, I suggest it as a great way to both enjoy yourself, as well as torment your traveling companions. http://penmuseum.org.uk/

Andrew
@AAAndrew
I can't seem to find this article. Will you post a link directly to it?

Offline AAAndrew

• Super Hero Member
    • View Profile
    • The Steel Pen Blog
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2017, 01:29:36 PM »
I attached the PDF of my article to my original post. I don't think the Pentalk is available online as it is sent directly to members. Just look below the article for a link.

Offline AAAndrew

• Super Hero Member
    • View Profile
    • The Steel Pen Blog
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2017, 01:50:45 PM »
I love these historical articles, thank you so much for sharing them with us!

I actually stumbled upon a mixed lot of pointed pens at an antique store about a year ago.  They were priced for next to nothing, so I figured I had little to lose in buying them.  After seeing the ad attached to your article, I looked at them more closely and I have quite a few of these two styles:

1.  Esterbrook and Co. Falcon Pen 04
2.  L. Isaacs and Co. Glucinum No. 1

Both are the same shape as the Falcon nib in the ad.  If you haven't tried them before @AAAndrew and would like to do so, I would be happy to send you a couple of each.  Send me a PM if you are interested.

The Esterbrook 048 Falcon was the best selling pen in he United States for about 70 years. I can help you roughly date the nib by telling me exactly what the imprint says as Esterbrook changed it over the years. The popularity of this Falcon shape is evident by the fact that everyone had their own model. The origin of the Falcon shape is less clear. Here is an argument to be made that Esterbrook is the first to at least popularize, if not design, this shape. Before it was introduced by Esterbrook you can see some Porto-Falcon shapes, but the Esterbrook is the first to assume the shape that became so famous and popular.

The Leon Isaacs pens were very good quality and were made independently by Leon Isaacs and his partner Michael Voorsanger in Philadelphia. After Leon's death in 1889, Voorsanger and two of Leon's sons carried on until they sold the business to Turner &Harrisn in 1899. The pens were the. Continued to be made and sold under the Leon Isaacs. Are until the firm folded in 1952. Leon Isaacs was my first area of collecting and research, but here's so little known about the company, and I've yet to find nibs I can confirm were made under Leon rather than T&H, though I have some I suspect may be from the era.

Thank you for the offer! That's very kind. I have several hundred 048's, some dating back to the 1870's. I only have a few Leon Isaacs #1's so if you'd be interested in selling a few, PM me.

The more I look into this forgotten chapter in the history of American industry the more interesting tidbits I find. There was the female 19th-century pen manufacturer in Chicago, the mystery of the Pacific Railroad pen, he wacky inventor who developed the Braham's Patent Pen as well as an automatic Cake Mixer. The contests some would run, the lotteries and promotions, are interesting examples of early advertising gimmicks. But because the items made are just not known, and almost all of the companies are gone, here's no one studying or recording this forgotton world.

Offline Penda

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2017, 10:13:50 AM »

Andrew

Thanks so much. I really enjoyed reading your piece. I'd go look in the censuses myself, but am guessing that Birmingham had a lot of John Turners.  But am curious as I lived in Brum for nearly 20 years, and for some of that in an area where there had been a lot of nail/chain making industry in the early 19thC.  Do you know whereabouts in Birmingham he grew up?

Am hoping to have a nostalgia trip back to Brum, soon. We were very happy there. So I might well go to the pen museum, if I can talk my family into it (or maybe they can dump me there for an hour or two?)

Offline AAAndrew

• Super Hero Member
    • View Profile
    • The Steel Pen Blog
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2017, 01:03:08 PM »
I'm glad you enjoyed it. I don't have access to the British census and genealogy info, just the US side. If someone could find out more about his time in Birmingham, I'd love to find out more. He was apprenticed at an early age, so he kind of grew up in the jewelry district where the pen manufacturers were. Where he was before that, I don't know.

What I do know:
  • Born in Birmingham about 1823/1824
  • Apprenticed to Gillott about 1836
  • After his apprenticeship he went to France for a short period to learn from the manufacturers there (maybe 1841/42-ish for a year to two?)
  • In 11th of February, 1849 his daughter was born in Birmingham, so he was back and married to his wife Eliza by that time.
  • On the 15th of August 1860 he arrived in New York on the Persia, brought by Richard Esterbrook to help found Esterbrook Steel Pen Co.

If any of our British members know how to access the records for the area, that would be great. I would love to fill in with any details that are possible.

Andrew

Offline Penda

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2017, 04:36:31 PM »
OK Andrew, Challenge accepted!

I write for magazines here in the UK, including a genealogy one - I know from experience "John Turner" is not a fun name to trace in the 19thC censuses!

And I was being lazy, hoping you knew the answer.  So I went to look just now.

Civil registration of births marriages and deaths only started in 1837 so Turner is born too early for us to be certain which John Turner born in roughly 1821-24, he may be.  There are a lot of John Turners.  But I think he is the one born to John and Ann Turner, born 7/7/1823 at Fordrough St, Bham, son of John and Ann, John a "Pearl Button Turner", christened on 18/8/1823 at St Philip's.  Fordrough St was apparently, right in the town centre - Aston, I think (no longer there?)

The first UK Census was 1841.  I think I found him if he is John Turner, son of John and Ann Turner - pearl workers, Newhall St. (Bham city centre).  St Paul's, enumeration district 7.  The address appears to be "courts" or tenements. John's age is given as 18.   Interestingly he is on the page of the census after "John Mitchell, Steel Pen Maker" who lives with a large family and several servants, also on Newhall St (and clearly not in a tenement!)  They live a few doors down from eachother on a very populous and rather mixed looking street. I'd be surprised in Turner didn't work for Mitchell at this point (1841) - he's much closer than Gillott.  There are steel pen workers down the street - almost all women.

Also I see online that John Mitchells produced Esterbrooks in the UK... On Newhall St.  So I suspect Turner has links with Mitchell.

I did find the wedding certificate of a John Turner and Eliza Ward - from 5 years after the census - that are likely to be our targets. His job is "Toolmaker" and his father was also John Turner, a "Pearl-button maker".  At time of marriage John lived on Coleshill St.  Eliza Ward was from Garrison Lane and her father was Collingwood  Ward, "A Gilt Toy-maker".  They both can sign their names. They marry 26.10.1846.  Coleshill St is according to Get Directions, a 23 minute walk to Graham St, where Gillott had his factory. Although maybe Turner was working elsewhere, by 1846.

The John and Eliza Turner of roughly the right age I pulled up for Bham in the 1851 census - were not them.  (I'd already seen this couple's marriage certificate - different occupations although he worked with metal, too).  I can't find our's at all on the 1851 census - it could be they are travelling - maybe back to France - or just been so badly mistranscribed they are hard to find (This does happen occasionally).   They could just be in another city or town but so many John Turners it might take a very long search to find them!  It's possible with his skills he was somewhere else in the Black Country (other counties around Birmingham that were the epicentre of metalwork in the 19thC - so much so, the hills and buildings turned black from pollution of the coal fires).

In other words: I can't yet find him in 1851.

Contrast him to Joseph Gillot who is very easy to find  - distinctive name.  On the 1841 Census he is living in posh Edgbaston on the Hagley Rd (very fancy, large Georgian houses - I know this place well as I went to university near here, and even lived for a while in a student halls of residence named after Josiah Mason!)

Enumerator's handwriting not exactly Copperplate!  But I think Gillott is described as "Steel Penmaker" or it might be a contraction for Manufacturer".  His neighbours are veterinary surgeons and merchants.  Totally different world to central Birmingham, and Newhall St!   We know Gillot and his wife, Maria are not from Warwickshire with the simple "N" for whether born in county or not.  He has three servants.

1851, the Gillots are still in Edgbaston, but on Westbourne Rd. This enumerator has better handwriting as I can see that he is "Steel Pen Mfr".  Joseph and his wife are from Sheffield here in Yorkshire.  The Gilotts are very easy to find - Turners, not so much.  By the 20thC, Bham would be England's second city so it is always going to be needle in haystack finding someone with this name, born pre registration!

I can't be confident the John and Eliza I found are our ones...  I thought they'd be more easily findable by looking for Rosina as it's an unusual name even for the date, but drew a blank entirely on her.  I found a number of John Turners born in Birmingham around the right dates but couldn't be sure which was him, if any.  If he was a Non Conformist, those records exist but can be patchy. Looking for someone born around these dates, just before birth registration, your best bet is to hope the older generation live with the younger - then you can find them and trace back further.  Although I think I struck lucky with the marriage cert from 1846.

I looked on Ancestry, the IGI and Free BMD for Rosina and could no-one of that name born in 1847.  This is after civil registration came in so it is inexplicable. As for 1851 UK Census - she isn't there, either.  In other words - you draw a blank in all the usual places, for Rosina.  Added to the fact I can't find her or her parents in 1851.

I have a number of ancestors/relatives who emigrated to the US and sent for family later - leaving them behind in the UK til they found their feet, abroad.  So I thought maybe Rosina stayed behind. There are several Rosina Turners born in Bham (later) in 1853/4 but I checked them out on the 61 census (after our Turners are in the US) and found them with different families, different areas of the city and not recorded as say "Grand-daughter" or "niece" therefore not our girl.  According to US records (which I can't access but can see a little of) her birthdate was given when she died as February 1847.  Which would put her earlier than all the unrelated Brum Rosinas I found.

It's possible she was adopted from a relative before they left England?  The Turners may also just be there on the census but mistranscribed, as often happens, so a search doesn't easily pull them up.  Sometimes if I go  look another day, I find the person.  Searches aren't reliable.

I'm not finding them on Passenger lists but I only have UK Ancestry and they are possibly on the US side of Ancestry.  I'll keep looking sideways for 1851. Often I find someone with a relative.  But it's possible they were abroad for a while.

I only discovered they were on the same st as Michell because I always find my target then search surrounding areas for relatives/links and to get a feel for the area (from people's given occupations).

« Last Edit: August 27, 2017, 06:33:04 PM by Penda »

Offline AAAndrew

• Super Hero Member
    • View Profile
    • The Steel Pen Blog
« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2017, 10:00:23 AM »
Wow! What amazing research! I think you've found our man. "Toolmaker" could very well be his profession as those are the folks Esterbrook needed to bring to the US. You can train anyone to stamp out pens, but for that you need the tools and presses. John was always a very "shop floor" oriented fellow with great respect for the need for quality workmanship, and treating his employees well. The Toolmaker was a very highly skilled position in a manufactury.  They kept the machines running and made new ones as new products were produced or new processes implemented.

By 1841 Mitchell and Gillott were raking in the money, so no surprise they were starting to live well. It's interesting the mixed street with pen factory workers and owners on the same street. And also no surprise for the women workers. Most of the manufacturing of steel pens, with the exception of the heat treating and polishing work, was done by women. It was considered a good job, mostly clean, out of the elements and not too many men around to corrupt the atmosphere.  ;D

It may be that you didn't find Rosina since she was born in 1849 and if they moved somewhere else (for the 1851 census) she may be harder to find.

Thanks so much for this addition to the history of John Turner. I think you've hit on some important information and I appreciate your sharing.

Offline Penda

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2017, 04:38:02 PM »
Yes, I originally looked for Rosina with that birthdate but then saw online someone had her with 1847 - but my searches would have pulled up either.

Total mystery as there is no-one I can yet find, registered with that name, in 1847-9.  Have seen enough 19thC genealogy to be aware very many people kindly adopted family members when children were orphaned or maybe their family couldn't afford to raise them. And it might just be this - going to a new life in the New World, the Turners wanted to share their good fortune!  But I think it's more likely Rosina has fallen between the cracks, for now, in terms of the usual UK sources - and may show up later...

There are so many John Turners it's impossible to trawl them all in one go, too and so they could be visiting relatives or somewhere else entirely in the UK, or Europe, or travelling on census night.  (Census was done on a certain night, as a snapshot - and I have on occasion found people unrecorded because they're between places). I will continue to look though.  I wonder if John re-visited the place in France he went, in the 1840s?   If I found the right man (and I'm not sure I have), he's in Brum in 1846, at least!   And around in 1841.  (I forget exactly when it is but census was usually March/April, I think).

Thank you for writing such an interesting article. It has made me want to get some more vintage Birmingham made nibs!  I didn't realise Perry's were made by Josiah Mason, so as I have a tenuous link with him (my old university halls), I will definitely look out for them! Looking forward to reading more of your work, Andrew, and if you need some research done UK-side, let me know and I will do my best - however bad - to help.  We had a very nostalgic time yesterday trying to recall Newhall St, etc!

Offline AAAndrew

• Super Hero Member
    • View Profile
    • The Steel Pen Blog
« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2017, 05:31:10 PM »
Thank you, Penda. I may well take you up on the offer. His son-in-law (Rosina's husband) George Malpass was also born in England but seems to have come to the US at a much earlier age. If I get around to tracing his antecedents I'll let you know. At least I think I have his parents' names: George and Emily (Gane) Malpass, arrived here in the US in 1850.

George Jr. was born 3 May 1846, (not sure where in England) and in 1869, aged 23, he married Rosina Turner and moved in with his in-laws. At this point John Turner was running Warrington and Malpass was one of the machinists there. Between 1870 and 1875 he left Warrington and started his own pen company. George Malpass Pens with its Keystone Pen Works was in existence until 1897 when George Harrison died and old Father-in-Law brought George in to run the company.

Anyway, I can go on and on.

Have you heard of the book <i>People, Pens and Production in Birmingham's Steel Pen Trade</i>? While I would have preferred a more cohesive history, it does have a series of articles which give some quite interesting looks into the time, place and people involved. Having lived there, you may find it particularly meaningful.
http://historywm.com/people-pens-and-production-in-birminghams-steel-pen-trade/

Thanks again, and cheers!
Anrew

Offline Penda

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 29, 2017, 04:57:21 AM »
Thanks again and I will read that. Malpass should be an easy name to trace, so will have a quick look and get back to you. Who is Warrington?  is that another Brit abroad, or someone born in the US? Just curious as it is one of my family names!

Offline AAAndrew

• Super Hero Member
    • View Profile
    • The Steel Pen Blog
« Reply #13 on: August 29, 2017, 08:38:22 AM »
Warrington was one of the early pen manufacturers in the US. Basically, John Turner worked for Esterbrook from 1860 to 1865. In 1865 he was invited to head up a new pen manufacturer called Warrington and Co. in Philadelphia at 12th and Buttonwood Street. The fact that the early history talks about being invited leads me to believe there were money men behind the company, but they needed someone who knew the business and how to start up a pen company to lead it.

During his tenure there, Warrington ran into a few problems, mainly the factory kept catching fire due to accidents in neighbors or other tenants in the building. There was a fire in 1869 and another in 1873. They were insured, but losses exceeded the insurance by tens-of-thousands of dollars each time. It was most likely after the last fire that the decision was made by the investors to liquidate.

In 1875 he and George Harrison took over the company, reorganized and formed Turner & Harrison's. (in 1878 they dropped the " 's")

Later (by 1878) another company popped up trying to ride on the reputation of Warrington. They called themselves Warrington Steel Pen Works, headed by Theo L. Warrington. They advertised periodically for a few years but eventually faded.

George Harrison is another interesting figure about which I know very little. He and a partner George Bradford bought out the first really successful firm in the US, the Washington Medallion Pen Co., somewhere around 1856 or so. In 1857 a great article on how steel pens were made was published in United States Magazine about the Washington Medallion Pen Co. https://books.google.com/books?id=x6HPAAAAMAAJ&lpg=PA352&ots=IRSLVkodJ9&dq=Washington%20Medallion%20Pen%20company%20patent&pg=PA348#v=onepage&q=Washington%20Medallion%20Pen%20company%20patent&f=false

The Georges bought out Washington Medallion in 1861 and formed Harrison and Bradford, located at 75 John St. in NYC. In 1875 Harrison split off to join Turner & Harrison and Bradford first tried his hand at going solo with George Bradford Steel Pens from about 1880-1882, then he ended up joining the very successful Miller Brothers Cutlery Co. to start up their steel pen division which lasted for a number of years.

It has been a chore to trace all of these companies and relationships since very little is written about them. It's mostly advertisements that help me figure out who and where and when for some of the smaller or shorter-lived companies. I had to make a flow chart as a aid for my memory. It's not quite accurate anymore in some specifics (Turner & Harrison were founded in 1875, not 1876, for example) but it's still true in the general.