Author Topic: "He never knew a doctor or a lawyer who could tell a good pen."  (Read 684 times)

Offline AAAndrew

• Super Hero Member
    • View Profile
    • The Steel Pen Blog
"He never knew a doctor or a lawyer who could tell a good pen."
« on: September 28, 2017, 01:52:20 PM »
While doing some research I came upon the proceedings of the Brooklyn, NY school board as published in "The Brooklyn Daily Eagle,"  09 Feb 1876, Wed,  Page 3.

This particular meeting was regarding ordering supplies and creating the "schedules" to be given to vendors of the various articles needed in the schools.

Pay particular attention to the last line, from whence I found the title. I suspect the small sentence "The question was discussed at some length" may well be a rather laconic way of expressing a donnybrook just short of fisticuffs. 

Committees have ever been thus. 

;D
Check out my steel pen history blog
https://thesteelpen.com/

Offline AnasaziWrites

• Super Hero Member
  • Ad astra, per aspera
    • View Profile
Re: "He never knew a doctor or a lawyer who could tell a good pen."
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2017, 03:40:48 PM »
The real mystery is for what are they using all that twine. Tying the students to the desks maybe?

Offline JanisTX

• Super Hero Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2017, 09:28:58 PM »
As a lawyer who knows a good pen when she sees one, I  take great offense at this commentary!!  Just provide good pens & civil unrest can be avoided!!

Offline AAAndrew

• Super Hero Member
    • View Profile
    • The Steel Pen Blog
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2017, 10:06:16 PM »
With just a little more research it seems like Huntley was a defense lawyer, so perhaps he may know of which he speaks.  ;D

Actually, if you look at the lawyers quills, barrister pens, etc. common at the time, they were not the best quality, at least compared to fine pens.  :)

Check out my steel pen history blog
https://thesteelpen.com/