Author Topic: Gillott Principality clone nibs  (Read 1242 times)

Offline callmanishsoni

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
Gillott Principality clone nibs
« on: February 27, 2021, 04:51:01 AM »
The most sought after “Dream nib”- nib for ornamental penmanship is (Vintage) Gillott Principality or Zanerian Fune writer. Currently they are not manufactured. Brian Walker took initiative and Dr Joe Vitolo and other helped to produce  leonadt EF Principal around 15 years back in  modern times. 
    All these nibs have a common shape of the nib hole. Which looks like three pointed weapon.  :D
This hole gives flexibility to the nib in comparison to other plain oval hole.

Gillott principality and Zanerian finewriter kind of similar vintage nibs were produced. I was curious and try to collect such rare to find vintage nibs. It took me 17 years to collect the following seven such clones. All are vintage.

1. Gillott Principality
2. Zanerian Fine Writer
3. Spencerian 14
4. Palmer Artistic
5. MEUBS Professional
6. Tamblyn 7
8. Hunt Imperial Vintage 101

No one has seen Spencerian 14 nib out side of any Spencerian nib card since last 40-50 years. And no one has heard or seen any advertisement or picture of MEUBS Professional nib so far in any vintage penmanship magazine or elsewhere. These two nibs surfaced in this pandemic.

Gillott principality #1 and Zanerian finewriter can be found occasionally on eBay or Etsy store.

I thought let me share these our heritage with you all. If I have written any mistakes I am sorry. Feel free to correct it. Or any add any historical information for all of us.
Note: these are not for sale.

Offline Erica McPhee

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • Be brave. Love life!
    • View Profile
Re: Gillott Principality clone nibs
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2021, 12:15:45 PM »
This is fascinating! Thank you so much for sharing. I did not realize the Vintage Hunt 101s were so rare.  :)
Warm Regards,
Erica
Lettering & Design Artist
Flourish Forum Shop
Instagram

Offline AnasaziWrites

• Super Hero Member
  • Ad astra, per aspera
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2021, 10:08:08 PM »
No one has seen Spencerian 14 nib out side of any Spencerian nib card since last 40-50 years.
@callmanishsoni
Perhaps you would find this thread of interest:
https://theflourishforum.com/forum/index.php?topic=2754.msg39163#msg39163
Although I have given away many of them, I still have about 20 of the Spencerian 14's, which have also appeared on eBay in the last few months.
The Hunt 101 is not considered a clone of the Principality (note the lack of cross grinding and slightly dissimilar hole). Not that uncommon nor of equal quality.

Offline AnasaziWrites

• Super Hero Member
  • Ad astra, per aspera
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2021, 06:22:38 PM »
@callmanishsoni
For those who have an interest in such arcane things, the MEUBS clone refers to Albert. P. Meub, Director of Penmanship of the Pasadena High School in the 1920's, and who advertised his services and supplies in the American Penman and Business Educator in the 1920's and 1930's.

All the clones were made by the same company, and if you paid a little extra (or placed a large order, perhaps), you could get the imprint you wanted on the nib. Schools  and other "manufacturers" did this frequently.

Here's a picture of him, an example of his work, and one of his ads (1936 American Penman).

« Last Edit: March 01, 2021, 10:34:02 AM by AnasaziWrites »

Offline Inked botanicals

• View Profile
    • My Instagram
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2021, 04:21:08 PM »
So, being clones means that they all perform equally?

I have so many different nibs with similar shapes but with totally different performance that I have learnt not to trust shape.
Alba.

Instagram: @inked_botanicals

Offline Erica McPhee

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • Be brave. Love life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2021, 04:48:49 PM »
Oh I am in love with how he wrote, "Dear Platz" !!!!  :-*
Warm Regards,
Erica
Lettering & Design Artist
Flourish Forum Shop
Instagram

Offline AnasaziWrites

• Super Hero Member
  • Ad astra, per aspera
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2021, 10:08:31 PM »
So, being clones means that they all perform equally?

Not as I understand it, noting I'm no expert in the matter. Clones are the same nib by the same manufacturer with differing imprints--they all perform the same because the are, essentially, the same nib. The Hunt 101 might be considered an imitation, different maker, different steel, similar appearance, but not in any way similar performance.

I have so many different nibs with similar shapes but with totally different performance that I have learnt not to trust shape.
This is wise. Similar shape does not guarantee similar performance. The modern Leonardt Principal is a perfect example. Nice try, though.