Author Topic: Hello  (Read 913 times)

Offline Matthew H.

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
Hello
« on: August 08, 2021, 11:29:18 AM »
Hello everyone,

I’m Matthew and I live near Manchester in the UK.

I first came across calligraphy as a child. At school, we’d been asked to complete a project on the Tudors, and I think it was my mum who suggested that I try learning calligraphy to decorate my work. My parents bought me a Parker calligraphy fountain pen set and I tried to teach myself using the instruction booklet included with the set. So began a lifelong love of blackletter! I can’t recall following the stroke-order diagrams, and I’m not sure that I even learnt all of the letters, but it was something that I loved doing.

Over the years, I’d occasionally find my calligraphy pen, spend a happy half hour trying it out again, and then, inexplicably, forget all about it.

In 2019, I was going through a difficult period and wasn’t able to take part in my usual hobbies. Although I wouldn’t want to repeat that time, I can’t help but be grateful for it in some ways: it forced me to look at what else I could do. I realised that I had the perfect opportunity to learn calligraphy again – and properly this time. Since then, I’ve been taking correspondence courses with a wonderful teacher. It’s made me happier than I could have imagined. (And, though I perhaps shouldn’t admit this, it’s allowed me to indulge my love of stationery a little, too. My favourite part of any school year was choosing new pens and pencils each September.)

I’ve now learnt the basics of uncial and am currently working on italic. I’ve enjoyed exploring modern calligraphy, too. And I hope I might one day make it back to blackletter – and that I’ll learn to follow the stroke-order diagrams this time!

Thank you for having me on the forum. I’m excited to be a member and look forward to getting to know everyone.

Offline Erica McPhee

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • Be brave. Love life!
    • View Profile
Re: Hello
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2021, 02:55:38 PM »
Hi Matthew,
Thanks for introducing yourself. I enjoyed reading about your calligraphy journey. Any lover of stationery - I call friend.  ;D

When you're ready for something new, you may want to try Gothicized Italic taught by Nina Tran (@anintran on Insta). She is a great teacher and it's a very versatile script.

Glad you joined us. Welcome to Flourish!  :-*
Warm Regards,
Erica
Lettering & Design Artist
Flourish Forum Shop
Instagram

Offline FlowerCityLetters

• View Profile
    • Flower City Letters
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2021, 09:32:42 AM »
Welcome, Matthew!

I'm sorry to hear about your difficult period, but am glad it brought you back to calligraphy. I'm also glad to hear it's bringing you happiness :); you've found the perfect place on the internet with kindred spirits.

Offline Matthew H.

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2021, 04:56:07 PM »
Hi Matthew,
Thanks for introducing yourself. I enjoyed reading about your calligraphy journey. Any lover of stationery - I call friend.  ;D

When you're ready for something new, you may want to try Gothicized Italic taught by Nina Tran (@anintran on Insta). She is a great teacher and it's a very versatile script.

Glad you joined us. Welcome to Flourish!  :-*

Hi Erica,

Thanks for your warm welcome and kind words.

I’m grateful for you recommending Nina Tran’s gothicised italic – I hadn’t come across it before. It’s amazing! Thank you.

Offline Matthew H.

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2021, 04:57:09 PM »
Welcome, Matthew!

I'm sorry to hear about your difficult period, but am glad it brought you back to calligraphy. I'm also glad to hear it's bringing you happiness :); you've found the perfect place on the internet with kindred spirits.

Hi Elaina,

Thank you for your really kind words and welcome. Whenever I’ve dropped in on the forum, it’s always seemed such a friendly place!

Offline Zivio

• Foment Compassion, Practice Peace
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2021, 08:38:51 PM »
Greetings, Matthew!  I very much enjoy hearing about people who have found great happiness in things they've found to do!  I cannot help to notice that you have a keyboard as your avatar ... musician and calligrapher?  I am trying to balance penmanship and music myself.   Wishing you many more joys in life, my Flourish Forum brother!
Foment Compassion, Practice Peace

Offline Aries M

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2021, 06:57:09 PM »
Welcome Matthew! And hello from across the pond 😂😂 I fond board edge to be a little more intimidating that pointed pen. Now that you've tried both what do you think?  :)

-Aries