Author Topic: Copperplate progress  (Read 2916 times)

Offline markc1975

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
Copperplate progress
« on: December 31, 2017, 09:12:16 AM »
I was lucky enough to get a proper oblique holder for Xmas.  I bought myself a selection of nibs to try, and some different inks.  I haven't been practising for very long, but thought I'd post my progress.  I take pictures of my practise sheets as I go along.

The first is after 2 weeks, 4B pencil on standard white laser paper.

The second is after 5 weeks.  It's a Hunt 101 nib using Walkers Iron Gall ink on Rhodia Ivory paper.  I left all my mistakes in, mostly due to my children distracting me!

I have found that good materials make a massive difference to my practise.  I also bought a Leonardt Pricipal nib and a Brause Rose to try.

Many thanks,

Mark

Offline JanisTX

• Super Hero Member
    • View Profile
Re: Copperplate progress
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2017, 01:33:59 PM »
That is really good progress!  Isn't it amazing how much difference it makes when you have the right tools?  I was afraid to try an oblique holder with nibs when I first was learning.  I bought many (often expensive) calligraphy pens & could not make any good thick or thin lines.  When I finally bit the bullet & bought an oblique holder & various nibs, I could finally see proper Copperplate flowing from my writing!  What a relief! 

What nibs have you tried?  I particularly fond of the Brause EF66, but I also like Leonardt Principal EF. 

Good luck with your calligraphy progress!

Janis

Offline markc1975

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2017, 02:01:30 PM »
Hi Janis,

Thanks for your kind comments.  I write the same Pulp Fiction quote out every week or so, and take pictures of my progress, as I find it a good way of monitoring my progress, and also what I need to work on.  I write in my Rhodia pad without guidelines as I don't want to get overly reliant on them in the future.  I'll be happy if I can produce Copperplate without a slant line guide!

I have tried the Brause Rose, but I like the Leonardt Principal EF.  I am using the Hunt 101 at the moment.  I have some Nikko G, however I find they catch on the upstrokes a lot, and you have to press quite hard to get thick lines.

To save having to re-adjust the flange on my oblique holder I am sticking with the 101 in this one, and will buy another holder for my Leonardt nibs.

Watch this space, I'll post another pic in a few weeks!

Offline JanisTX

• Super Hero Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2018, 11:34:55 AM »
@markc1975 Give the Brause EF66 a try!  It is a super responsive nib & will give you beautiful thicks & thins with very little effort!  It's not too bad about catching on upstrokes, either!  I don't care for the Nikko G, for the same reason as you stated!  I'm in the process of conquering Spencerian & the Brause EF66 is way to responsive for that hand, so I am branching out & trying to find less responsive, but reliable, nibs.  But for Copperplate, the Brause is my all-time favorite!

Happy New Year!

Janis

Offline markc1975

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2018, 12:12:13 PM »
@JanisTX I just checked the nibs I bought, and I have a Brause 66EF nib.  I haven't tried it yet, it won't fit in my oblique holder as it's a lot smaller than the 101 and Leonardt Principal.

Do you have any recommendations, or is it worth just buying another pen holder specifically for the smaller sized nibs?

Spencerian is next for me, once I have Copperplate at a good standard.

:)

Offline JanisTX

• Super Hero Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2018, 07:14:36 PM »
@markc1975 What kind of oblique holder do you have?  If it's the plastic Speedball one, it will fit the Brause nib!  I use one all the time!  In fairness, I have heard others say that they can't get the Brause to fit into the Speedball holder, but I've never known what they are talking about!  It always works just fine for me! 

John Neal Bookseller has oblique holders that are specifically designed & adjusted for various nibs.  They are differentiated by a little colored dot from what I suppose is a Sharpie.  I can never remember which color is for which nib, so I have to navigate to the website & look for the color designations.  They are not terribly expensive nib holders & I've never had a problem with one of them!

Yes, the Brause is quite small!  But, it's terrifically responsive!  Paper Ink Arts has a special on the Brause. - If you order a box of 50, you get a discounted price.  I always buy 50 & when one starts catching on the upstrokes, I just toss it. 

I hope that you like the Brause nib!

Janis

Offline markc1975

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2018, 03:37:39 AM »
Hi Janis,

I have a wooden oblique holder with a standard metal flange.  I had to bend it a bit to take the Hunt 101, so would rather get a new holder, put the Brause 66EF, and then leave it set for that nib size.  I'll do the same for the Leonardt Principal as well, so I don't have to keep adjusting the holders.

Thanks for the links, but I'm in the UK, so shipping can be costly from those places.  I'll have a look on Etsy and Scribblers for holders as there's some good ones available.

The next time I write my practise piece, it will be with the 66EF!

:) Mark

ash0kgiri

« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2018, 06:11:46 AM »
Hi Mark,

Sorry for jumping in late, your progress is so amazing to see. And repeating the same quote over the period of time is a good idea to compare your progress. I used to do the same.
So eventually you should have lots of fun and thats what you are doing. Along with it I would recommend you to dedicate a small amount of time in learning the letter forms and making them perfect.
You can follow an exemplar to start with. Focused study will help build muscle memory and perfect each letter forms. Try and practice on bigger 'x' height so that the mistakes are easily visible which can be later corrected.
Work with guidelines to maintain the necessary slant. Try to lift your pen after each stroke for more consistency and accuracy. Last but not the least have lots of fun.

Keep writing,
-Ashok

Offline Erica McPhee

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • Be brave. Love life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2018, 09:16:45 AM »
Beautiful work! Very impressive progress! Thank you for sharing!
Warm Regards,
Erica
Lettering & Design Artist
Flourish Forum Shop
Instagram