Author Topic: Archival Ink for Digital Printing?  (Read 3346 times)

Offline katianaval

• View Profile
Archival Ink for Digital Printing?
« on: January 02, 2014, 04:55:04 AM »
Hi everyone. I've started to get some digital (with and without calligraphy) artworks ready for printing into wall art (8x10in max) lately, and just last week I printed one out from a Kodak shop. I blankly chose a matte finish and framed it, sold it to a friend.

The following day I realized I had not taken into consideration how long the print will last. I immediately Googled archival papers, printers and archival inks (HP Vivera and Epson Ultrachrome). I'm quite lost on which printers you can use these types of inks, and if at all affordable for a small home business.  Do you have recommendation for these?

Another angle I am looking at is--am I stressing too much about it? How do you print your digitized work for display? I think I have read that some use InkJet printers--will it not fade in, say, 10 years? I'm only concerned because I wouldn't want someone throw my work back at me after 3 years and complain that it faded--> money lost.

I can't remember how long ago I last printed on photo paper so I can't remember how long these prints last. Thanks for input!
Katia | Manila, Philippines
Instagram: thedesignhobbyist

Offline Lori M

• Calligraphy will prevail!
    • View Profile
Re: Archival Ink for Digital Printing?
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2014, 03:45:30 AM »
I have the predecessor to the Epson R2000:  http://www.epson.com/cgi-bin/Store/jsp/Product.do?BV_UseBVCookie=yes&sku=C11CB35201. I was also concerned about print longevity, which was the main reason I got it. It's pricey and guzzles ink when you clean the heads, but I've always been happy with the quality. Mine has lasted me for over 5 years now.

If you get an Epson printer, try not to leave it on when you're not using it. They don't "park" the heads, which causes the heads to clog, which causes you clean them more (and therefore use more ink).

Offline katianaval

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2014, 05:14:13 AM »
Thanks, Lori! I assume you use the archival inks that they have? Are there any other models that I can use archival inks with?

Offline Linda Y.

• Super Hero Member
  • Calligra-ninja
    • View Profile
    • my instagram
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2014, 12:05:13 PM »
In my line of work, I often have to make archival photo prints. The printer we use is the Epson Stylus Photo R2880 with the UltraChrome K3 inks which are supposed to last 100+ years. It's definitely NOT budget-friendly as Lori has said - but the prints come out SO beautifully. The printer is approximately $600 USD, and each cartridge (and there are 8 of them) costs about $13.50 USD each.

If you're not making museum-quality prints, I personally think it's okay to use more budget-friendly printers. :) I just looked at the Epson Artisan (about $300 USD) and it sounds like it'd be good for home-use. The Espon site says the Claria ink prints "last up to four times longer than photo lab prints." It prints wide-format too! Up to 13"x19".
« Last Edit: January 09, 2014, 12:10:15 PM by Linda Y. »

Offline Lori M

• Calligraphy will prevail!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2014, 07:55:09 PM »
I agree with Linda that the Epson Claria inks sound like a good option. Four times longer than photo lab prints is pretty long.

I've never tried any inks besides the UltraChrome in my printer -- I doubt any other cartridges would fit!

Offline katianaval

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2014, 08:45:23 AM »
Thanks Linda. I will have to look for those here. It's becoming so expensive looking for professional print shops here in the Philippines so I'm seriously considering just printing my own work.