Author Topic: Gilliot 303 "skipping" and getting stuck in paper  (Read 3345 times)

Offline MICHELA

• Freshman Member
  • Globe trotter graphic designer ✈✎
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
Gilliot 303 "skipping" and getting stuck in paper
« on: January 07, 2014, 09:13:51 AM »
Hello everybody! I have a nib problem...(or is it?!)

I bought a couple of Gilliot 303 nibs and I was so looking forward to seeing those high contrast lines...but then kkkrrrrr the nib got stuck in the paper on most upward strokes. I thought it was a paper problem, so I changed the paper, but again it got stuck, "skipping" on the paper, making an ink mess whenever I make an upward movement.
I thought there was a problem with the nib, so I tried the second one, but no, same result. Even on some smooth Rhodia sheets, same thing happens.

Let's assume the nibs have no fault and the paper is perfectly smooth, does that problem derive from the angle of the nib on the paper? Do I have to adjust my arm and slant? I have nearly zero problems with other "fine" nibs (Gilliot 404, Hunt extra fine 22)

Am I the only one having this problem?

Cheers!

Offline Erica McPhee

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • Be brave. Love life!
    • View Profile
Re: Gilliot 303 "skipping" and getting stuck in paper
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2014, 09:58:17 AM »
Good morning!

No, you aren't the only one. The older nibs are notoriously more finicky. It could be the lot the nibs came from or it could just be that style of nib overall. I find 303s to require a much lighter touch. And they do snag more.

In fact, even though nibs like Hunt 22s and 56s and 101s, etc. used to be my stand-bys, I don't use them all too often now with the Nikko Gs, Zebras, and Hiro 41. When I do go back to them, I remember I liked the lines they produced! And then I remember how much trickier they are to master!
Warm Regards,
Erica
Lettering & Design Artist
Flourish Forum Shop
Instagram

Offline MICHELA

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2014, 01:10:46 PM »
Thank you Erica for your reply! I will try to stay away from it for a while and explore different nibs.
However, I find the Nikko G and Zebra nibs to be kinda hard, I can't create nice contrasts.

Is it maybe because I only used them twice? Do they get more flexible with usage?? I wonder..

Offline Linda Y.

• Super Hero Member
  • Calligra-ninja
    • View Profile
    • my instagram
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2014, 04:47:52 PM »
Michaela, it sounds like you might have a softer hand then, if you find the G nibs more stiff (and they are). Have you tried Brause EF66? I find it really nice & "soft" yet doesn't catch as much.

Offline Emily

• View Profile
    • Emily V Fitzpatrick Designs
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2014, 06:48:57 PM »
I like the Brause EF66 as well, it's pretty flexible. I find that with the pressure I use, though, I get much finer lines with the Nikko G. You'll find the right one for you!
instagram  •  website  •  facebook

Offline Erica McPhee

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • Be brave. Love life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2014, 01:53:30 AM »
Yes, they "prime" up a bit after some use. I find with the Nikko's there is a "sweet spot" which occurs after using the for a bit. But then sadly, they burn out!  :(  :D

I find them sharper as well so do take more pressure to make the variance in thicks and thins.
Warm Regards,
Erica
Lettering & Design Artist
Flourish Forum Shop
Instagram

Offline MICHELA

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2014, 03:00:40 AM »
Thank you everybody for  the tips! Will get my hand on a Brause EF66 and give another chance to Nikko G :)

Offline Estefa

• Super Hero Member
    • View Profile
    • Federflug
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2014, 05:25:30 AM »
Hi Michaela, I also find he Gillot 303 quite scratchy although I get it to write ok-ish, but I have to take care all the time so that the nib doesn't catch in the paper. It also works much better wih an adjusted oblique pen holder because you can lower the rake angle like shown here:

http://www.iampeth.com/lessons_getting_started.php

The expanation is in the PDF "Adjusting Your Premium Oblique Penholder". Look at picture B and see what he means! You can do this also by hand, but carefully press the wooden tip of the holder while adjusting the flange, so that the wood gets not damaged.

You could also try the Brause 76 (Rose nib), it is very flexibel, hair line maybe not so super fine but absolutely ok with iron gall ink - a very nice nib that gives beautiful stroke contrast and is much less scratchy then the Gillot. One of my favourites!

I also find the G nibs quite hard, although for really small Copperplate they are fine because it is easier to control the stroke width! Also for nearly unshaded Spencerian - very nice.

But it is often very much up to the personal taste of each one!
Stefanie :: Website :: Blog :: Instagram