Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
Tools & Supplies / Re: Diamine Inkvent 2022
« Last post by Aries M on December 03, 2022, 10:13:48 PM »
I agree with @AnasaziWrites , @K-2 ! Great use for solar storm.

Super eyecatching ink but does require lots of recapping and shaking to maintain the sparkle throughout when lettering. I decided not to recap and shake/dip for the end of "storm".. theres some glitter here and there but not enough for a full chamelon affect.
« Last post by Cyril Jayant on December 03, 2022, 08:28:39 PM »
@K-2
Beautiful work and lovely ink and thank you for share these talents.
Yule log ink seems to be more appealing to me as I am a fan of brown inks !!!!
« Last post by AnasaziWrites on December 03, 2022, 06:09:51 PM »
Yul Log

« Last post by AnasaziWrites on December 03, 2022, 06:08:37 PM »
@K-2
Great use of solar storm.
« Last post by K-2 on December 03, 2022, 04:32:30 PM »
@Aries M @Erica McPhee @tiffany.c.a @Zivio - You are all so kind about my drawings.  Thank you!  I don't know what to say.  I'm flattered!  Truly!  Glad to have the disciplined practice that working on Invent & Inktober with you all offers, and glad to bring a little smile to you too.

@AnasaziWrites - I live in a neighborhood called "Hunter's Park" and our local hockey rink, nestled in the woods, is called "Glen Avon" - so we've been calling our big guy, "The Monarch of the Glen Avon".  We have so many deer up here, they're kind of a menace to drivers.  A close friend of mine hit one last weekend.  Whenever this happens, the following is ritually intoned: 1. "Oh no! That's terrible" - 2. "Were you hurt?" - 3. "How's the car?" - 4. "Did you get a tag?" (We really do mean #1-3, but we're most interested in #4).

@tiffany.c.a - If you put shimmer ink into a fountain pen, gently roll the pen between your palms to put the shimmer into suspension every now and then.  Because it naturally settles in the lowest spot, it'll automatically fall toward the nib as you write.  Some pens do better than others with shimmer ink - for best results, choose a wide/stub/italic nib on a wet writer.  The Pilot Parallel pens are fantastic for shimmer inks!  I like to use their nibs in an Opus 88 demonstrator, because then you can see where the shimmer particles are and when you need to agitate them again.  With shimmer ink in fountain pens, it's good to clean them out more frequently though - I find that a spin in the ultra-sonic bath makes quick work getting the glitter out of the feed.

3. Solar Storm (chameleon) - A heavily saturated indigo blue ink with loads of holographic shimmer.  The ink itself shades well and has a clean reaction to bleach, but lacks chromatographic interest.  But then there's the new "chameleon" shimmer - I took a couple/few different shots in different lighting situations but it doesn't do it justice.  It looks green - gold - blue depending on the angle and intensity of the light, and left a diffuse sparkle all over the drawing that just didn't photograph well.  Sorry, friends - This one you gotta see in person!
Open Flourish | General Discussion / Re: IAMPETH virtual Nov. 2022: Wrap-up
« Last post by tiffany.c.a on December 03, 2022, 11:51:09 AM »

Ink Making - demo by The Creative Kinds

This demo was given by Bas and Nana. First of all, they were adorable. Business-wise, Bas and Nana make a great team. They make handmade watercolors and sell them through their Etsy shop.

Their products look great with some attractive and fascinating colors. I looked through the photos and most of their metallics/shimmers seem to show up equally well on white and black papers (they have helpful online color swatches and sample calligraphy using the color). They also have “crema” (matte) colors.

Their IAMPETH demo showed the process Bas uses to make the colors, and how the two of them test/critique the colors. Nana also demoed using their paint in a calligraphy example. The time and care it takes to create, test, and refine the colors is to be appreciated.

I’m not saying I recently bought any of their gorgeous colors, but you might see a future sample page using their paints. . .

[placeholder for future sample page]
« Last post by tiffany.c.a on December 03, 2022, 11:34:55 AM »
This might be a “duh” question, but when using the inks that people have been saying need a lot of shaking up to maintain the shimmer, how would one use that ink in a fountain pen? Would you have to shake the pen repeatedly? Or just not use it in a fountain pen?
« Last post by AnasaziWrites on December 03, 2022, 11:30:57 AM »
@K-2
On a trip to WY at Christmas in 2018 to visit my brother-in-law and his family, I took this photo near the house, and discovered why WY hunters are so successful--the game obey traffic signs.

Flourishing / Re: A Christmas Themed Flourish.
« Last post by tiffany.c.a on December 03, 2022, 11:29:26 AM »
Erica, both your posts look “swell” to me. (get it?)

The second one looks straight out of a golden age penman’s journal.
Flourishing / Re: A Christmas Themed Flourish.
« Last post by tiffany.c.a on December 03, 2022, 11:25:18 AM »
If I relate my flourishes to musical instrument learning, I’m still on 4th grade recorder!
But seriously, great analogy.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10