Author Topic: NEW - Pro Level Board  (Read 9851 times)

Offline Erica McPhee

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • Be brave. Love life!
    • View Profile
NEW - Pro Level Board
« on: August 17, 2014, 11:08:02 AM »
Hello all!

Just wanted to notify you, I have changed a few of the topics around. The following Topics are now in the "Pro Level" board:

Closed Flourish | For Members Only
Letter Business
Wedding Calligraphy

Now that we have grown quite a bit, I feel it is in the best interest for those of you pursuing calligraphy as a business for some of our topics to be for registered members only. This means you will need to be logged in to view these topics. While I still want to encourage discussion about running a calligraphy business, I also want to remain respectful to proprietary information. If I find the discussion too disclosing, I will consider creating a closed section with membership granted by permission only for those who are in business.

As always, I am open to suggestions and feedback.  :)
Warm Regards,
Erica
Lettering & Design Artist
Flourish Forum Shop
Instagram

Offline joi

• Super Hero Member
    • View Profile
    • www.bienfaitcalligraphy.com
Re: NEW - Pro Level Board
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2014, 11:16:58 AM »
erica - i think this is a great idea.  admittedly, i am a bit uncomfortable that i just posted what i charge, and i hope it will not spark a debate on fees, as it is a touchy subject.  but one that does need to be discussed - between professionals.

Offline Erica McPhee

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • Be brave. Love life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2014, 11:25:33 AM »
Thanks joi! No need to feel uncomfortable. I've never felt charges are secret - I used to have mine prominently displayed on my website. To me, nothing is more irritating than pursuing something only to find out half way in I can't afford it! I'd much rather be upfront.

However, with that said, as you saw, fees are a touchy subject for a variety of reasons. But hopefully, we can have open discourse about it. The fine line is when people are unsure how to arrive at those fees and need educating on how to go about developing their fee structure. I would prefer to address those questions privately.

We'll see how it goes!  :)
Warm Regards,
Erica
Flourish Forum Shop
Instagram

Offline Cecilia

• show love, share with love
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2014, 01:44:46 PM »

If I find the discussion too disclosing, I will consider creating a closed section with membership granted by permission only for those who are in business.

Hello Erica,
let me say first that I totally agree with your change and perspective regarding the pros threads.
I'm wondering how you will distinguish who is in a business from who's not (or worst lying about it); of course I'm talking about internationals.
Take me for example: I have my shop on Etsy where I put some of my works for sale and I make sales through direct contacts. I'm allowed by the Italian Fiscal Law to make business without a registered company up to a total yearly amount of some thousands Euros, so you will not see the name of my company on my blog or website because I don't need to run a company now that my business is a start-up. Yet, I'm on business.
I apologize if my question sounds silly, maybe I didn't understand your statement as it was originally intended.
Thanks!
Cecilia
My IG :: My FB Page

Offline AnasaziWrites

• Super Hero Member
  • Ad astra, per aspera
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2014, 03:56:54 PM »
Hello all!

If I find the discussion too disclosing, I will consider creating a closed section with membership granted by permission only for those who are in business.

As always, I am open to suggestions and feedback.  :)
Hi Erica,

I'm unclear exactly what this means. Is there some information or topic that only professionals would be able to see?

BTW, Received my copy of Dasherie and read it through today--absolutely terrific.

Mike

Offline Erica McPhee

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • Be brave. Love life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2014, 09:10:23 PM »
Hi Cecilia and Mike,
For the time being, I will leave it as is - anyone who is a registered member can view the boards once signed in. However, those who aren't members and aren't signed in, cannot see it. This prevents the casual web viewer from instantly viewing the information.

If we find there are topics people want to discuss which relate to the business of calligraphy that people would prefer potential clients do not see, we can decide if a "members-only by approval" section is needed. Discussing pricing is one of those topics that is very helpful to professionals or those looking to become pro but we might not want potential clients to view.

Cecilia, in terms of determining who is "in business," or even "wanting to get into business" I would have to determine a criteria such as: has an established website, has an Etsy shop, has an online portfolio, etc. And it may not only be who is "in business" but also what level of member they are. So for example, if someone is a "Full Member" with 100 posts or more, they would be granted access. It would basically just be to keep proprietary business information from being accessible willy nilly.

But we will cross that bridge when (or if) we get to it. And like I said, I am always open to suggestions/ideas.

Mike, thanks so much on the feedback regarding Dasherie! You made my night!  ;D
Warm Regards,
Erica
Flourish Forum Shop
Instagram

Offline Faeleia

• Bloop
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2014, 09:07:20 AM »
So thoughtful as always, Erica! :D

Offline Milonguera

• View Profile
    • Instagram,  My blog
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2014, 12:10:09 PM »
Maybe distinctions within the distinction of 'Pro' is also warranted--some who do business as calligraphers are also graphic artists and designers, and some simply do calligraphy.  I'm glad you're going to leave it as is for the moment, because by the time you think a change is truly needed, maybe I'll be in business, too. 
Debbie

Offline Starlee

• Super Hero Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2014, 08:05:59 PM »
I completely understand the logic of all this and agree, particularly with the members only access. Not that I'm anywhere near a professional level yet, I would love to get to be one day (it may become my plan B if research doesn't pan out the way I hope...or at least begin as a side business...perhaps after I have another couple of years under my belt). In the meantime, I do enjoy reading about how the calligraphy business works, and have been learning a lot about the logistics. Would hate to lose that. That said, I would totally understand, and support, any decision you choose to do down the road. :)
Star

Offline Lori M

• Calligraphy will prevail!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2014, 09:27:27 PM »
I completely understand the logic of all this and agree, particularly with the members only access. Not that I'm anywhere near a professional level yet, I would love to get to be one day (it may become my plan B if research doesn't pan out the way I hope...or at least begin as a side business...perhaps after I have another couple of years under my belt). In the meantime, I do enjoy reading about how the calligraphy business works, and have been learning a lot about the logistics. Would hate to lose that. That said, I would totally understand, and support, any decision you choose to do down the road. :)

Ditto to everything Starlee said -- this is my situation exactly.

Offline Moya

• Super Hero Member
  • all your gold are belong to me
    • View Profile
    • Calligraphy by Moya
« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2014, 12:38:34 AM »
I think it might be nice to have a 'professional calligraphers only' section - it's definitely good to be able to discuss industry matters without clients.  I'm sure you could give access on a case by case basis - obviously you know most of us here already, and you could just ask newcomers to show their website or their registered details.

(I'm in business as of TODAY!! I just registered my business name, and I'll be building myself a website this weekend :D So exciting!)

Offline Meredith S

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2014, 01:31:14 AM »

(I'm in business as of TODAY!! I just registered my business name, and I'll be building myself a website this weekend :D So exciting!)

How exciting, Moya! Congrats!

Offline Briana

• Love is all you need!
    • View Profile
    • Pickles 'N Voda
« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2014, 03:24:56 PM »
I think it might be nice to have a 'professional calligraphers only' section - it's definitely good to be able to discuss industry matters without clients.  I'm sure you could give access on a case by case basis - obviously you know most of us here already, and you could just ask newcomers to show their website or their registered details.

Congratulations, Moya! That is so exciting! Keep us updated :D

Also, I think I get what Erica is going for here. If I were getting married, say, and I got a quote from a calligrapher that I thought was way too expensive OR maybe I'm developing a budget for calligraphy in my wedding, I would Google "how much do calligraphers charge." A thread on the Flourish Forum might pop up, and since it's public I can read through everything without being a forum member. Or, I could make an account and peruse to get more info. That's not sinister (although there could be people who make it so), but it does put calligraphers on the forum in an awkward and exposed position. Am I on track with that?

You keep this forum in tip-top shape, Erica! Whatever you gotta do, do it.
Briana, aka Pickles 'N Vodka-- landscape designer, aspiring calligrapher, top-notch goofball
(facebook | 365 Messages of Love)

Offline lobsterpaws

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 21, 2014, 03:25:53 PM »
[ ... ]
 And it may not only be who is "in business" but also what level of member they are. So for example, if someone is a "Full Member" with 100 posts or more, they would be granted access.
[ ... ]

I guess I'd better stop lurking and start posting in preparation ;)

Offline Moya

• Super Hero Member
  • all your gold are belong to me
    • View Profile
    • Calligraphy by Moya
« Reply #14 on: August 21, 2014, 08:13:08 PM »
I guess I'd better stop lurking and start posting in preparation ;)

One of us! one of us! one of us!  ;)

Also, I think I get what Erica is going for here. If I were getting married, say, and I got a quote from a calligrapher that I thought was way too expensive OR maybe I'm developing a budget for calligraphy in my wedding, I would Google "how much do calligraphers charge." A thread on the Flourish Forum might pop up, and since it's public I can read through everything without being a forum member. Or, I could make an account and peruse to get more info. That's not sinister (although there could be people who make it so), but it does put calligraphers on the forum in an awkward and exposed position. Am I on track with that?

That's exactly what I'm thinking, Briana :) Already I've seen Flourish threads pop up in my occasional searches on similar topics.  I think it's almost necessary to have a place we can talk with a controlled audience!

Also, thank you for the encouragement! It's a little step, but an exciting one :D