Author Topic: Practice with ballpoint pen  (Read 22471 times)

Offline himasf

• View Profile
Practice with ballpoint pen
« on: June 15, 2016, 04:16:55 AM »

Medium point BIC on regular filler paper

Anyone practice with ballpoint pen? Nibs and ink are so inconvenient  >:( And with regular pens you don't have to worry about catching the paper. So easy! haha. But does it help? I've seen some calligraphers install ballpoint pen refills in oblique holders to do oval drills but I'm skeptical about how this helps with pointed pen. They're so different. Maybe it depends on the ball pen?

Offline prasad

• Super Hero Member
    • View Profile
Re: Practice with ballpoint pen
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2016, 04:36:26 AM »
First off,  This is just beautiful. 

I have been trying to improve my fountain pen writing and this is definitely going to be one of my practice reference sheets  :)
I don't use ball pens,  but I guess practise with them helps in understanding the letter shapes and forms without focusing on swells and pressure strokes.

Great writing
-Prasad
Never be afraid to try something new
Remember - An amateur built the Ark and Professionals built the Titanic
My Instagram

Offline Inked botanicals

• View Profile
    • My Instagram
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2016, 05:40:43 AM »
Oh wow!! I think that is just beautiful by itself!!

I think the point with practicing with pencil, ballpoint pen or gel pens is to build muscle memory and learn the letterforms in a more convenient and easy way. Then you can change to a nib and begin dealing with papel fibers and dipping in ink. Just one problem at a time!

But you have a point too on that doubt. Does it really help? I realized some times I do not hold the ballpen in the same way I would hold my holder and nib. It is so easy to use that I forget that you can't rotate nibs, for example. I suppose that do not help at all, creating the wrong muscle memory.

But, I do know that, even it maybe does not count as real dip nib practice, it can be a gorgeous style just by itself and you can use it for informal letters or even "low cost" calligraphy wedding or on-site jobs.
Alba.

Instagram: @inked_botanicals

Offline KrzysiekS

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2016, 06:20:17 AM »
Very nice, I don't know anything about spencerian, but I like the look of Your work.

However I hate BICs, they require too much pressure to get them working, I would much rather do it with fountain pet as it requires much less pressure.
If you do not have a fountain pen, please consider getting one of cheap Pilot pens, preferably Penmanship with EF nib. Pilot has an opinion of mass producing FP nibs with consistent quality.

Offline AndyT

• Super Hero Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2016, 07:52:42 AM »
I'm a fan of the yellow (fine) Bic ballpoint, and reckon it's a worthy writing instrument.  I have the Pilot Penmanship, and feel that the Bic beats it hands down for fineness of line and scope for getting some minimal shades.  Furthermore, any old paper will do (very often the margins of the newspaper next to the crossword in my case - try doing that with a fountain pen).  In my experience the Bic will write with minimal pressure, barely any more than is required for the Pilot.  This isn't to do down the latter, or fountain pens in general, but ballpoints come in for quite a lot of sneering when in fact they are cheap and have some useful properties.  Incidentally, I don't believe there is a better make than Bic at any price.

As regards putting one in an oblique, seems completely pointless to me.  Using a dead one to make a holder ... that's a different matter.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2016, 09:25:08 AM by AndyT »

Offline Scarlet Blue

• I do joined up writing.
    • View Profile
    • Wonky Words
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2016, 09:05:09 AM »
Yay for the BIC biro [yellow casing]!! I buy them by the box.

Offline FlowerCityLetters

• View Profile
    • Flower City Letters
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2016, 09:44:29 AM »
Wow that is incredible! I like to practice with pen sometimes (I like a pen I randomly found - it's a Staples postscript .7 pen), but I really don't know if it helps a lot? I hold a pen and my oblique holder a bit different, so I'm not sure it helps with muscle memory.

Offline jeanwilson

• Super Hero Member
    • View Profile
    • Pushing the Envelopes
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2016, 01:17:33 PM »
I agree that with any pen or marker or ballpoint the type of paper will make a huge difference. I also learned through teaching that students can learn a lot about rhythm when they use pencils and ballpoints. You may be able to develop your rhythm with do pens and fountain pens but if you are having trouble you might give pencils and ballpoints a try. It's very hard to predict which tip will be the one that facilitates the breakthrough. So try everything with an open mind and if something doesn't feel good just move on. Maybe the next thing will be the breakthrough.

Offline jeanwilson

• Super Hero Member
    • View Profile
    • Pushing the Envelopes
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2016, 06:12:52 PM »
I forgot to mention my very favorite pens which are Pilot G-Tecs. There is also a G-Tec-C. I don't know the difference. But I am obsessed with them. They are very fine and not like a ballpoint or gel pen. But the description says gel ink. The ink is not waterproof and I like to take a brush with water and dissolve the ink to get cool effects. They are fantastic for practice especially if you are hoping to make your everyday penmanship into something that is gorgeous.

You can see examples on my blog
pushingtheenvelopes.blogspot.com
on a phone, i think you have to go to - view a web version to do a search
then, there is a space to do a: Search This Blog
if you do a search for G-Tec
and there are 70+ examples of envelopes where I talk about G-Tecs
so I assume I used them on the envelope that is posted.
I don't have time to go back and look at all of them....

for anyone who has not seen my blog - i post a daily envelope - many are mine - some are from penpals.
right now, there are a ton of envelopes that were sent to me by penpals.
if you go back in the archives - there are a lot more that are mine.
they include some traditional calligraphy, but a lot of them are just wild and crazy ways to play with the alphabet.
i discovered in my teaching that students could relax a bit when they allowed themselves some time to go crazy and bust out of the strict guidelines.
the blog grew out of my classes and requests from students to share ideas and inspiration.
another word to search is: stealworthy
i use it frequently when someone sends me a good idea on an envelope.

Offline June P

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2016, 08:38:25 PM »
Stunning ~ thank you for sharing Himasf. 
My favorite pen is the uni*ball SigNo & i like pilot pens, too. This looks like fun to try.
See with what large letters I have written to you with my own hand! Galatians 6:11

Offline James P

• It is a good feeling to be among fellow Scribes
    • View Profile
    • Current Actively Maintained Web Sites and Pages
« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2016, 09:30:32 PM »
I wrote this over twenty years ago when ballpoint type pens were not as sophisticated as they are now. One of my students asked what italic writing would look like when rendered with a BIC ballpoint pen -- I dashed it off kind of hurredly and I am a little embarrassed by the quality of some of the letterforms. Now I have made my excuses ...............

James

Offline sybillevz

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2016, 03:09:55 AM »
This is spectacular, James ! I'd say if it allows you to write more, it's always good  ;)

Offline syed sha abulhassan Quadr

• Syed is Here😉
    • View Profile
    • My etsy shop
« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2016, 05:59:09 AM »

Medium point BIC on regular filler paper

Anyone practice with ballpoint pen? Nibs and ink are so inconvenient  >:( And with regular pens you don't have to worry about catching the paper. So easy! haha. But does it help? I've seen some calligraphers install ballpoint pen refills in oblique holders to do oval drills but I'm skeptical about how this helps with pointed pen. They're so different. Maybe it depends on the ball pen?

First of all very beautifully done bro,
Secondly  at what speed did you executed that piece.
I do practice with ball pen coz it is found almost anywhere and works on any paper including tissue 😉
My main motive to learn with ball pen is letter forms and  some fun writing.  Secondly time pass 😁
As far as inserting ball point refill in oblique is out of my mind...  I really doubt we'll that help....?...
BTW your penmanship and consistency is something I wanna get at my speed😊

With regards
-syed-
With regards
-Syed-

Offline James P

• It is a good feeling to be among fellow Scribes
    • View Profile
    • Current Actively Maintained Web Sites and Pages
« Reply #13 on: June 16, 2016, 07:24:17 AM »
This is spectacular, James ! I'd say if it allows you to write more, it's always good  ;)

Thank you very much sybillevz -- I have posted the image over in the Broad Edge Pen Calligraphy Section where it properly belongs -- my apologies to himasf.

James
« Last Edit: June 16, 2016, 07:26:05 AM by James P »

Offline himasf

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 18, 2016, 10:00:40 PM »
First off,  This is just beautiful. 

I have been trying to improve my fountain pen writing and this is definitely going to be one of my practice reference sheets  :)
I don't use ball pens,  but I guess practise with them helps in understanding the letter shapes and forms without focusing on swells and pressure strokes.

Great writing
-Prasad

Hi Prasad. I tried to copy a Madarasz letter in the Spencerian and Ornamental Penmanship vol II book. I appreciate the compliment but the original will serve you better as reference. I see your point about focusing on letter shapes with a ballpoint. In that aspect I can see how a ball pen would help.