Author Topic: scraps from Open Study nights at Iampeth  (Read 3638 times)

Offline himasf

• View Profile
scraps from Open Study nights at Iampeth
« on: August 06, 2016, 11:55:04 AM »
Just some of my scraps from the convention's nights of practicing.  I'm very apologetic about my calligraphy attempts (maybe too much so) and get anxious when people watch me write but somehow I got the courage to hang out at night in the convention room to practice. So nice to see other people working on their Spencerian. I have to admit I was secretly hoping people would be interested in how I wrote. I miss those nights, y'all.  :'(

Offline himasf

• View Profile
Re: scraps from Open Study nights at Iampeth
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2016, 11:56:10 AM »
(holy smokes, that's a big pic. i'm sorry. i feel so exposed  :-[ )

Offline Erica McPhee

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • Be brave. Love life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2016, 10:33:50 PM »
Don't be sorry! It's fantastic and we appreciate you sharing with us. I'm just going to sit and stare for a bit.  :)
Warm Regards,
Erica
Lettering & Design Artist
Flourish Forum Shop
Instagram

Offline Rednaxela

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2016, 12:49:28 AM »
Terrific work @himasf! Certainly nothing to be apologetic about.

Last week I realised in order to make a next step I would have to go back to the absolute basics and build my Spencerian from the ground up. Found myself struggling with something as 'simple' as the capital stem. Struggling just to get the compound curve right, the oval, the transition from one to the other, not to mention the timing of the shading. Or when I think of the capital I, just the entry stroke, which has to be slightly curved, slightly slanted, etc. Man, so hard. And then I see this. To my eye, your work is from another galaxy.

Thank you so much for sharing, it's so inspirational!
-- Alexander --

Offline himasf

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2016, 02:48:03 AM »
Thank you!

@Rednaxela Yes, so difficult. There's a lot of stuff to keep in mind as you write. Executing caps swiftly is a constant challenge >_<. Thanks for the kind words.

Offline FlowerCityLetters

• View Profile
    • Flower City Letters
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2016, 08:32:36 AM »
I am very interested in how you write - I wish I could watch! This is wonderful, and kudos for you for getting the courage to write in front of people.

Offline tmtcalligraphy

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2016, 12:03:52 PM »
Holy Smokes!! I didn't know you were at the Convention!!! I'm SOOO SAD We didn't Meet!! I wasn't able to come to the study nights because I was staying out of town. Your Work is UH..MA...ZING!!!! I need to get caught up,on Letters I owe people... You! Thanks for Posting This!! I LOVE Your Work!!!
Just some of my scraps from the convention's nights of practicing.  I'm very apologetic about my calligraphy attempts (maybe too much so) and get anxious when people watch me write but somehow I got the courage to hang out at night in the convention room to practice. So nice to see other people working on their Spencerian. I have to admit I was secretly hoping people would be interested in how I wrote. I miss those nights, y'all.  :'(

Offline Scarlet Blue

• I do joined up writing.
    • View Profile
    • Wonky Words
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2016, 09:46:16 AM »
James, have you any Youtube clips of you writing?

Offline Daniel Mastrofski

• View Profile
    • Calligraphy by Daniel Mastrofski
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2016, 01:45:52 PM »
What is the black paper brand? I am really into the Shakespeare lettering!
Instagram : @danielmastrofski

Offline himasf

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2016, 02:10:51 PM »
@Daniel Mastrofski  this is Docuworks black legal pad by Norcom. Got it from ebay.

@Scarlet Blue nope

@tmtcalligraphy aww that's too bad! That's what i get from not logging in to instagram of all days! I was there most nights writing and giving advice i'm not qualified to dole out haha.

Thanks for the kind words. I hope this forum doesn't get tired of my Spencerian. Would love to see you guys post too! Make this part of the forum more active.

Offline tmtcalligraphy

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2016, 04:22:10 PM »
I Might get up the nerve to post my Spence... I've never posted any of my own work on here... Just Instagram. Hmm... I'm not sure why I haven't... That needs to change!! Wow... Glad we had this conversation!!
I wasn't there at night... Unfortunately!! I Missed Sooo Much!! Dang It!!

@Daniel Mastrofski  this is Docuworks black legal pad by Norcom. Got it from ebay.

@Scarlet Blue nope

@tmtcalligraphy aww that's too bad! That's what i get from not logging in to instagram of all days! I was there most nights writing and giving advice i'm not qualified to dole out haha.

Thanks for the kind words. I hope this forum doesn't get tired of my Spencerian. Would love to see you guys post too! Make this part of the forum more active.

Offline JanisTX

• Super Hero Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2016, 06:08:20 AM »
@himasf:  I'm sorry that I missed you at IAMPETH!  I looked for you &'Heebs & never found you!  Maybe we can meet up next time!

I didn't spend much time in the practice room, but I've been practicing like mad!  I'm trying to convince my hand to forget Copperplate & become friends with Spencerian, but it's hard!  Your samples are gorgeous!  You have nothing to be shy about!!

Janis