Author Topic: Starting FF Calligraphy Lessons  (Read 1051 times)

Offline Lyric

• View Profile
Starting FF Calligraphy Lessons
« on: May 19, 2021, 09:30:40 AM »
So, my "Yeah buts are . . . "

After reading Jean Wilson's advice re. wispy hairlines I did this practice.  I still need to acquire McCaffery's ink and a Hunt 22, fyi.

This was done with Higgins (I simply must use up what I have.  Thankfully not much to do).

the Full Pressure Strokes - Hiro Nib.  My Hiro runs out of ink with each stroke.  Don't like it.

Switched to Tach G for the rest of the Worksheet 1.  I like the feel of it; not crazy about the flex/shade capability.  But, Jean Wilson mentioned some good points for my practice such as for now worry about my entrance/exit strokes and not the shade.

Plan on more practice later today repeating this exercise and possibly doing Worksheet 2.  It will be done with my current fave, Leonardt Principle EF and with Higgins and Walnut crystals ink.

If there is another place for sharing/showing/getting critiqued; please let me know.

Thank you.

P.S.  Thank goodness for Paper & Ink Arts "My Rewards" program.  I was able to go and purchase Hunt 22 nibs and some McCaffery's Indigo ink.  Yay!
« Last Edit: May 19, 2021, 09:58:27 AM by lyric »
Cheerfully,
Lyric

Offline Lyric

• View Profile
Re: Starting FF Calligraphy Lessons
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2021, 07:24:58 PM »
More practice today.
Cheerfully,
Lyric

Offline jeanwilson

• Super Hero Member
    • View Profile
    • Pushing the Envelopes
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2021, 05:00:36 PM »
This will be repeat for Lyric - but I think it bears repeating.
There are many different styles of teaching - and often times people who start teaching feel like the way they learned was the *best* way because it worked for them. When I started teaching, I called it *showing* -as in- I can show you how to follow the directions in a book.

I did not make any judgment about which was *best* - the historical styles or the new bouncy contemporary styles. I often had students pursuing both directions in the same class. I had picked up a lot from all the different classes and workshops that I had taken with the true rock stars in calligraphy.

Something that I think helps a lot - no matter where you are on the learning curve - is to practice your letters in groups.
The space between the letters is JUST AS IMPORTANT as the letters themselves.
So, practicing letters in groups will double your skill-building.

Why make 5 rows of the letter i and 5 rows of the letter n - when you can write the word - in - 5 rows - and also practice your word spacing?
Letter spacing and word spacing are essential -
The way letters join is an essential part of the script styles.

Lyric -- you have put in a ton of hours -- and I know that you have made a lot of progress.
I really hope that you can put letters together and also maintain proper word spacing between the groups -
Your single letters are just fine -- but, I think they will be even better if you allow them to *join* and contribute to a beautiful page of texture.

I frequently see examples of beginner work that is very nice- but there is way too much space between the words.
So many people remember their lessons from first grade and put a *finger width* between each word.
That was fine in first grade -- but if you look a page of beautiful script done by someone like John Stevens, you will see much less than the width of a finger. The amount of space that a lower case I takes up is good for starters.

I look forward to seeing a page of joined letters with beautiful letter spacing, Lyric :-)

Offline Lyric

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2021, 06:45:36 PM »
This will be repeat for Lyric - but I think it bears repeating.

The space between the letters is JUST AS IMPORTANT
So, practicing letters in groups will double your skill-building.

Why make 5 rows of the letter i and 5 rows of the letter n - when you can write the word - in - 5 rows

Lyric -- you have put in a ton of hours -- and I know that you have made a lot of progress.
I really hope that you can put letters together and also maintain proper word spacing between the groups -
Your single letters are just fine -- but, I think they will be even better if you allow them to *join* and contribute to a beautiful page of texture..

I look forward to seeing a page of joined letters with beautiful letter spacing, Lyric :-)

Seeing this now before turning in today's work.  Soooo, tomorrow I will.work with this in mind. 

Thank you for the reminder. 😊
Cheerfully,
Lyric

Offline Lyric

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2021, 06:47:05 PM »
FF Lessons 4 and 5.  I had better find no. 3 😳.
Cheerfully,
Lyric

Offline Lyric

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2021, 08:00:15 PM »
Why make 5 rows of the letter i and 5 rows of the letter n - when you can write the word - in - 5 rows - and also practice your word spacing?  Letter spacing and word spacing are essential - The way letters join is an essential part of the script styles.

Heeding your advice I started doing words yesterday.  Initially I thought they are too far apart.  If the entrance/exit strokes were darker I think they would not look as far apart.  What do you think?

Thank you, Jean, @jeanwilson .
Cheerfully,
Lyric

Offline jeanwilson

• Super Hero Member
    • View Profile
    • Pushing the Envelopes
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2021, 07:03:32 AM »
On the third and fifth line (of the 5 lines of words) there are some word spaces that look right - to my eye which prefers the tighter spacing.

I remember the suggestion from my first teacher - to imagine an invisible letter lower-case-i in between each word.
Or after you exit a word - just drop your nib straight down - and place it on the baseline - directly below where the exit stroke ended.
This gives enough word space.

This is a personal preference thing - but, if you look at a full page of writing with generous word spacing - those spaces create *rivers* of space that can be very distracting (to some people)

I think that McCaffrey's ink made a big difference. Your lettering looks a lot more delicate and refined. Yay!

Offline Lyric

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2021, 07:26:36 AM »
On the third and fifth line (of the 5 lines of words) there are some word spaces that look right - to my eye which prefers the tighter spacing.

Gotcha!

I think that McCaffrey's ink made a big difference.

Sweeeet!  Thank you for sharing Mr. Sull's advice to you.  As you stated, Mc has many colors and for that I am glad because colors make me happy. 

Hmm, wonder if I can sell all the other inks I have been amassing this last year, LOL?  That is, except my walnut.  I kinda like the sepia thing.   :)

Your lettering looks a lot more delicate and refined. Yay!

THIS HAS MADE MY DAY - and it's early.  Thank you for this encouragement.

Onward and upward!
Cheerfully,
Lyric

Offline Erica McPhee

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • Be brave. Love life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2021, 08:35:45 PM »
Fantastic feedback from Jean!

Oh boy - what a difference 8 years make. My calligraphy has improved so much since I made these worksheets. And yours will, too! You have done great with these lessons but I would suggest it's time to move on to something a bit more challenging and more technical. Your work will only be as good as your exemplar and honestly, there are much better ones out there.

Have a try at this one: Engrosser's Script lowercase.  ;D
Warm Regards,
Erica
Lettering & Design Artist
Flourish Forum Shop
Instagram

Offline Lyric

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2021, 06:52:10 AM »
Your work will only be as good as your exemplar and honestly, there are much better ones out there.

Have a try at this one: Engrosser's Script lowercase.  ;D

Okie, Ms. Erica.  Thank you.
Cheerfully,
Lyric