Author Topic: Fixatives - Spectrafix Degas Fixative or alternatives?  (Read 664 times)

Offline Ashley K

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
Fixatives - Spectrafix Degas Fixative or alternatives?
« on: June 10, 2022, 05:31:36 PM »
Hi ya’ll! I know there have been a few threads on fixatives over the years, but I was wondering if anyone had any experience using Spectrafix Degas Fixative specifically. It’s a casein fixative that I picked up from John Neal Booksellers as an alternative to aerosol fixatives, but I’ve sprayed like six whole layers of this stuff, and no matter what I do, my Dr. PH Martin’s Bleedproof White still smudges when I run a vaguely damp finger over it.

Do I just need more layers? Is there another fixative you recommend?

Thanks in advance!

Offline Erica McPhee

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • Be brave. Love life!
    • View Profile
Re: Fixatives - Spectrafix Degas Fixative or alternatives?
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2022, 10:31:36 PM »
I have not used that so I look forward to any other answers. I have had an envelope delivered to me that used Dr. Martin’s bleedproof white and it got wet and almost all of the address washed off! I think the only reason it made it to me was because my mailman knew I got tons of calligraphy envelopes and my name was still readable. Doesn’t stop me from using it though.  ;D
« Last Edit: June 11, 2022, 11:32:16 AM by Erica McPhee »
Warm Regards,
Erica
Lettering & Design Artist
Flourish Forum Shop
Instagram

Offline Ashley K

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2022, 11:48:22 PM »
I LOVE Bleedproof White! I lived in SoCal for four years and never even thought about rain, but it's pouring in Oregon now so I'm on hyper-alert.

I've done 10 layers of the Spectrafix, and the paper is curling, and I don't think I'm any closer to waterproof. I think it's meant more for sealing in watercolors and stuff, so you can do calligraphy on top of it. Oh well, lesson learned. 😅

If anyone else has used it, I'd love to hear their experiences too!

Offline Erica McPhee

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • Be brave. Love life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2022, 11:45:20 AM »
I love it, too. I saw a review for SpectraFix SFX-31270 Fixative Spray that is also casein based and it says it makes the piece waterproof but is still workable so the manufacturer does not recommend it for a final coat. Perhaps the one you are using is similar?
Warm Regards,
Erica
Lettering & Design Artist
Flourish Forum Shop
Instagram