Author Topic: Long Paper Recommendations?  (Read 464 times)

Offline Staracalligraphy

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
Long Paper Recommendations?
« on: November 18, 2022, 04:54:41 PM »
I have a commission project - a poem - that will come out longer than A4.

Does anyone have any recommendations for where I can look for a good paper that is as wide but longer than A4?

I'll be using a Finetec Coliro for ink (probably Aztec Gold), so need paper that will take that ink nicely. I am unsure how to know if the ink will work without buying a whole bunch of paper and using it all up as testers!

Thank you : )

PS - I am based in the UK, and my deadline is mid-December

Offline Erica McPhee

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • Be brave. Love life!
    • View Profile
Re: Long Paper Recommendations?
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2022, 09:44:27 PM »
I would consider buying a paper like Arches Text Wove or Rives BFK and cutting it to size. These both take pen and ink well. I’m hopeful others will respond. Good luck with your project!
Warm Regards,
Erica
Lettering & Design Artist
Flourish Forum Shop
Instagram

Offline Staracalligraphy

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2022, 04:28:34 AM »
Thank you SO much!

Other suggestions welcome but I will definitely check these out : )

Offline K-2

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2022, 02:07:23 PM »
@Staracalligraphy - @Erica McPhee has it exactly right -- use big paper and cut it down.  That way you can cut a test strip and see how the ink takes on it first, and still have plenty left for your project.  Lots of art supply places sell paper samplers, so you get a few different types to try.

In addition to Erica's on-point suggestions about Arches Wove and Rives BFK, most watercolor paper will do nicely with most ink.  And those Coliro metallics work great on almost any paper.  If it's just the calligraphy and no ink washes or watercolors, 90lb/200gsm paper will do just fine, with no bleeding, but heavier paper may feel more luxurious.  For calligraphy (especially pointed pen), probably you don't want rough textured paper - you're looking for hot press / "grain satine"; Bristol is great for just pen & ink too (super smooth, no bleeding, no show-through).

And if you use paper that is quite a bit larger than you need, you can write first and then crop after (with a straight-edge & roller cutter).  And in this manner your text comes out nicely centered with optimal margins!

Best wishes for your project!