Author Topic: Diamine Inkvent 2022  (Read 5460 times)

Offline AnasaziWrites

• Super Hero Member
  • Ad astra, per aspera
    • View Profile
Re: Diamine Inkvent 2022
« Reply #30 on: December 07, 2022, 10:05:32 AM »
@AnasaziWrites - That's a great chameleon drawing! (and you know - it took me a long time to learn how to draw things; keep drawing and build confidence).

You are most kind in your appraisal of my amateur attempts to draw. Thank you. By the time I figured out how to bring out the green in this ink, it was mostly done, and the red predominates. Oh well. A learning experience.
  I see you used some bleach on your Ghost drawing!  great effect!

Ya, I thought I'd give it a try. I wrote the word "ghost" in Kurrent first, and was unimpressed--looked like a simple grey ink, but usable with pointed pen. In doing the drawing, I, too, discovered it is much more interesting. Very nice twilight   
colors. Thought I'd give the bleach thing a try. You mentioned experimenting with different concentrations--I see why. At full strength--total bleach out. At 1/4th, left a little blue, which was nice. Luckily, we have that splash control clorox--it's greater viscosity seems to make it easier to control.

Your ghost ship is masterful, @K-2. Suitable for framing, and my favorite of yours this inkvent season.
Do treat us to more extraordinary work.
@Aries M - I really admire your copperplate, with the sharp, square finish to the p's and that stunning capital S!  You might see that red sheen on "Spruce" from a fountain pen, if you use Tomoe River paper or a heavier watercolor paper.

6. Ghost (standard) - This may seem like it's going to be a modest light grey ink without any fancy shimmer or sheen, that might even been a little watery... Put all that aside, it's got subtle chromatography, bleeding out cool pale blue and warm taupe, with a great reaction to bleach. It did well for calligraphy too! even the hairlines on the pointed pen script! and such enormous potential for a drawing ink! 

In my Fliegender Holländer drawing, to give the impression of the ghostly sails, I capitalized on that reaction with bleach that AnasaziWrites showed us.  What a fun ink to splash around!

Offline AnasaziWrites

• Super Hero Member
  • Ad astra, per aspera
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 08, 2022, 09:35:00 AM »
Alpine

Lots of shimmer in this green, which may bleed out into green-blue and a hint of yellow. Would be good for addressing Christmas envelopes, which will take most of my time the next several days. Needs some gum arabic to use with pointed pen. Nice. No time for drawing today.

Offline AnasaziWrites

• Super Hero Member
  • Ad astra, per aspera
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 08, 2022, 05:18:19 PM »
Jingle Berry

A standard ink, Magenta bleeding out to light magenta/rose. Not my favorite color, though might be used in a sunset painting or flowers. Okay right out of the bottle for pointed pen if the shades aren't large. Similar in color to McCaffery's Red-Violet, which I prefer to write with over this ink--finer thins.

Offline Aries M

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 08, 2022, 10:41:18 PM »

@K-2 what a compliment! Thank you  ;D I feel the same about your painting and drawings.. Id love to "see" things the way you do. Painting around negative spaces!? Not even in my day dreams  :P

Alpine and Jingle Berry.

Both lovely shades. I love the shimmer of Alpine but the shimmer makes it considerably less "green" in my opinion.

Jingle Berry worked great with the pointed pen. I think Ill be loading it in the fountain pen next!

Offline AnasaziWrites

• Super Hero Member
  • Ad astra, per aspera
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 09, 2022, 05:16:26 PM »
Cardinal

Love this shade of red, bleeds into more orange. Standard ink--nothing fancy but a beautiful color. Okay with pointed pen if you keep the shades modest. Probably gum arabic would help here.

From our driveway:

« Last Edit: December 10, 2022, 09:35:13 AM by AnasaziWrites »

Offline K-2

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 10, 2022, 02:23:34 PM »
@Aries M - what a compliment from you! I bet you could get good a drawing quicker than you think. Your high-level pre-existing skill as a calligrapher may transfer over to drawing more than you anticipate; it's all about the small motor skills, the willingness to practice regularly, and the eye for shapes. And it works in reverse too!  @Erica McPhee and @AnasaziWrites and others can vouch for my learning curve on copperplate, in which I started off Inktober on pretty shaky ground, and finished the month with a passable hand, if I do say so myself.

Mike - Nothing is cuter than a baby cardinal! I'm tickled that you got a new ink trick from me!  With the right paper/ink combo, you can lay down a field of ink, and then dip a nib in bleach and write with it.  I use the "splashless" bleach too, but notice that its binder makes it go off faster than plain (you get a cloudy blob in the jar). I'm always flattered by your kind words for my drawings - that ghost ship drawing might end up being my favorite all month too though.

I'm really falling behind in Inkvent! although I follow along every day to see what beautiful work gets posted. Work has been crushingly busy. I'm in a new position from where I was this time last year, and it turns out that I'm also much much busier. And family life, of course.

Since I haven't been posting the last few days, here's my offering of an Inkvent/Advent story for all you pen fanciers out there: I tried to reciprocate the Inkvent (not really a) gift (since I ordered it for myself this year, but told spouse I considered it a gift) from my spouse with a fancy Advent calendar in return. Spouse likes jam! Got spouse the deluxe Bonne Maman Advent Calendar containing 24 limited editions jams + honey in tiny glass jars! Figured this would result in at least 24 days of happy spouse. Then the other night spouse caught me cleaning out the tiny empty jars, removing labels.... and yelled, "YOU JUST GOT ME THAT JAM CALENDAR SO THAT YOU COULD HAVE ALL THE JARS FOR YOUR INK!!" My friends, I am offended. Offended! by that accusation.  ...Although I will admit that the jars are essentially perfect for ink...  As I often say to spouse, "How dare you! I resemble that remark!"

7. Alpine (shimmer) - an earthy green with beautiful shading and chromatography giving out dark khaki green, mushroom taupe, celedons and robin's egg blues, robed in a silver shimmer.  Pale blue reaction to bleach!  well behaved on broad edge and pointed nibs.  What an ink!

Alas, the drawing is not my best work.  I overcommitted to this ridiculous drawing of Neuschwanstein Castle in the German Alps, and then I got really busy at work, and kind of lost interest in it before I really finished. Sometimes it just works out that way.

Offline AnasaziWrites

• Super Hero Member
  • Ad astra, per aspera
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 10, 2022, 05:53:21 PM »
Dusted Truffle

Shimmer ink. Works okay right from the bottle with pointed pen. Needs to be shaken frequently, or no shimmer.
Rather boring color for me, but I'm sure @K-2 will do something fabulous with it.
Reminds me, though, of a trip we took in 2014 to the Bordeaux region of France where we visited a truffle farm. A great dog hunted and found the truffles, and we had a 5 course meal, with each course containing truffles. Very tasty.

Offline AnasaziWrites

• Super Hero Member
  • Ad astra, per aspera
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 12, 2022, 12:09:54 PM »
Appletini

Day 11

A standard ink, nice fresh, spring green, bleeding to yellow and light blue. Okay for pointed pen if the shades are not large. Interestingly, the thins appear more yellow than the thicks. Reminds me of spring grass or green apples. I like the color. No time for drawings right now, maybe next week.

Offline AnasaziWrites

• Super Hero Member
  • Ad astra, per aspera
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 12, 2022, 12:25:59 PM »
Memory Lane

Day 12

A shimmer ink, lavender I would say, bleeding to rose and light blue. I could see somebody's grandmother wearing a shawl of this color. Needs to be shaken frequently to have the shimmer bits show. Writing this the first time, I bobbled the second letter, so immediately began again (without shaking the bottle and redipping) and ended up with limited shimmer in the first two letters. Beginning the third letter, I was interrupted by a phone call I had to take, and, upon returning to the lettering, shook up the ink and proceeded. Result--much more shimmer in the rest of the third letter (m) and the following three. Redipped the pen to start the capital "L" without shaking the ink, and that resulted in much less shimmer. In just a few seconds, the much of the shimmer had precipitated out. Probably a little gum arabic would slow the settling out of the shimmer, but otherwise, a lot of shaking necessary when using a pointed dip pen.

Offline K-2

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 12, 2022, 07:31:54 PM »
@AnasaziWrites - you are putting a lot of faith in my abilities to come up with something good for these inks.  I'm afraid that "Alpine" was a bit of a disappointment (after "Ghost" as any rate).

I'm with @Aries M with regard to the stellar qualities of "Jingle Berry" though!

8. Jingle Berry (standard) - a saturated magenta - not much in the way of chromatography, but a lovely, even shader, from that bold raspberry right down to a petal pink.  Beautiful definition for calligraphy, with great hairline control even without gum arabic.  a rather over-blown reaction to bleach though - I'll need to experiment with dilutions, but it looks like it just blows straight out to bright white.

Now, I always surprise myself by how much I like to draw with pink ink.  You wouldn't think it would be terrifically expressive, but this one gives some great tonal variations, and I couldn't resist the pun on Berry Gordy, the founder of Motown Records.  (Yes, it's "Berry" not "Barry" Gordy.)  What a legend!

Offline tiffany.c.a

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: December 12, 2022, 10:54:32 PM »
AnasaziWrites, your writing of that style of letters has gotten very good.

K-2, that portrait is fab!

Aries M, your reviews and writing are a delight.

I’m enjoying seeing everyone write/draw with these inks.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2022, 10:58:53 PM by tiffany.c.a »

Offline AnasaziWrites

• Super Hero Member
  • Ad astra, per aspera
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: December 13, 2022, 05:23:52 PM »
Upon a Star

day 13

Very interesting "chameleon" ink. A lot going on here. Goes on blue-black, bleeds out to various shades of blue. Pretty good with pointed pen, but again, has to be shaken frequently. Dries in all sorts of colors. This should be fun to draw with.

Offline K-2

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: December 14, 2022, 07:25:42 PM »
@tiffany.c.a - Thank you for your support for all of us Inkventors!

@AnasaziWrites & @Aries M - You're both showing such terrific views of these inks!  I feel bad that I'm falling so far behind.  But we had a blizzard that put down 16 inches of snow so far (more yet to come), so I had a day of online meetings that I could doodle during.

9. Cardinal (standard) - a brilliant scarlet red with a bright white reaction to bleach.  You can draw out peachy pinks with some water, but it doesn't shade well.  In very highly saturated areas, there seems to be a touch of bronze sheen.  Much better for pointed pen than for broad edge.

The drawing is a riff on a portrait of Cardinal Richelieu, "The Red Eminence" - Chief minister to Louis XIII, and the villain of The Three Musketeers.  I lost control of the saturation on some of the shadowed areas.  It was kind of a difficult ink to draw with, because it doesn't shade & blend easily.  Sorry to be letting down the team here!

Offline Erica McPhee

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • Be brave. Love life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: December 14, 2022, 11:26:41 PM »
Absolutely stunning. This whole thread has been amazing.
Warm Regards,
Erica
Lettering & Design Artist
Flourish Forum Shop
Instagram

Offline AnasaziWrites

• Super Hero Member
  • Ad astra, per aspera
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: December 15, 2022, 09:45:29 AM »
@tiffany.c.a - Thank you for your support for all of us Inkventors!

@AnasaziWrites & @Aries M - You're both showing such terrific views of these inks!  I feel bad that I'm falling so far behind.  But we had a blizzard that put down 16 inches of snow so far (more yet to come), so I had a day of online meetings that I could doodle during.

Sorry to be letting down the team here!

You're not letting anyone down, to be sure. You are leader of this wonderful parade, and just leading from behind, which is fine in this case.

« Last Edit: December 15, 2022, 04:52:55 PM by AnasaziWrites »