Author Topic: Bloggy what?  (Read 11488 times)

Offline Erica McPhee

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • Be brave. Love life!
    • View Profile
Bloggy what?
« on: October 27, 2013, 12:01:41 AM »
I've had a blog for years. But somehow I fell asleep at the wheel when all the good blogging stuff was getting going. So now I am still trying to catch up. I absolutely love blogs but I do feel sometimes it's still in a vacuum. I can go from blog to blog of my favorites and see what they have been up to and post a comment but it's not a give and take. And it's been hard to keep up with all my favorites.

A website is a must these days and I also did web design for several years. I started using WordPress when you still had to do all the coding! Now it is sooo easy!

Have a question? Need advice or a second pair of eyes ... post away!
« Last Edit: November 02, 2013, 11:41:08 AM by Erica McPhee »
Warm Regards,
Erica
Lettering & Design Artist
Flourish Forum Shop
Instagram

Offline Mljohnson805

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
    • Johnson Design Offering Fine Hand Lettering, Illustration and Graphic Design
Re: Bloggy what?
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2014, 04:02:22 PM »
Erica,
I am new to blogs. Thanks for helping with my questions. Is the Forum a blog or web site?

My web site is there, www.mjohnsondesign.com, but it is so stiff and basic. All I could do with a Godaddy template. Would love some suggestions or tips on easy tools.

Can you use Illustrator and convert to HTML?
Is word press easy to use?

All of this information is so exciting, what a great service to the art community.

Mary Lou
Mary Lou Johnson

Offline Erica McPhee

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • Be brave. Love life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2014, 06:18:04 PM »
Hi Mary Lou,
This is a website but it's a certain kind (forum). So it has to use a particular online table software.

I have gone all WordPress for my sites. I have several plus I do our guild's site. I personally think WordPress (or Joomla) is the way to go. Once you get the hang of it, WordPress is really easy to use and sooo versatile.

Previously websites were created using HTML. I used Dreamweaver and Photoshop to create my old sites. But WordPress is a Content Management System (CMS) and it is so much easier to use and flows much better.

Now, with WordPress, many people have their blog and website all in one. So the Flourish Forum actually starts as a blog/website on the homepage. Then the Forum link is the "forum" portion.

I took a fabulous online class called The Blog Class by Jones Design Company. I knew a lot of what the class taught but the class was definitely worth it. She lays everything out start to finish all in one place. I can't recommend it enough. I am so happy I signed up for it.
Warm Regards,
Erica
Flourish Forum Shop
Instagram

Offline Mljohnson805

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
    • Johnson Design Offering Fine Hand Lettering, Illustration and Graphic Design
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2014, 10:13:11 PM »
Erica,
Thanks so much for the tip on Blog Class. Will check it out. Seems Wordpress is the way to go.
Mary Lou Johnson

Offline tangledpen

• View Profile
    • tangledpen
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2014, 06:04:50 AM »
Erica,
Do you have any recommendations regarding a host?

We have a personal website for ages (let me see... 12 years?!?! really?!?) and for this one I still fiddle with coding it myself, just for fun ;)
I also had a site for my tea business, also did the programming myself, but it was a very simple design adn I nly wanted and easy shopping cart (which I did with paypal)

But now I like to have a website with wordpress (as my blog is on wp and I like to incorporate it into the new page) and I'd like the option to include a shop later (for hopefully offering lettering and calligraphy services and such :D)

OK - enough questions, I think. Thanks so much in advance!
Jana

instagram.com/tangledpen

Offline Erica McPhee

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • Be brave. Love life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2014, 09:02:59 AM »
Hi Jana!
I love my host: A Small Orange. I was with another company for about 12 years and they went down hill over time. So when I started Flourish and Dasherie, I did extensive research for a good hosting company. This gem was the best I found.

I use ecwid for my shopping cart. So far so good! I found that process *really* confusing! This was the most simplistic one I found and had everything I needed for free. And when I need further reporting, I found their prices reasonable.

I hope that helps! Good luck!  :)
Warm Regards,
Erica
Flourish Forum Shop
Instagram

Offline Emily Martin

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
    • Scarlet Day Calligraphy
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2014, 09:09:32 AM »
I second the recommendation of A Small Orange for hosting—my resume website (www.emilyellen.com) is hosted through ASO and they've been tremendously helpful with some of the more complicated webby things that I just don't really have time to educate myself about.

I'm in the process of building out a calligraphy site, and I've decided to go all-in with Squarespace. I'm hoping that since I can do everything through them—domain name, hosting, buildout, and payment—that it will be fairly seamless.

Offline tangledpen

• View Profile
    • tangledpen
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2014, 10:06:07 AM »
Thank you both, Erica and Emily!

I'll check A small orange out. I looked into squarespace too - all sounds appealing, but still, I need to see more to compare ;) (I wish deciding was easier...)

So far,
Jana

instagram.com/tangledpen