Author Topic: Nay worries - I can take it.  (Read 260 times)

Offline Mark T

• No amount of evidence will ever persuade an idiot.
    • View Profile
Nay worries - I can take it.
« on: February 14, 2024, 04:45:35 PM »
I have been able to sit up in bed a little bit further the last week or so, although not for too long, but I owe 6 people this.
I am totally new to calligraphy, as I have said in the past, and I can't tell you how bloody frustrating it is to have all the gear, very little idea, but a bucket load of 'wanting'. I am the most impatient person I know, but I have given it my best shot, so here goes,.....
Self critique
1) I need to concentrate on keeping the 55 degrees angle. Bloody annoying!
2) Spacing is not good at all. Bloody annoying.
3) I don't like writing the letter 'r' the way I do at the moment. I'll keep going for a little longer and if I keep messing it up I'll change to writing it another way, likewise the capital 'Z'.
4) I need to concentrate on doing drills more. Much, much more, likewise with the alphabet.
(in short, I need much more practise, but I thunked it wise to look for advice)
Thanks in advance,

Mark.
Laughter is definitely the best medicine, but Wolves destroying WBA runs laughter close, and the Yankees winning the World Series is ................ laughter is the best medicine, remember?

Offline BrightStar

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
Re: Nay worries - I can take it.
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2024, 06:11:26 PM »
You hit a nerve with me. I too have a bucket full of wanting to write beautiful script. It is all I think about and have geared my life around. This desire borders on obsession and there is nothing wrong with it. There is a reason we feel this way.

I love that you chose dinosaur names to write. Very creative! At one time I could not write because I could not think of any text to copy. Then I chose my favourite book and committed to copying down just one page a day, everyday.

The sizes of your letters are good and the shapes will become more uniform with practice. Make sure you have your exemplars posted where you can always see them (not just on your phone or iPad). Pin them up on a wall so they are visible even when you are not writing.

I hope you are not ill. If so I wish you a very speedy recovery.

Offline Erica McPhee

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • Be brave. Love life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2024, 01:08:28 PM »
I’m working on a detailed response to this. Good on you for sharing your work for critique!  :-*
Warm Regards,
Erica
Lettering & Design Artist
Flourish Forum Shop
Instagram

Offline Erica McPhee

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • Be brave. Love life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2024, 05:19:19 PM »
Oh no - are you feeling unwell? I hope you are OK!

Practice makes progress! One of the things that really resonated with me was the frustration of having all the ‘want’ to accomplish a beautiful script and then the disappointment in what I created. It’s clear from your work, you have a good eye and the start of a lovely hand. This is my advice (for what it is worth)…

It looks like you are *writing* the words as you would with cursive. Calligraphy, especially Engrosser’s Script, is drawing of strokes. So I would suggest - for now - stop writing words and look at the basics. There are 8 basic shapes that make up every letter. I did a small tutorial to get you started: Basic Strokes of Engrosser’s Script

I’m looking forward to seeing your progress because I think you are going to develop a really nice style!

P.S. Good on you for putting your work out there and asking for feedback. That will take you far as you learn and progress, not being afraid to ask for help and being willing to change up what you are doing.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2024, 05:21:13 PM by Erica McPhee »
Warm Regards,
Erica
Flourish Forum Shop
Instagram

Offline Mark T

• No amount of evidence will ever persuade an idiot.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2024, 07:26:12 PM »
Hi,
I've been bedbound for 2 years, but touch wood, the new injections and steroids will put me back on the right road.
I can assure you, your advice is worth its weight in gold.
I 100% agree with what you wrote in respect of the 'writing the words instead of following the 8 basic rules'. I do admit though, it didn't resonate with me until last night when I started to use a different nib. (I'm now using a Geo W Hughes 'Paternal') I know the nib shouldn't make the difference in following the 'rules' but I found it stuck out like a sore thumb and slapped my face stoooopidly ;D
Todays practice honestly looks like it is written by somebody else, but still needs a lot of work, but it will get their.
Thank you for the tutorial. I'll be doing that tomorrow.
As for asking for help. I can appreciate that people are reluctant to ask for help, but I am of the belief that, especially on the internet, nobody can see a blush, and the guilt of asking should never worry anybody. Afterall - one doesn't learn by not asking for help/questioning what/if's and buts. Besides, I'm too thick skinned to care if anybody doesn't appreciate others asking for help. Plus, this place doesn't cater for arsehats.  ;);D ;D Only decent people here.

Mark
Laughter is definitely the best medicine, but Wolves destroying WBA runs laughter close, and the Yankees winning the World Series is ................ laughter is the best medicine, remember?

Offline Erica McPhee

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • Be brave. Love life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2024, 01:55:02 PM »
I am so sorry to hear that but hopeful you are going to turn the corner soon!

I am also very grateful you asked because it put my butt in gear to finish the tutorial I was contemplating for a long time. Also, so many others can benefit from one person being brave enough to ask the questions.

I completely believe it in terms of a new nib making a world of difference. I have experienced that myself many times over. And honestly, there is no calligraphy police that says you have to learn the 8 strokes and do it a specific way. You do what works best for you and for what your goals are. But I can tell you are an earnest learner and that frustration resonates with me.

Also, don't forget, you will go through periods where you feel like your work is looking great and then all of a sudden nothing looks good. That is a big part of the learning process and usually means you are about to have a break through in terms of improvement. I usually take a a day or three off and then go back to it and am pleasantly surprised at what has melded into my muscle memory.

Don't forget - have fun!  :-*
Warm Regards,
Erica
Flourish Forum Shop
Instagram

Offline Zivio

• Foment Compassion, Practice Peace
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2024, 12:09:52 AM »
... Also, don't forget, you will go through periods where you feel like your work is looking great and then all of a sudden nothing looks good. That is a big part of the learning process ...

OK, so I needed this. 
Foment Compassion, Practice Peace

Offline BrightStar

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2024, 11:37:46 AM »
... Also, don't forget, you will go through periods where you feel like your work is looking great and then all of a sudden nothing looks good. That is a big part of the learning process ...

OK, so I needed this.

Me too. I'm developing the arm writing technique and my work now looks worse than ever. I've increased the x-height on my guidelines so I'm forced to use my arm for ascenders and descenders. I'll keep on believing this is going to improve my handwriting whatever the style.